“Quite a good place for the price.”
Review of Mantra on the Park

Mantra on the Park
Ranked #70 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Had to visit Melbourne for one day for an urgent appointment. It turned out that it was cheaper to fly in the day before and stay in wotif mystery hotel than to fly in and out on the same day, and since I was spending my own money, I decided to go ahead with the booking.

The mystery hotel turned out to be Mantra on the Park. I paid AUD104 for one night and did not really expect much. I've been working in hotels around the world my whole life, and believe me, spending big
bucks does not always buy you the most enjoyable stay, however if the hotel is listed as a wotif mystery deal, it's not doing very well.
As an industry insider, I know that staff is paid exactly the same in 5 and 3 star hotels, and general overheads are roughly the same. The difference in the rate goes towards maintenance of the numerous food and beverage outlets and other extra services (which you might not use). Arguably, 5 star hotels are usually better located, but not in Melbourne, where virtually every hotel within the CBD would be located conveniently. So I, having to spend every day in a 5 star hotel environment, personally prefer 3-4 star apartment type hotels with non-invasive service.

Anyway, Mantra on the Park. Check-in was swift and the receptionist was friendly. He did not tell me how much he was going to hold on my credit card for incidentals (that's a serious mistake), but when I asked, it turned out to be only 10 dollars, which is very good. Don't you hate it when they hold 100-200 per night for "incidentals", especially on a long stay (like i'm going to order Dom Perignon and beluga caviar every night and than wreck the entire room! I'm not a rock star, you see)?
My room (907) was reviewed here earlier with photos, so I'm not going to elaborate on it. Yes it's old and there are cracks on the walls, and the appliances are from the 80's and the TV is not a flatscreen. So if you refurbish your house every month and love everything brand new, don't stay here, you'll be shocked. The room itself is actually quite spacious, with big windows, large bedroom and decent balcony with two chairs and a table. Good view - you don't have an office building right in front of your window like often you do in Melbourne. The bathroom had both bath and a shower cabin. Everything was spotless clean.

Now briefly things I didn't like:
-Someone has forgotten a shower cap in the shower. Not good.
- Tap water in the bathroom merely
running and the toilet did not flush properly. BTW, the toilet was slowly leaking with some unpleasant yellowy liquid.
-Water in the shower significantly changed temperature by itself.
- Couldn't find minibar price list
- Maybe not important, but the toilet paper is cheap and thin and towels are thin, old and washed out. Usually it's an indicator that the management is cutting every additional cost possible. Thick toilet paper and new fluffy towels would significantly improve the overall impression, IMHO.

Thing I liked:
- Spacious and quiet room
- Nice view, decent balcony
- Friendly, non-invasive service, quick check in and check out.
- Nice mattress (but why queen size, not king in such a big room?)

Overall, for 100 a night it's a great place to stay, and I'd easily pay twice that rate if the place was refurbished and had better towels, furniture and appliances.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank petroff
Write a ReviewReviews (2,271)

Reviewed February 13, 2011

On arrival to this so called 5 star hotel, after being ignored for 5 minutes by three reception staff, we were checked into our 2 bedroom apartment. My mum and I are more than happy to pay top dollar for location convenience and we aren't bothered by older type accommodation or furnishings, all we expect to see is a room thats clean. Well, we got the shock of our lives when confronted with smeared greasy hand prints all over walls, the sliding door, the dining table and all up the cupboards, food scraps stuck to virtually every surface imaginable, makeup hand prints all over the bathroom and bedroom doors, grotty white marks all over the couches and spagetti sauce up the walls. Once we spoke to management who apologised, she resent housekeeping for another crack at the room. The housekeeper was so busy with other rooms that needed cleaning that after an hour mum went and bought a bottle of jif and started cleaning the room herself. This was supposed to be a holiday so I threw the jif in the bin, packed up my mum and 18 month old daughter and headed elsewhere!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Jesse3479
MantraParkGM, General Manager at Mantra on the Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that we do not advertise our property as 5 star and we are officially rated by the AAA as a 4 star product.

Please accept my sincerest apologies in regards to not meeting your expectatons in regards to housekeeping. So that I may follow up your comments I would like to invite you to call me on 03 9668 2500 so I can obtain more details of your stay.

Reviewed February 2, 2011

We decided to try a mystery hotel with wotif which ended up being at Mantra on the park. Now I live in Melbourne and have stayed at many hotels in the CBD but this is by far the worst (worse than Oakleigh motel on princess hwy, which should give you some idea).

I stayed with my partner because we did a fun run around the Melbourne Zoo after work so we didn't want to drive back home. Problems:

1. Fridge was incredibly noisy...I mean to the point I considered turning it off
2. TV looked like it was from the 70s
3. Very noisy - people arguing, noises from outside etc
4. The alarm kept going off at 1am which we then had to turn off from the power...the alarm looked like it was from the 70s as well
5. The shower/bathroom were very average
6. The bed was terrible...seemed like the mattress hasn't been replaced in 40 years and we had different pillows..one which was really hard and crappy..the other was ok

This definitely was a "mystery"..had I known this was the case I would have just paid the extra $30 and stayed elsewhere

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mirsadm

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and your review.

Please accpet my sincerest apologies for the product related issues that you experienced during your stay. We are currently in the final planning stages for a multi million dollar refurbishment and enhancement project that will commence in May 2011.

I would look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed February 2, 2011

So glad we didn't let the gripes from previous guests put us off. The staff were excellent and even allowed us to make a free phone call back to our kids in NZ when I lost my cell phone. The two bedroom unit, which we shared with friends, was perfectly adequate, with two bathrooms and a well equipped kitchen. The cleaning staff managed to work around our mess (we stayed for 5 days) and make the beds and tidy the bathrooms.
Good value for money, excellent location and we would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2011

We stayed here with friends in a two bedroom apartment overlooking Carlton Gardens when we were in Melbourne for the tennis. The rooms were fine. The kitchen could do with a refurbishment as it had been knocked about a bit, but the appliances were ok. Plenty of space in the living area and good comfortable couch and chairs. The beds were a bit hard, but that could be down to personal taste. The washing machine and dryer in the bathroom were certainly helpful.

The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful.

The location was good. It is on the city circle line for the tram. It is also only a couple of blocks from Chinatown and only a five minute walk from Lygon street and all the good restaurants.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kiwi_acct
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We stayed at the Mantra on the Park as part of a package to watch the Ashes cricket in Melbourne. The location of the hotel was ideal both for the venue and the rest of the city. The amenities in the hotel were certainly more than adequate for our purposes. We certainly don't share the gripes others have put on this site about the state of the rooms. If some of the furniture wasn't of the highest standard then this was more than outweighed by the incredible view from the balcony and the sheer convinience of the hotel's location.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
MantraParkGM, General Manager at Mantra on the Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Melbourne.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our convenient location and also enjoyed the excellent views of Carlton Gardens and the Royal Exhibition Building from your balcony.

We will also be starting a multi million dollar refurbishment and enhancement programe in May 2011. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 18, 2011

Stayed there for 3 nights.. Stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment.. The location was great, nearby the city.. only 10 minutes walk and you reach the city.. the rooms & toilets were clean.. if you would like to rent a car, there are a lot of car rentals within 8-10 minutes walk.. only one bad experience is that my room key card doesn't work on my 2nd day of stay but I just went to the reception and they replace me with a new card.. The Old Melbourne Gaol is also within walking distance from the hotel and nearby there is also the Dracula Cabaret Restaurant for you to party with your friends..

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
MantraParkGM, General Manager at Mantra on the Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you also for your feedback on our rooms and great location. Please accept my apologies in regards to the key card.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra on the Park again in the near future. From May 2011 the property will be undergoing a multi million dollar refurbishment project.