“mix feeling about this space”

Flinders Backpackers
Ranked #41 of 136 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Angus, Canada
“mix feeling about this space”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

When I first got there and got to the room they gave me I though to myself there is no way I will stay in this room for a week, if they don't have anything better than that to offer me, I am leaving and will find another place to stay for the week. The room was disgusting but clearly the issue were the girls in that room as the other room they gave me was much better. The room are small but if you have respectful people in your dorm you will be ok. I was in a 4 bed dorm for female only and had a good stay overall. They should fix the bunk bed, mine was pretty shaky. The bed was moving a lot just climbing in it. The common area were clean. The location is great, you are close to the shopping area, the tram.

Room Tip: If you walk into a very disgusting room ask to change room, it is probably just the people staying i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

i enjoyed here because of the people i met.
the 4 bed dorms are tiny, 3 bed dorms are larger (doesn't make sense i no!!)
showers/toilets are old could do with a refurb, they need to be cleaned a few times a day not just at 6am!
very noisy, lots of young people around - price reflects this as its the cheapest 4 bed dorm in melbourne!
reception staff are hit and miss! Rob and Jess and the other brown haired girl are the nicest, try to solve all the problems! laurence is rude and swears alot and has his heavy metal way to loud!
i arrived at 4am and coz i had no key card to access, i ended up in the bar asking a security guard to let me in (needs a buzzer)
i would only stay here if i was skinto again!!

Room Tip: ask for 03/04/22 they best rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank emmajane6
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hostel for one night with a couple of friends. The only good things about it are the location and the 24hr reception. They gave us one sheet and a pillowcase, but we had to use dirty, stained, gross doonas. The floor was so sticky I had to pull on my foot to take a step. The bathrooms were so dirty I skipped a shower. The rooms were so small and not at all big enough for 4 people. I dont expect good mattresses in hostels, but this one was so terrible i didnt sleep the whole night because the springs were poking into me. Even just for one night.. It was unbearable.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed in a female only 4-bed dorm, for 6 nights and thought it was fine. The room was clean when we arrived and we were given clean sheets & pillow case. The bathrooms on our level were as expected and I noted they were cleaned every morning. Great shower!!! My friend and I only cooked once while we were there, kitchen was very busy but adequate. The lounge area always had stuff going on, fun environment. The biggest downfall was the unfriendly staff and lift, during my stay one lift broke & they were always so full. The noise was nothing unexpected, you could hear the nightclub below on lower levels, but we couldn't from our beds. Slept fine except one night due to the temperature!! :) Have rebooked for another 6 nights later in the month, can't wait to be back in the CBD

Room Tip: Ask to be as high up in the backpackers as possible
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This place is a dump

If you Google this place and see the photo that comes up of one of the dorms, be warned that this place looks NOTHING like that. It's completely false.

We got to reception and the two guys sat behind the desk looked as us as if to say "Yeah... what do you want?" They weren't helpful at all. Didn't explain anything about the hostel to us and we were handed with a sheet and a pillow case to go and make our own bed up.

The room was disgusting. No air con (it was 40degrees the day we arrived) just one small wall fan. The window was cracked. There was chewing gum and plasters stuck to the wall. My mattress was ripped with pen ink all over it. The carpet was dusty and dirty

The bathrooms at first, looked okay actually. However, on closer inspection they were far from okay. The toilets weren't bad, I have to say, but the showers were vile. There were 5 showers and only 3 had shower curtains. The shower curtains were mouldy and were half attached onto the rail
The shower trays were filthy and clogged with hair
I woke up one night to use the bathroom and someone had been sick in the sink. 12 hours later the sick was still there.

Breakfast was shocking. Pieces of bread and huge value tubs of butter and marmalade full of other people's dirty knifes. There was only one toaster that worked properly. Genius. Can hardly call it breakfast really.

I've stayed in hostels all over the place and this was by far the worst
I've stayed in a hostel in Europe for a third of the price of this place that was spotless, friendly and served a proper breakfast and not just slices of bread

Also, not sure what's going on with the place but everyone staying there was as moody as sin (probably because of how nasty this place was)

Pay $5 extra per night and stay somewhere half decent rather than in this pit.

• Stayed January 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I think staying here, you need to be realistic about the fact that it is a backpackers. I've only stayed in the private rooms here and never a share room, so I've found that it has not been too bad. The pros of the place are really that it's cheap accommodation in the Melbourne CBD and that it is a fantastic location. The cons are that the shared bathrooms are not the best and that you really need to either thoroughly wash the kitchenware before you use it or just eat out. I've stayed there 3 times and never found it to be so noisy that I can't sleep, but it is not going to be quiet like a hotel because it's a backpackers! Overall, it is somewhere in a great location to base yourself in, not lounge around at.

Room Tip: If your budget permits, get a room with an ensuite so you don't have to use the shared bathrooms...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Awful hostel. Staff rude, hostel extremely dirty and not cleaned throughout our stay. Nightclub noise so so loud up until 5am! Room dark, dirty and too small for 4 people. Mould on windows, sheets on bed stained. People running around at all times screaming and waking everyone up with no sign of security or staff in general. Smoking in room from one guy and a couple were sharing a bed meaning 5 people in a 4 person room which was already cramped! Overall, a very very bad stay in an awful hostel.

Room Tip: You are better off sleeping in the street!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple