“Lebanese Cuisine at its Best”

Tahini Lebanese Diner
Order Online
Ranked #741 of 5,386 Restaurants in Melbourne
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed July 20, 2017

Being half Lebanese I like to think I have developed a refined palate over the years and in each city I visit I always look for a Lebanese restaurant to eat at. Tahini Lebanese Diner happened to be the closest to my accommodation and also had good reviews on several different websites. I invited a few friends to join me, some who have eaten good Lebanese with me in the past and one who had never eaten Lebanese food before. So a good mix of different palates and food experiences.

We opted for the “Soufra for More”, which is a selection of small dishes from the hot and cold plates on their menu. What a perfect option for both the experienced diner and newbie. You get a choice of two items from their grill menu items and the rest of the dishes are then dictated by the chef. Like I said, I have eaten a lot of Lebanese food in my time, this has to be one of the very best. Sorry to my Lebanese aunties, who do make some of the best home cooked Lebanese food I have every eaten, but WOW – this was very good.

What was special about this experience was the small additions to each dish. The Hummus came with Fig and walnut, incredible. The Tagine, with onions, capsicum and garlic, topped with pine nuts was also very good. The items from the grill menu included chicken, lamb, kafta and prawns, all very soft, smoky and perfectly accompanied the other dips and Fattoush salad. The quantity was on the big side, which I loved but the quality was well above expectation. We also ordered the home made lemonade drink with rose water and pomegranate. Again, something I have never seen before in restaurants I have dined in before, a very nice touch and beautiful drink.

Overall, 5 stars on all levels. Atmosphere was nice, quality fit out, excellent service, good value for money and the most important item – the food was incredible. I would come back to Melbourne just to eat here again. This conclusion was also echoed by my three guests who all felt the same.

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank FijiFriends

Reviewed June 25, 2017

great service & a funky menu with a huge range of options. i've had the lamb tablieh a couple of times. lamb was perfect - tender and juicy; hummus wasn't great -too thick and a bland- but the place is still good value and i will go back.

try the turkish soft drinks.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed May 3, 2017

Look, the kebabs are nice, but, the accompaniments, tahini, hommous, pickles etc, lacked flavour ( garlic, lemon juice, cumin ) I bought home a container of babaganoush & the texture was gummy & the flavour , just wasn,t there,would not come back, nor recommend !

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed April 4, 2017

Went for a team lunch of about 12 people. I ordered the Soufra for 1 which put me into the most glorious food coma for the rest of the afternoon. Luscious garlic toum and yummy hummus, fresh salad, and lovely lamb - what more could you ask for. Generous servings. Quick and efficient (yet friendly) service - and meals all came out together, which is what you want at lunchtime. Looking forward to another lunch we have booked there soon!!

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed March 29, 2017

Great atmosphere and service. Generous servings. Unfortunately, the food lacked the authentic Middle Eastern flavour and taste. It just didn't cut it. All a little bland.
Arrived with great anticipation. Left feeling quite disappointed.

Date of visit: March 2017