“Front row at the theatre”
Review of Cumulus Inc.

Cumulus Inc.
Ranked #78 of 4,420 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Cumulus Inc only takes bookings for groups, so we went early on a Sunday evening (5:30pm), and were seated quickly.
I was initially concerned about sitting at the bar overlooking the busy kitchen, but for foodies, it really is the best seat in the house! The bar stools are suprisingly comfortable, the counter is spacious, and (best of all) you get to watch the theatre of the kitchen in action, as your meal unfolds before your eyes.
The staff know their stuff, so seek their guidance about how much to order, and what works well together.

The food really is extraordinary. Every mouthful a delight.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,792)

Reviewed September 28, 2011

I was referred to this place by the Hyatt concierge. I would say this place is great if you are looking for a modern way of dining. Personally, I was not too keen on what was on the menu and just had a few osters. The staff are knowledgable about the menu and provide personalized service. I did like the cosy ambiance and watching the cooks prepare the food is a definite wow factor! Check it out.

Reviewed September 27, 2011

We had a very good dinner of tapas style dishes, which included slow cooked octopus w/aioli, kurobouta prosciutto, roasted new potatoes and celeriac, and grilled yabbies. This was the only restaurant we encountered on our Australia trip that served complimentary bread with our meal. Crowded when we arrived a little after 6pm, we initially sat in a tight corner of a bar against the wall, then were moved to the drinks bar when space opened up there. We had fun watching the bartender prepare cocktails while we ate. The noise level was a bit high.

Reviewed September 27, 2011

I wish I'd realised that Cumulus was just around the corner from my hotel so I could have dined there more than once (and tried the breakfast). I dropped in at 4.30pm on a Sunday to have a bite to eat before a flight home. It was already filling up then but I was given a large table to myself and a stack of newspapers (love this attention to solo diners). I had a stunning 'Bloody Americano' cocktail and selected a couple of plates to graze on. The slow-cooked octopus was the highlight with its little kick of chilli in each bite (luscious sauce), but I also enjoyed the raw salmon with sorrel (lovely, lovely sorrel is not seen enough on menus IMHO) and the duck terrine with prunes was gorgeous (and substantial). Good selection of wines by the glass. Cumulus is one of those places where you feel sort of hip just being there - great vibe and sound level and very 'Melbourne' in feel. The service was flawless, despite how crazily busy it got as I sat there dawdling over some cute petit-fours and coffee. Definitely recommend - really interesting food and wine in an appealing venue.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

A little pricey, but the excellent food makes it all worth it. Been there for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and drinks. Perfect restaurant to dine in just about any time of day. my absolute favourite was the baked eggs and poached eggs with smoked salmon and green apple. yummm