“It's a bit in the middle of a spice road”
Review of Red Spice Road

Red Spice Road
Ranked #45 of 4,219 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Hi. I was given a cookbook and a gift card for this restaurant. We have cooked several dishes from the cook book and was excited about eating at the restaurant. Ambience was good and had a cocktail at the bar. All good. Initial service at the table was good but lacked a little attention during the meal with the wine service. The food was in the middle. The som tam was not spicy at all, the Cambodian chicken curry lacked depth of flavour and the tumeric lamb lacked the spice, however it came with a slaw and chilli, that saved the dish. We asked for a nuoc Cham to help spice up the dishes. I think they are catering for customers who want a taste of Asia without the spice or flavours. If that's your thing, you will love it.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

my hubby and I go often, the ribs and pork belly are the best! service is good. worth booking. weekday lunch

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Classic dishes as well as more unusual ones from around Asia. Fresh and vibrant ingredients with great spice profiles. Share plates and communal eating enable you try several dishes. Service is excellent and they are very accommodating in terms of dealing with allergies or intolerances. The decor is gorgeous - contemporary and artistic. I love the big ring table in the back. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Yeah that's about all I can say about this place. Very good food. Plenty of it. Flavors that I had never tasted before. Its not very often that I get to sample something that is foreign to me. This was all new every step of the way.

Atmosphere: Communal dining and quite trendy. Lots of well dressed people. I was here on business so I know nothing about the local vibe. Reminded me of many trendy places I have been to in Chicago. I have not been to many places in Melbourne but would consider going here again just because it was that good.

Service - was good. Waiter was nice enough. Food came out fast enough and I cant really complain about anything. I think that is a PLUS from my understanding as they apparently don't tip in AU as the minimum wage is high. So to see that the staff was providing exceptional service with no tip incentive is a plus.

Food - I honestly wish I can explain the flavors but I cant. I cannot compare it to anything I have had so I cannot tell you what to expect. The meats were cooked just right. The presentation great and although it looked like there was not much food, there was in fact a TON. We had the $65 banquet. Just when I thought there was too much food, out came more. I mean, come on! Who does this! Food this good usually comes in bite sized portions.

Overall. very impressed and that is extremely rare for me. Go and try it if you had the opportunity. I am actually willing to fly my wife with me if I need to go there again for work just so she can experience it for herself.

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We have been here more than 3 times now all with groups. Absolutely wonderful food, really good price wise if you are in a group and happy to share plates! Atmosphere is spot on! Definitely recommend to everyone!