“Horrible experience”

Flinders Backpackers
Ranked #23 of 157 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in january - First off was presented with a rude receptionist with no clue about my booking - ok, no problem, these things happen. The room was packed with as many beds as possible, dirty and had 1 plug socket - great. I found that there was a lot of people travelling in groups of 6, and a lot of long termers who really aren't there to make friends - not the hostels fault just what I found. The place was over crowded, dirty, and I stayed out of it for as long as possible. Would not recommend - on hind sight would stay in st. Kilda.

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed in Flinders for 2 weeks and had an awesome time. They've got a great entertainment program for nearly everday in the week. And there is a free breakfast everyday and sometimes free dinner as well. They've got a large communal area with a pool table, table tennis and a TV, so it's easy to meet new people.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My friend checked in the hostel on 9May with booking prepaid. 2 nights later I went to Reception to extend the room for her. That awful receptionist Laurance questioned why didnt my friend hasn't came to check in and with no any ID resigtration in the system. I explained to him that my friend did check in and already staying in my for 2 nights, and she did pay for the room, otherwise how can she got the key from the reception!!! He didn't listen to me, then instructed me very rudely to ask my friend to come to see him at the reception immediately !! He said" is there any problem for you to come down to the reception ?" Which seemed thats my faults, he treated me like a suspect who tried to cheat the hostel!! Finally he found that was the new reception didn't check in the room into the system properly. Unbelievably, he didn't apologize about his rude and he everyone makes mistakes!! He questioned """ what is your problem ?""""" seriously ??? That's ridicous !!! To be honest, I've been staying in this hostel for 2 years and I treat all the receptions and housekeepers nice, I always buy them chocolate and food. Laurance his approach and attitude really amazed me!!! He said he is not representing the hostel but he is individual, so he didn't need to apologize and he believes everyone makes mistake is just make sense !!!! What? I never ever expected any service in a backpacker !!! But at least the basis respect !!! How come he sounds like he is uneducated !!! I will definitely never ever recommend my friends to stay here !! Even Ive been bringing them a lots of business !!! After this nightmare !!! Don't bother !!!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed at this hostel for 5 nights in March - in a 4 bed female room.
First the positive things - the location is good and I met some great people whilst staying there. Additionally I liked that there was free breakfast (toast and cereal). The bathrooms on my floor were (generally) quite clean and there were plenty of showers and toilets so you never had to queue. There are also big lockers in each room.

However, I think this hostel is overpriced. I was paying $32 a night for a tiny room, with no air conditioning or fan. It got very hot during the night, and the weather wasn't even that hot and sunny! When all 4 of us were in the room at the same time walking around/getting ready it was very cramped.
Also, the lifts were awful! One was out of use during my stay (someone told me it hadn't been fixed for well over 6 months) and the other lift was very temperamental - in fact, I got stuck in it twice - once with 9 other people for about half an hour and then again the next day for over a hour!! When we emerged from the lift the staff on reception didn't apologise, only laughed staying it needed to be fixed. After the experience I took the stairs, which was a pain as I was on the 10th floor.
Would not recommend and wouldn't stay again. There are much nicer hostels in Melbourne that cost the same, as I found out after leaving this place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

When I first got there and got to the room they gave me I though to myself there is no way I will stay in this room for a week, if they don't have anything better than that to offer me, I am leaving and will find another place to stay for the week. The room was disgusting but clearly the issue were the girls in that room as the other room they gave me was much better. The room are small but if you have respectful people in your dorm you will be ok. I was in a 4 bed dorm for female only and had a good stay overall. They should fix the bunk bed, mine was pretty shaky. The bed was moving a lot just climbing in it. The common area were clean. The location is great, you are close to the shopping area, the tram.

Room Tip: If you walk into a very disgusting room ask to change room, it is probably just the people staying i...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 14, 2013

i enjoyed here because of the people i met.
the 4 bed dorms are tiny, 3 bed dorms are larger (doesn't make sense i no!!)
showers/toilets are old could do with a refurb, they need to be cleaned a few times a day not just at 6am!
very noisy, lots of young people around - price reflects this as its the cheapest 4 bed dorm in melbourne!
reception staff are hit and miss! Rob and Jess and the other brown haired girl are the nicest, try to solve all the problems! laurence is rude and swears alot and has his heavy metal way to loud!
i arrived at 4am and coz i had no key card to access, i ended up in the bar asking a security guard to let me in (needs a buzzer)
i would only stay here if i was skinto again!!

Room Tip: ask for 03/04/22 they best rooms
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank emmajane6
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for one night with a couple of friends. The only good things about it are the location and the 24hr reception. They gave us one sheet and a pillowcase, but we had to use dirty, stained, gross doonas. The floor was so sticky I had to pull on my foot to take a step. The bathrooms were so dirty I skipped a shower. The rooms were so small and not at all big enough for 4 people. I dont expect good mattresses in hostels, but this one was so terrible i didnt sleep the whole night because the springs were poking into me. Even just for one night.. It was unbearable.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends