New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Maha

Maha
Ranked #6 of 3,784 Restaurants in Melbourne
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Australia
“Vegetarian feast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

I was visiting melbourne and desperate for a good vegetarian feed that I can not find in my own town. Maha delivered. The food was exquisite. The service attentive. Overall a fantastic experience. Thank you. I hope I can get back soon. Is a vegetarian specific book in the pipeline?

Hi Katherine,
A Vegetarian specific book? Hmmm, now there's some food for thought! Glad to read that we were not only able to provide you with the vegetarian feed you were after, but that the service and overall experience were memorable too. I hope to welcome you back for another vegetarian feast soon!
Thanks

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
“A True Masterchef!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Since I can't give Maha 6 stars, they must, unfortunately, settle for a 'mere' 5. :D

My wife and I had the 4-course Sunday lunch, and it was without a doubt the best meal that we ever had. Yes, I said it: the best meal ever! The flavours, the presentation, the ambience, the service, the attention to detail, oh my, what an experience. Even the pomegranate and cherry soda was outstanding!

Not only was the bill extremely reasonable for 4 filling courses ($65pp - don't tell Shane that he can charge $100pp easy, shhh!) but they brought special courses out for my pescatarian wife, all of which she loved. And to top it all off, on our way out, we were presented with a little gift (a DIY "just add water" packet of Shane's signature Turkish delight-filled doughnuts).

I haven't mentioned the dishes themselves because they all stood out as being exceptional. It was a fantastic way for us to celebrate our wedding anniversary - made even more memorable by the sparkly dessert they brought for us.

Folks, you simply MUST experience a Maha meal: I highly recommend it.

Visited December 2013
Hi TriniAussie,
Wow - what high praise! Thank you for taking the time to share your Maha experience. Our Sunday "Spice Journey" inspired 4-course lunches are a great way to experience the Maha hospitality. I'm thrilled to read that it was the best meal you've ever had! Happy anniversary to you and your wife and I hope the take home DIY Turkish Donuts were a success! Looking forward to welcoming you back to Maha for another memorable meal.
Thanks again
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Love Maha's but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

I just love Maha and have been 5 times. It is a special restaurant and the food is an experience that is not to be missed. However, our waiter must have been wearing the same shirt for the previous 3 days. Eating inspires the sense of taste and smell but we were only hoping the waiter didn't return to our table while we were eating. We were served sparkling water without being asked what we wanted and when he was explaining the menu he was looking everywhere else in the restaurant but our table. What a disappointment for a top quality restaurant. Management and training of the wait staff needs some serious attention.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hi Gidget3001,
It's always disappointing to read when a Maha experience has fallen short for our guests. I take this feedback seriously and can assure you I have spoken with my team. My sincere apologies for this occurrence. I hope we can welcome you back to Maha again in the future to reintroduce you to the Maha hospitality you've enjoyed on all of your previous visits.
Thanks,
Shane.
Hobart, Australia
“Maha - a fabulous dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Four of us were in Melbourne for the weekend and really enjoyed our dining experience here. We had the 4 course option, which provided a mouth watering selection of dishes. One of our friends was pregnant, and they brought her a dish to compensate her for missing out on the one of the non compliant dishes. We didn't drink wine but really enjoyed the cocktails too!

Very reasonably priced given the abundance and high quality of food. Add to that a restaurant which has been beautifully decorated and staff who are well trained (attentive but not in your face), it rates as a must do experience for me.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Hi Sonya,
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I'm always happy to read when our guests have enjoyed the whole Maha experience; food, service and atmosphere, that's exact what we aim for! And that our guests with dietary requirements are just as well looked after as those without. Great to read that dining at Maha rates as a must do for you!
Thanks again
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
“Wrong address”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Please fix this problem the address should be in the cbd it is showing Clayton in trip advisor. I looked on another site and it showed that it was in city.

ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Hi Lee,
I have checked our restaurant listing here on Trip Advisor and it definitely says that we are located at 21 Bond Street in Melbourne.
Thanks