“Great food and fast service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Meiji Japanese Cafe - CLOSED

Meiji Japanese Cafe
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Tasmania
“Great food and fast service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Our previous favourite Japanese restaurant on Little Bourke has closed down so we walked up the road and found Meiji. The restaurant has a small lower dining room that has a very Japanese feel (upstairs is larger but not as atmospheric). We shared a yummy sushi plate and had tonkatsu which was a large serving. They have a good basic wine list and lots of sakes. The meal was good value and we will be back.

• Visited August 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“A gem in Chinatown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great little sushi restaurant in the heart of Chinatown. Sushi/Sashimi is great, their hotpots are fabulous and the service was great. Really a pleasant meal.

Visited April 2013
Sydney
“Nice food but dreadfully slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

I went to Meiji after arriving in Melbourne late. There was only one other table so I thought I would be served quite quickly. Well, was I wrong! I had ordered sashimi and tempura. It took some half hour for the sashimi to come out and then another twenty minutes or so after I had finished the sashimi for the tempura to come out.

The food was actually very good but service is just too slow.

• Visited May 2013
Adelaide
“Average food, poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

When we walked in and were taken upstairs to the extremely hot first floor, we probably should have taken it as a sign to leave.
Downstairs was lovely and cool but upstairs was like a sauna.
Service was poor (my drink didn't arrive, the water we requested was sent to the table behind us), and the food was just so bland. Not bad, but certainly not good.
We wouldn't return, as there are nicer Japanese restaurants only a short distance away.

San Francisco
“Wasn't thrilled”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Nice location. But didn't seem authentic by any stretch. If I'm not mistaken, the owners aren't even Japanese. Cheap? Yes. Tasty? Not really.

Will I go back? Nope.