“The Best Middle Eastern”
Review of Maha

Maha
Ranked #11 of 4,219 Restaurants in Melbourne
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Shane Delia's Maha restaurant is the culmination and expression of his culinary food experiences from his Middle Eastern travels and his excellent TV food show. This was no local Leb restaurant experience. Rather it was one of the most interesting and satisfying food experiences I have had. We chose the four course "Soufra" shared menu with matching wines. This brought together tastes from Morocco to Iran, perfectly cooked and presented, served professionally, and tasting divine. The staff are informed, friendly, non-intrusive and added considerably to the positive dining experience. The wines were chosen to complement the courses with interesting logic - a vino verde from Northern Portugal, a bush-grown Shiraz from Morocco, several Lebanese wines. Standout dishes were slow cooked lamb with a fatouche salad and rice pilaf; an exotic, spicy tomato and fish soup, a most interesting trio of mouthwatering desserts. This is modern Middle East cuisine at its best and I am certain we will hear a lot more of Shane Delia in the future.

ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Hi Mike F,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm thrilled to hear that this was one of the most interesting and satisfying dining experiences you've had and that our staff played a big part in this experience. I do hope that we'll be able to welcome you back to Maha next time you're in town to try some new Spice Journey inspired dishes offered on our Soufra menu. In the meantime, keep an eye out for Spice Journey Series 2 updates on Twitter @Shanedelia or facebook.com/Chef.ShaneDelia
I really appreciate you taking the time to post your review. Thanks again, Shane.

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We recently dined at Maha. The food was amazing!! The service exceptional! And I love the styling of the restaurant. Definitely a must when in Melbourne

ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Hi Shans82,
Great to hear that you enjoyed your Maha experience! I hope we can welcome you back when you're next in town, to try some new dishes. Thanks for taking the time to post your review.
Cheers, Shane

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our daughter recommended Maha to us after she had a wonderful full 6 course feast with work collegues, saying that the food was exquisite and obviously prepared with great skill.
And the restaurant lived up to her comments.
On a wet and miserable Wednesday night, the place was almost full, an indication of it's reputation and popularity. Our attentive waiter welcomed us and explained the different types of menus and drink offerings. We elected to go for the 4 course chef's menu of shared plates. We didn't have to take the wine offerings with this menu which would have been $52 a head extra as 3 of our party of 4 weren't wine drinkers and I only wanted 2 drinks for the night. This 4 course meal was $75 a head, and as it turned out, a bargain considering the quality, quantity and exotic nature of the offerings.
The different courses were presented with just the right interval between them,so that you both, had time to savour the 4 plates of each course but didn,t have to wait too long before the next course arrived. Oysters, duck,(a tad dry I thought), chicken, dips, spiced pilaf,fish, and the incredible slow-cooked lamb, were but a few of the offerings that were served up. The food was beautifully enhanced with the most flavoursome and exotic of spices,but none being hot or overpowering. Our daughter had said that the desserts were to die for and this certainly was correct; all 4 choices being really different and delectable,especially the ice-cream and choc-bikky sandwiches!
The meal had extended over 3 hours as the courses kept coming, the bill for 4 was a very reasonable $330.
The only reason I didn't award 5 stars was that the noise-levels in the place were very high which was a bit off-putting and should be addressed by better acoustics and sound absorbtion.
In fairness, the problem was probably exassipated by a too close-by table of women, 2 of which had the loudest and irritating of voices,and were obviously a distraction to all the diners within ear-shot, especially as the consumption of wines with all of their 6 course menu brought forth some very colourful language as well!
Overall though, a great food experience, which was a fine introduction of real middle-eastern food for me.

1  Thank scragger07
ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Hi Scragger07,
I'm thrilled to read that you enjoyed our 4 course Soufra menu on your recent visit to Maha and please pass on a big thanks to your daughter for recommending us! The dishes on our menu change regularly so I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back to try some new offerings in the future. As for the noise levels in the restaurant, unfortunately when we are at capacity and everyone is enjoying themselves, the sound levels can get up there. I am sorry to hear that on this occasion the noise did cause some distraction to your otherwise enjoyable dinner. I appreciate you taking the time to post your review!
Thanks, Shane

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Maha was recommended by a friend when we asked for a special place to dine out in Melbourne. Now I know that she gave us the best suggestion possible. Maha is located in Flinders and almost always full. The foods are incredibly delicious. Maha has an impressive collection of drinks as well. The waiting staff are knowledgeable about foods and wine. They are very helpful and friendly, serving the crowd with smile without the conventional stuffy shirts. I loved the interior of the restaurant so much. In fact, the environment here perfectly complements the wonderful quality and flavor of the foods.

ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Hi Elise G,
It's always great to hear when Maha has come recommended! I'm happy to hear that you found the food delicious and that our staff made such an impression. Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent Maha experience and I do hope that we can welcome you back when you're next in town!
Thanks, Shane

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have 5 criteria on a restaunt. Food Quality, Taste, Value, Atmoshpere and Service. I give it 5 star.

Yes it is pricey but boy is the food good , like seriously classy, and as a 6 foot 2 bloke who loves food, I never walk away hungry. The staff are top notch as you would expect from such a place. I always go a set menu, just have a chat with the waiter/ress, they'll assist you and can tailor your order to your preferences.

Over the years I have taken several girlfriends to this place just to show I care. They love it everytime. Its one of those 'make you feel important' restaurants. Its also a great corporate restaurant to celebrate a deal or to show a client you care.

ShaneDelia, Owner at Maha, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Hi Dubjohnston,
I'm thrilled we hit the mark on all 5 of your restaurant criteria and that you always leave happy and full! And even more pleased to hear that Maha is your 'go to' restaurant for special occasions of all kinds. Thanks for taking the time to post your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Maha to celebrate another special occasion soon!
Cheers, Shane