“Great food, generous serve and quick but the service was lack lustre” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Long Room

The Long Room
Ranked #460 of 3,850 Restaurants in Melbourne
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Melbourne
“Great food, generous serve and quick but the service was lack lustre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

We had a pre-show dinner package booked at 6pm on a weeknight for 2. Being my birthday, I contacted the restaurant earlier asking for a 'nice table' and was curtly told the venue was fully booked and we could not be moved from the main restaurant. Not surprisingly, it wasn't and we were seated closer to the table next to us than the distance from one side of our table to the other that I could not hear my son at all and had the pleasure of listening to my neighboring diner tell her date about how much money she has, needs, wants, deserves and that he needs to show this same vacuous focus, riveting!

My son's coat was also kicked under the table by the waitress rather than offer to hang it like a restaurant of this stature should.

Food:
I had the Peri Peri chicken and my don had the steak which were both well cooked with a generous serve of meat and tasty veggies but there was only 4 choices on the dinner menu. We were served quickly and one waitress was great but the others had a real attitude.

I would recommend the dinner/show package but will try a different venue next time.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Indonesian first
“New and improved”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

It has been a long while since I last entered the long room, the last time I went I had a bad experience due to arrogance of security and management, the security there were thugish and I had witnessed them go to unnecessary extreme lengths to remove a patron from their premises while management stood idly by encouraging the act, It made me uneasy in making the decision to return. I was pleasantly surprised to see a new security team who were well mannered at the door and this trend continued
inside, they were very helpfull with any questions I had as well and ACTUALLY smiling! The staff were friendly and service was good! The crowd was a little too casual for my liking but besides that it was a pleasant night and Ill
definitely be returning on a more frequent basis. Great improvement.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank countrygall
Los Angeles, California
“Sexually and racially discriminative”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

At approximately 11pm on 18 August 2013, my friend and I were denied entry at The Long Room. The reason cited by the doorman was that we were required to return with two females. This is what subsequently transpired:

1. We peacefully removed ourselves from the line but requested clarification of the rationale and were advised that The Long Bar was only permitting a ratio of 1:1 male/female to enter.

2. We deliberately observed over time that this was not the case as the doorman allowed fair coloured Australian males to enter without women, as well as groups of females.

3. Notwithstanding the above, we re-entered the queue with 4 females as a group and were again denied entry.

4. If this was not insulting enough, on questioning the seemingly discriminatory behaviour of The Long Room, the same doorman went further and proclaimed that we were as "dumb as we looked".

As two Australian born professionals with Master level degrees and Italian parenthood, we found this whole incident to be absolutely degrading, derogatory and discriminatory. This was clearly evident to certain females in the line that witnessed the exchange and felt the need to apologise to us in embarrassment.

For the avoidance of doubt, we were not intoxicated and complied with the dress code which was never disputed.

This kind of discriminatory treatment should not be tolerated. I note from reading a recent previous review of The Long Room that it appears this is not an isolated incident and I am aware that such experiences can be shared by email to longroomcomplaints@gmail.com

Visited August 2013
5 Thank OTraveller_13
Jsaint, Manager at The Long Room, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback based on your experience when trying to enter Longroom on 17th August (I'm assuming you meant the 17th, as we were closed on the 18th August). I do apologise that you felt in any way discrimated against.

Longroom is a venue that for 9 years now has enjoyed the patronage of guests from all cultures and backgrounds and it is something that makes the venue as popular as it is. It would be wrong of any venue to racially discriminate and it certainly isn't a practice of ours.

I can encourage you to look at the photo galleries on our website to see the crowd that we had in on the 17th August and any other night which highlights my above point.

In regards to a male to female ratio, this is something that late in the evenings we may introduce to keep the numbers of both males and females even in the venue. If guests are attending a function / event or on a guest list, this doesn't apply as they receive priority entry which is why you may have seen some guests enter the venue ahead of you.

Our General Manager would be more than happy to chat to you regarding your experience, please feel free to contact Ah'dhu Yoosuf on 03 9663 7226 or via email at operations@thelongroom.com.au
Melbourne, Australia
“A must visit for a great cocktail or a glass of bubbles with the girls!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Tapas Selection is so good and great value for money. I have been back on a Friday night and instead of a packed busy bar, you receive the service you want. Great for after work drinks and all the staff are amazing. Cara, the lady on duty went above and beyond to help us and Chole, Alehandra and Andy (behind the bar) were all out standing and nothing was too much for them.

A must visit for a great cocktail or a glass of bubbles with the girls!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Quinny E
Wallsend
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent service, fabulous food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, excellent service couldn't fault it. Fast and good. A bit chilly sitting near the door but you get that in winter...

• Visited July 2013