“all OK”

Ranked #102 of 4,359 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Australian, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Committed to serving premium quality produce in a welcoming environment, our beef is sourced from across the country from Gippsland to Rockhampton and is graded by Meat Standards of Australia for its cut and quality - Come experience premium beef, basted and grilled to perfection, at three steak restaurants in Melbourne's CBD.
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The steak here is good. No problems in making that clear. And at 70 bucks it would want to be ! (am i right ?)
Is 70 bucks too much for a 400gm steak... Hmmmm.. I would have to say in this instance probably yes !
Anyway, every person on our table enjoyed the meal at Rare. The sides were great and the food service was fine.
If this site is to be used by the resturant for feedback i would ask someone from the management team to be having a very close look at the drinks service. Sllooowwwwwww...... To the point of riduclous. I did notice that sweets preparation actually occurs at the bar !! - So maybe the desserts take priority over the beverage service..?? Any-who the drinks service was not up to scratch and the owners definately could of had an extra 100 bucks out of our table !!
I think the only thing that did stand out to me as I was driving home was just that.. Nothing really stood out for me.. it was all just OK. I guess i wanted to be wowed a little more at Rare but it just didnt happen.
So from this reviewer... everything (except the drinks service) was OK.

rochelle h, General Manager at Rare Steakhouse Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Hi Kingrox,
I am very sorry to hear that drinks service was slow when you visited Rare. You are correct - our desserts are served from our bar, however, drinks should always take priority and that is the policy which should have been followed. Our staff are trained to always make sure guests have drinks - in my opinion, if I am out for dinner, as long as I have a drink I'm happy!
We take customer feedback very seriously at Rare as it shows us the areas in which we need to improve.
I sincerely apologise for this issue during your visit, and I will be looking into this to make sure our service is always quick and efficient in the future. I am glad you enjoyed your steaks and we hope to see you again - thank you for your feedback.
Kind Regards,
Rochelle Honour
Venue Manager

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Found this restaurant on a maps icon and researched it as it was my husband's birthday. Found out it was highly rated as one of the best steak restaurants in Melbourne. Totally agree with this statement. Simply laid out décor that works, staff that know their craft and obviously enjoy working their (including dancing along to the background music). The steak was cooked to perfection by a chef who obviously knows how to cook a steak. Magnificent. No point looking at anything else on the menu. Overall the total cost was very reasonable for a great place

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I really enjoyed eating here. Every time I have been, the steaks were nicely cooked and very tender. Service was good.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

So I only ever order an eye fillet when I'm out for steak so I always expect top quality especially when paying almost $40 for a 200gm cut. The steak itself was excellent, even though a touch undercooked (I ordered med-rare, but it was more on the rare side) but that's okay, I didn't mind too much. My partner had the mash with his steak and it was lovely (I always have a little taste of his) but my chips were overcooked! Which is apparently how they cook them there, because I noticed all the meals going out with chips were exactly the same. I figure if you're going to eat naughty, with fries or chips, they have to be perfect and worth forfeiting the diet for the day, but I was really disappointed to be honest. And I ordered a mustard sauce to accompany my steak but it was quite hot so I couldn't eat it. Again, had to steal some of my partners red wine jus to have instead of the mustard sauce. These two poor elements took away from the excellent quality of steak and brought the overall experience to "average" unfortunately. I've had much better meals elsewhere of similar price.

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

We arrived here on a Saturday night to have tea for our wedding anniversary and booked ahead to ensure we got a table.
Upon arrival we got asked if they would like us to bring out bread and olives for the table, which you normally expect on arrival at restaurants (I'll get to the olives later). We ordered our kilpatrick oysters as entree, a porterhouse each got mains along with salad and veggies as sides to share. Our drinks were nice and prompt.
Entree and mains were delivered promptly. The steak was cooked perfectly and was to die for! The mash I had with mine was beautiful and creamy.
Upon paying and after we left we checked the bill, yes it was expensive but we'd had a good feed. However.... We realized we had been charged $7.50 for our tiny bowl of olives which we had assumed were complimentary!
I can't say the olive episode took away from the quality of the food we received nor the service from the staff. Beautiful restaurant!

1  Thank Rebecca T