“Great food and hospitality.”

La Camera Restaurant Southgate
Ranked #81 of 4,155 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Italian, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southbank
Description: La Camera Italian Restaurant Southbank Melbourne offers a welcoming environment where you can enjoy authentic, Italian food, served by friendly efficient staff right in the heart of the Southgate Shopping Precinct. Whether you’re after a quick bite before work, a venue to host a business lunch, great food in a central location for a family meal, or a pre theatre meal, La Camera has you covered. Nestled amongst riverside treetops on Southgate’s mid level, La Camera boasts two balconies with stunning views over The Yarra River and iconic Flinders Street Station. The interior is adorned with vintage black-and-white photographs depicting the history of the family that has owned and operated the restaurant since it opened in 2000. La Camera Southgate offers an array of authentic Italian dishes including unique Roman-style pizzas, authentic Pappardelle Ox Cheek from Trastevere-Rome and by far the most delectable Tiramisu in town. The emphasis is on quality ingredients, and fresh seasonal produce. La Camera is a touch of Italy right on Melbourne’s door step located in the sport and entertainment precinct and within walking distance to Melbourne’s most popular attractions such as The Arts Centre, Hamer Hall, Melbourne Recital Centre, Federation Square, MCG, Rod Laver & Hisense Arenas, Aami Park and Eureka Skydeck. La Camera is the perfect place for your next celebration, romantic evening out, and the best place to watch Melbourne’s New Year’s Eve fireworks display. Relax, unwind and escape, make La Camera your room…where, as is the case with all Italians … “FOOD IS LIFE”.
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner with a group of friends in this busy restaurant. The manager was very hospitable and the staff were very attentive. The meals lived up to the descriptions on the menu. There was a wide selection and no one was disappointed on our table of 12. I had the veal which was perfectly prepared - very authentic. We had a great table with gorgeous views of the city. I had previously gone to La Camera for workers lunch specials (many years ago), something has changed or dinners are different. As this was definitely a step up to what I recall. Great atmosphere, great food, great service and a hospitable manager who makes it his business to look after his guests. Thank you

LaCameraSouthgate, General Manager at La Camera Restaurant Southgate, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Hi Carmen,

Thanks very much for your kind words. It's my job to make customers happy and I don't mind having a chat or two, and you might even get a joke out of me sometimes. The staff are sick of them but they still bring a few chuckles to the new patrons.

Restaurant Manager

There are newer reviews for La Camera Restaurant Southgate

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I only discovered La Camera in May 2013, when I went there for my daughters 18th birthday - see my previous review. Last night I went there for my third time, this time for my mums birthday and my nephew's birthday combined. Once again the food was delicious, the wine and beer list extensive, the service so friendly, helpful and prompt. Other restaurants should take a leaf out of La Camera's book about what sort of staff to recruit and how to train them - I cannot fault these guys and they are a major factor in coming back. Somehow they manage to feel like you are special and a vauled customer, and no I never mention that I am a Trip Advisor reviewer. Last night they treated my mum to a line up of waiters singing Happy Birthday, and added sparkler to her dessert. She was absolutely thrilled, and told me it was the best birthday she has had in years. Finally my third time I made room for dessert, and I totally recommend the lemon sorbet with passionfruit / mango pannacotta. My dad says their lemon lime and bitters is the best he has ever tasted. Thank you La Camera for another great night of food, drink and merriment, we will definitely be back for more as you have become a family favourite.

Thank you, Thank you and Thank You.

It is our aim to make every customer as happy as you and thanks so much for not bagging our singing skiils...we try!!

Here's to the next birthday!!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have eaten here on several occasions prior to attending theatres and it is a very convenient place when you don't have a lot of time. The food is fine but it is a very large and noisy place, as are many of the casual eateries in the area. However, it is good value for money and they often have special deals which are worth looking out for.

Hi and thanks for the feedback. I would encourage you to come and visit us when you do have some more time rather than just the pre theatre meal. Yes we are pre theatre specialists, but I do not think you would enjoy the dining experience as much when you are rushed for time. It can be a little hectic when the majority of the restaurant needs to be out at the same time!

If you haven't done alreay make sure you book a table outside where it is not as noisy and you have great views of the city.

Please ask for me when you are next in as I would love to have a chat........

Restaurant Manager

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Had dinner here 4 nights out of 6.Yep, four nights!! Was working hard on business and exhausted at the end of each day.
Loved the large pizzas, thin crust and crispy/chewy at the same time
The prawns and the meatballs for starters were great too.
Service is friendly and efficient and the wine list is reasonably priced.
Noisy, bustling restaurant. This has been a favourite for a few years now

LaCameraSouthgate, Manager at La Camera Restaurant Southgate, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thanks very much for your fabulous review.

Our pizza recipe is from Ponte Milvio in Rome. We were handed down the recipe many years ago and the rest is history......

kind regards

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Great Italian Style Restaurant, reasonable prices for family dining, service was attentive, and all 7 of us enjoyed our meals. Meals were well sized.

LaCameraSouthgate, Manager at La Camera Restaurant Southgate, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thanks for your feedback and we hope you enjoyed the night.

Our balconies are definitely the best position to have a great Italian meal with super views of the city, overlooking the river.

See you soon.