“Too much service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rare Steakhouse Uptown

Rare Steakhouse Uptown
Reserve with
Rare Steakhouse Uptown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 3,850 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Australian, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Committed to serving premium quality produce in a welcoming environment, our beef is sourced from across the country from Gippsland to Rockhampton and is graded by Meat Standards of Australia for its cut and quality - Come experience premium beef, basted and grilled to perfection, at three steak restaurants in Melbourne's CBD.
Havelock North, New Zealand
“Too much service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Good food, wine and atmosphere but too much service. Four different waitstaff confronted us ready to "take our order" on six (6) occasions within a 10 minute period as we were enjoying a glass of wine. I finally had to say that when we were ready I would stand up and wave at whomever was nearby. This may sound silly but when one is constantly interrupted whilst having a serious conversation it is more than annoying. Otherwise it was pricy but good.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Serendipity...well, almost”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Wasn't really looking for this place when I stumbled across it during my visit to Melbourne. The location can be a bit hard to find for those who are not familiar with Melbourne. The setting and ambience were pretty standard. Service was good with courteous and informed staff. Ordered Mayura Station Porterhouse Wagyu. I find the price reasonable and the steak cooked to perfection. The steak fries as the side was also very delicious. I would recommend this place to any travelers looking for a good steak house in Melbourne. What a great find in Melbourne which is already overwhelmed by a lot of award winning and self claimed restaurants.

Mount Gambier, Australia
“Another Melbourne Gem.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Four day visit to Melbourne, catching up with Family and friends, a decadent 5 star hotel, some couple time and a lot of R&R. All made for a lovely visit, throw some hot weather in and some shopping and we had a Great time. On our last day we decided to catch a movie (The Railway Man - Excellent) and then unearth another fab Melbourne Restaurant in the City. I began ringing at 5:00 pm and Pure South (Southbank) where we'd dined before were unable to fit us in at my nominated time post movie of 8:45 pm. Luckily this forced me to look elsewhere and to be honest I wanted to try and find another place I'd happily return to.

So the search was on, my Beloved has significant food allergies which feature onion, vinegar, cruciferous veggies, mushrooms and a few others so a steakhouse would fit the bill.
I discovered Rare Steakhouse was just around the corner from where we'd be seeing the movie AND it already had Great reviews. On ringing there appeared to be a bit of difficulty in getting us in at our nominated time, but we were told they'd make it happen anyway.

Set down a little alleyway off Little Collins Street, it was super easy to find and we were happily welcomed by smiling staff and seated at a great table that afforded a nice view of the restaurant interior. Think stripped down brick, exposed duct work, but with nice classy touches like great tables and seating with artistic metal privacy screens all serving to provide their clientele with a warm, relaxed atmosphere.

The word I'd use for the service and staff, and I do mean All staff would be Superb. There were attentive to wine, water, food requests, they were efficient, unobtrusive, but engaging and a delight.

The wine list is very comprehensive, a lot of it is pricey, but there are also some high quality lower priced gems to be found if you know your wines. We started with Sizzling Prawns, which were truly Amazing, in fact the Best I've ever had and we live in an area renowned for great seafood and wines. If you like seafood, please Enjoy.

My main was a 300 gm Eye fillet with a peppercorn sauce with a rocket, apple and blue cheese salad and it was 'Heaven now found', beautifully cooked and presented. My wife enjoyed the same, but with differences to accommodate her allergies. The kitchen and wait staff were brilliant in advising what Marion could have and what she needed to avoid and my heartfelt thanks go out to them for behaving in such a professional manner. Rare Steakhouse is Indeed another Melbourne Gem, we can't wait to go back.

Sydney, Australia
“Great value lunchtime meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had the 2 course lunch here on Tue 7 Jan. the three menu choices were good and we were happy with our selections, my medium rump was fab and my wife's porterhouse was more blue than med rare but still good. Good glass of house red included in the menu price. Service was great though it wasn't very busy. Definitely intend to go back and try something else..

Visited January 2014
Marina del Rey, California
“Great food, and a great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We arrived late, but were still able to get seated. The staff was happy to help with anything. I liked unsweetened ice tea isn't popular in Australia, but I ask the waitress if she could make some for me, and she was more than happy. From appetizers to entrees the food was awesome. I wish we could take the restaurant back home with us. Our steaks were amazing. The roasted vegetables were some of the best I have had.If we had more time in Melbourne, we would have eaten there again.

Visited January 2014