“delicious, exotic food.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maha

Maha
Ranked #10 of 3,633 Restaurants in Melbourne
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Innisfail, Australia
“delicious, exotic food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

On our first trip to Melbourne we decided to go to the Maha after watching spice journey on SBS. WOW!!! From the moment we walked down the restaurant steps we felt welcomed by the friendly and attentive staff. We decided on the 4 course soufra meal. Yum.Delicious. Loved the smoked hummus, olive bread, slow cooked lamb etc... This restaurant is amazing. If you're in melbourne, do yourself a favour and let your taste buds enjoy the flavours of the Maha restaurant. Well done Shane Delia and staff.

Hi anniebb41,
Thank you for choosing to dine at Maha when you were in Melbourne recently! I'm so glad that you were able to experience Maha first hand after watching my Spice Journey series on SBS. It's always so humbling to read when someone has enjoyed their Maha experience so much. I hope that you can visit us again soon when you're next in Melbourne for another Spice Journey of your own! Thanks for taking the time to share your review. Cheers, Shane.

“Food was good but serving does not justify price, particularly when service was lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We were a party of 5 and ordered the Souffra banquet at $75 per head. Whilst quality of food was good, quantity was lacking. The desert was the most generous serving but everything from entree to main was basically a bite each.
Service was perhaps most disappointing. Earlier in the evening before restaurant got busy, we at least got some attention. Once it got busier our water & wine was never topped up once without us directly asking for it to be done.
Whilst we did not leave hungry and overall, it wasn't a bad evening, it did not live up to reputation or price tag.

Hi Hollytd,
It's always disappointing to read when we have fallen short of your expectations. I always welcome feedback both positive and negative, as I think it's a great way to continually improve what we offer. I am sorry to read that on this occasion you did not fully enjoy your experience and I will be sure to pass your comments on to my team. I appreciate you taking the time to post your review and hope that we can welcome you back one day to show you the true hospitality that is Maha.
Thanks, Shane
Melbourne
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had been enjoying dishes from the Maha cookbook prepared by our friends, so thought we had better go there and see them prepared by the professionals. We thought the whole experience was wonderful. We were greeted by the friendly staff and shown to our table in the warm and inviting dining room.
After a saffron martini (lovely), we had the four course shared menu. This included hot and cold mezze, several main courses, salads and dessert. Great value and tons of food. There were many highlights but amongst our favourites were the walnut dip with duck and figs, the kingfish cerviche, the slow cooked lamb, the salad of ancient grains, the spinach borek - and the dessert platter. There were a few things we didn't love as much as the others, but it was an experience of different tastes, textures and spices that we loved. We also had a bottle of Chablis that went perfectly with the spicy food. We can't wait to go back - or try to recreate some of the recipes from our new book!.

Hi AussieJulesW,
Great to hear that not only was your whole Maha experience wonderful, but that you and your friends have been enjoying some Maha dishes from my book! The dishes on our 4 course Soufra menu change regularly so I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Maha soon to take you on another journey of taste, texture and spice! Thanks for taking the time to post your review. Cheers, Shane.
Sydney, Australia
“Highly recommend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I chose Maha for a birthday celebration because I had heard wonderful things about it. I opted for the 6 course meal with matching wines and I think I should have gone for the 4 courses. The 6 was just a bit too much food. The food was amazing. The first course (soup) was incredible. The second course was the least impressive of the whole meal. It was a seafood cous cous - put simply. The rest of the meal was wonderful! I think the portions are just a tiny bit too big (for a 6 course meal). The matching wines were great - however the wine waiter kept spilling wine when he poured it.
Overall it was lovely. I would recommend to others, but there are so many other restaurants in Melbourne that I want to try that I wouldn't go back (just yet).
As a nice little after dinner treat - they have heated outdoor (but covered) seating where you can have a drink and smoke a shisha.

ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Hi Duckw8211,
Thanks for choosing Maha for your recent birthday celebration! I'm glad that your enjoyed our Latifa menu - the 6 courses certainly is a feast! Thanks for the feedback regarding the wine service, I have passed on your comments to my team. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
Cheers, Shane.
Melbourne, Australia
“Maha brilliance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I asked a very well known restaurant reviewer, who has been a friend for years, where I could take my mother for her birthday. As a vibrant 78 year old we try and make each one memorable for her.
Well my friends recommendation was excellent. As a group of 6 adults we loved the restaurant the minute we walked in for atmosphere, to staff attentiveness, the wines, the Amuse Bouche and the incredible flavours of the food. We ordered a la Carte as an alternative to the 8 course. With attentiveness to food intolerances, even those alternatives were delicious in taste. Shane Delia clearly is passionate about what he does and thanks Matt for the heads up!

• Visited August 2013
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hi Catherine,
Thanks for choosing to celebrate a special birthday here with us at Maha! I'm so glad we could play a part in making your mothers birthday a memorable one. Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I'm thrilled to read that you enjoyed your Maha experience and that your party enjoyed the alternatives offered for those with food intolerances. I hope to welcome you back to Maha again soon! Thanks, Shane.