“superior service”
Review of Melba Restaurant

Melba Restaurant
Ranked #84 of 4,155 Restaurants in Melbourne
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southbank
Reviewed February 26, 2013

you just have to see the range of food to know this is going to be a great experience. The staff are great, and you are made extremely welcome

1  Thank needtochillout
There are newer reviews for Melba Restaurant

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Had a family celebration last week for breakfast at Melba's. Overall the Buffett food was of a high quality, however the service was very very poor. Being breakfast, once we were seated, we wanted some coffee. No one came to ask if we wanted coffee. We waited approx 5 mins, then I finally caught someone's attention to ask. The table ordered 4 different types if coffee. It was another 15 minutes before they arrived, and when they did they were only just warm. I would have sent them back, but we needed coffee, and I didn't want to wait again! Been here before, usually service is good, not thus Saturday morning.

1  Thank cea2010
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed at the Langham recently so thought we would try the restaurant. First the good part. The food was wonderful and basically as much as you can eat. It was a bit like having a Sunday Brunch where everything was provided. Asian, Indian, roasts and something for everybody. $79 per person may initially seem expensive but not when you see what you get.

And the bad

If you want an intimate romantic meal don't go anywhere near this place as it is big and there is very little atmosphere. I can live with that but what go me was the guy at the next table who insisted on giving a hyena impersonation every 30 seconds. Nothing can be that funny!

So far that my only bad experience of this or any other Langham.

1  Thank DavidD251
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were staying at the Langham so had dinner here on our first night. We were seated adjacent an extremely noisy group. We asked to be moved to a quieter table, but they said they were fully booked, despite us noting there were several tables still empty. The waiter said the group would quieten when they started eating, of course that didn't happen. The excessive noise really spoiled our night we could hardly hear ourselves talk.

I ordered a glass of champagne, funny thing was it was served to me in a white wine glass and not a champagne glass - how could such a basic be missed in such a high end restaurant? The food was okay, nothing that we hadn't had before and they try and sell the whole "personally prepared in front of you buffet" but really it wasn't that impressive. The chocolate fountain/icecream station was too compact, once a few people and kids decide they're into it you can't really get near it.

We also had breakfast here during our stay as it was included in our package. There were a good range of breakfast items but it was survival of the fittest to get near anything, as people scamble for food being a buffet. The cooked food (bacon, ausages, tomatoes,etc) was lukewarm at best. The toasters were absolutely hopeless, you spend half your time trying to work out how they work and there just wasn't enough of them - what a time waster! We were always requesting extra butter as only a little piped amount in a dish was put on the table. The bircher muesli was lovely, however each time I went to get some walnuts on the side, the container was empty, and not replenished! Danishes were lovely, though as too many people were waiting nearby for their toast, it was hard to get near them!
Cappucinos were too milky and never hot, so I had to convert to filtered coffee. Being a couple, we noted many tables available for 2 by the window, but we never seemed to get seated there, in the end we had to request one. I would have thought we would have been automatically be seated at the best available table and not have to especially ask.

Each time we ate at the restaurant I found myself having to "give way" to the bustling wait staff on our way up to get our selections. I expected it would have been the opposite and service staff would give right of way to diners to get their meals?

To eat here is expensive, sure you get a wide and varied selection to choose from - but the experience and atomsphere was a little lacking for us!

1  Thank Kaz780_11
Reviewed February 15, 2013

GOODS
service was great
hotel is lovely and lobby is great for photos
desert bar was great
staff accommodated for table to be southbank view which was great

BADS
less selection of buffet foods

1  Thank Tracey N