“Skips drinks, go straight to the table (if u can)”
Review of Red Spice Road

Red Spice Road
Ranked #43 of 4,065 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
The moon
“Skips drinks, go straight to the table (if u can)”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

You know that extreme flavour bliss moment when the group you are dining with all take that first bite and experience a combined bliss moment? Well that was what happened when we at the pork belly. This place delivers on flavour and quality, albeit service was a tad rough and ready.

My only real gripe is the front of house staff deliberately tell guests upon arrival that there is only a short wait and they can go to the bar until their table is ready. So we did this. Whilst having a few drinks, it's not hard to count about 30 empty tables in the restaurant where we could be sitting! It took me three requests before we finally (and I sensed reluctantly) were shown to our table. I have shared this anecdote with acquantices who all confirm the same has happened to them.... leads me to think it's a cheeky ploy to get you to bump up your spend on their alcohol.

That aside, great place to eat and worth a visit.

Melbourne, Australia
“Not exactly what I had in mind.”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We ate here on NYE with the set banquet menu. I liked the overall style and theme of the restaurant, although with the big tables it does not make for a romantic meal. We had 4 dizzy blondes to one side, a rather dull couple opposite , who's life ambition was to win big at Crown ( what a winner - not) and a guy groping his hooker girl-friend on the other side.
We would have quite happily have not sat with any of them.
The food was interesting, some I loved, some I did not.
I might try it again if I were nearby, but I won't be going out of the way to eat there again.

Hervey Bay, Australia
“Not sure what all the fuss is about”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Came here after hearing so many great things, including about the pork belly that was meant to be to die for.

There were four of us and we ordered 2 pork bellies and shared. The Asian slaw the comes with it was great and the kitchen was accommodating and did not put chilli in the sauce as requested. The rice was also fine. (Why I'm giving it an average and not poor.)

As for the pork, first let me say this. Pork is my favourite meat. I'm a sucker for crackling and make a pork roast and I'm yours. Make me pork belly and I'm yours forever. Whilst there was a decent amount of pork it was so fatty and greasy that I could not eat the whole piece and either could my husband. It was like eating lard with Chinese spices. I could not do it and thought maybe I'd just gotten a dud but my friends had the same issue and I could see a dish that came out a little while later with the same issue. It was gross!

The decor inside is nice and I like the idea of the communal tables but I'm yet to understand what all the fuss is about and wouldn't recommend this place with so many better options for the same price.

1 Thank Ktsnowowl
Melbourne, Australia
“Fabulous Food”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

A fabulous meal shared with family for my birthday. Lots of delicious small plates for sharing and the Pork Belly would probably be the best I've ever eaten. The Crispy Duck was great too.Our waitress was exceptional-friendly, efficient and professional. First plates were slow in arriving but from then on everything was served at the right intervals. Interesting wines too!

2 Thank Reindeer48
Vientiane
“Good food, after an eternity...”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

An interesting enough restaurant with a slightly hackneyed food theme - westernised south east asian - to match the 90s funky asian fusion design. So far so good.

Until you meet the service. A flustered and grumpy floor host, followed by an equally disinterested and patronising waiter ("Oh we don't do limonata here, you know, this is a South East Asian restaurant"), who along with his colleagues specialised in avoiding eye contact (a peculiarly Australian service trait).

The food - on a busy but not frantic lunchtime - took an hour and fifteen minutes, despite repeated assurances after 50 minutes or so that it was "just two minutes away". Ok, it was pretty good, especially the pork belly with apple salad and the braised beef cheek, but really??

My 9 year old son took it upon himself to write a scathing yet accurate comment at the restaurant...