“Something very different”

Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband had eaten at this restaurant before and raved about it, so when we visited melbourne, I couldn't wait to go there. I was not disappointed. The food is not what you'd expect from middle eastern food, it was phenomenally better than that. We had the 6 course Degustation and every course was beautiful. The wait staff were so knowledgable about the food and explained every single course as it came out. The atmosphere was romantic and even though it was packed full of people, you didn't need to shout to be heard.

MAdE_Est, Owner at Maha, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Thanks for the lovely review AJParello.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience at Maha, especially the 6 course degustation menu.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had been looking forward to dining here for some time and I was not disappointed in any way. I love Middle Eastern food and we had the Latifa which was 6 courses and chose the wine match. On reflection we both agreed we probably could have gone with the 4 courses, but no regrets, the food was amazing. The flavours, textures and presentation were all wonderful. The service was perfect. All the staff were delightful, attentive without being over the top and seemed genuinely interested and involved in our dining experience. Their knowledge of the menu and wines was excellent. The decor is quite understated. We loved our night and look forward to going again the next time we are in Melbourne and it will probably take us until then to save up for it! Worth every cent.

MAdE_Est, Owner at Maha, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Thanks for your review @shazza059.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience at Maha, especially the Latifa menu.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

You would be forgiven for thinking you are about to head into a deserted, dingy little place as you walk down the lane and head towards Maha, but don't let the location put you off. Once you enter this stylish and very sophisticated restaurant, you are transported to a very sexy, exotic place where your tastebuds will be tantalised.
The food is Middle-Eastern inspired and provides an eclectic mix of traditional and modernised meals. We were tempted in by the very well-known vegan degustation menu. Our friends, who are chefs, have recommended this place and we went there a while ago for the degustation menu, but had to leave only a few courses in. This time we stayed for the whole thing and it was superb. I cannot tell you all the variety in the meals we had, but the flavours of every one were a revelation. There were tastes, textures and smells that I had never experienced. Each course was like a whole world of food had been opened up. Eating a vegan meal that has been made so skillfully and passionately in a fine dining restaurant like this is quite a rarity, but I recommend it to any diner. The food is exquisite and unlike anything I've eaten elsewhere.
The waiting staff are very professional and they give you a refined description of each course and how you best can tackle it (some things are quite unfamiliar and there is a specific order or method in the eating of it…yes, fancy).
Vegans do need to give a bit of notice beforehand, and will be expected to make a booking. If you have a group larger than two, you can get the full degustation menu, however, we were pretty happy with our smaller one.
I haven't seen the regular menu, but I did overhear some other diners discussing foie gras. I am reluctant to assume they are serving this in the restaurant, however, if they are, I probably won't return. Foie Gras involves the very cruel practise of force feeding geese, ducks and so forth to make their livers very fatty and enlarged. It is exceptionally cruel and many restaurants will not serve it due to the welfare concerns for the animals involved. If Maha is serving this, it would be a real shame because this is otherwise a fabulous restaurant that I would like to return to.
The prices are very high, however, and you do need to save your pennies if you want to dine here. It's certainly a splurge, so be aware it will hurt the wallet.
A great place to dine, and I recommend the vegan degustation menu for anyone who wants to eat something exotic and tasty.

MAdE_Est, Owner at Maha, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for your review.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience at Maha, especially the vegan degustation menu.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We are big fans of Middle Eastern food.
Tucked away in the basement, in a non-descriptive Melbourne street, Maha was a nice surprise.
We had a table for 4, celebrating our daughter’s birthday and we decided on the 4 course menu. It was more than sufficient for all of us.
The variety of flavours and textures was a delight to the senses.
The restaurant is elegantly furnished, but not intimidating. The beautiful handmade vases added a nice touch to it.
The only thing I could fault was the very impersonal and hurried service. Not sure if they were short staffed and it was very busy on a Monday night, or if that’s the way it always is.
I would like to return in a few months from now and bring friends with us.
Parking is a bit of a problem, as this is inner city Melbourne. Only 3 car spaces outside the restaurant and with public car park across the street closing at 7:30 PM, we were lucky to find a space in Queen Street, which was a 2 minute walk to restaurant.

MAdE_Est, Owner at Maha, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Thanks for your review.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience at Maha, particularly the four course menu.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We went to Maha for a birthday celebration and had a great evening.

We decided to have the 6 course Sultan's Tasting Menu, with two having vegetarian and two non-vegetarian, which was easily catered for. The dishes were all wonderfully presented and explained, and although not all of them were a 100% success overall it was great food. The added touch of a special birthday desert was an added bonus.

The service was excellent and could not be faulted in any way, the staff were informed, attentive but not intrusive, and the special leaving gifts of tea and spices were an unexpected bonus.

I would certainly recommend this restaurant, and look forward to returning in the near future.

MAdE_Est, Owner at Maha, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Thanks for the wonderful review @tmwstw. We are thrilled that your group enjoyed your birthday celebration, and the Sultan's Tasting Menu. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!