“clean and modern with everything you need”
Review of Urban Central

Urban Central
Ranked #32 of 155 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

this is a very professional hostel, well run and organized. its clean and well laid out and has excellent if slightly expensive facilities. rooms a bit on the warm side and are noisy due to its location by a busy road. st kilda is accessible as is the south bank. bit expensive but does include breakfast and is worth the money rather than staying in some of the other awful hostels in Melbourne.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank JaneZoo
Jason-GM, Front Office Manager at Urban Central, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

It was fantastic to read that you enjoyed your time at Urban Central. Thank you very much for your positive review, I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Urban Central again soon.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I can't really think of anything wrong with Urban Central. The staff on front desk are incredibly friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome upon arrival.
The rooms are very clean and the fact that they are 4-bed dorms means that one gets enough privacy and enough sleep in them! The individual reading lights were a definite bonus and the air-con made all the difference during the hot nights!
I loved the free breakfast in the mornings as it saved us a lot of money, as did the free pasta and rice which was available all day long. This brings me to my next point; the kitchen. Constantly clean and very efficient, with enough working hobs and equipment to mean one never had to wait to cook, the facilities were second to none.
The bar itself was a nice place to chill out in during the day and though packed at night, the noise barely made it past the bar doors, let alone anywhere near the rooms!
Highly recommended, especially for the price, but book ahead of time!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Billy P

It was fantastic to read that you would recommend Urban Central. I am glad you found our staff friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed our free breakfast and free pasta and the air conditioning during those warm Melbourne nights. We thank you for your support of Urban Central and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were quite amazed to find the hotel room so clean and comfortable and although overlooking a major road, it was very quiet. Pleasant stay...would consider staying here again as it was also very central.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Jurgen H
Jason-GM, Front Office Manager at Urban Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Hello, Thanks very much for your kind review of Urban Central. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our private rooms. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Urban Central one day.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is rather a hotel complex than a hostel, but the price is so good! We had a 4 bed dorm which was great, because the beds are arranged in such a way that everyone has some privacy. The individual reading lights are also good. Well tought of. Unfortunately, the aircon was so loud that we couldnt use it, so we slept with open windows (big street outside) which was less noise. The bathrooms were kept clean, which is a tough job when you see all the youngsters that are not old enough to put their make up tissues in the garbage bin.

The free breakfast was juice, toast and cereal, but sufficient. They were always short of cups though, I wonder if people just took them to the rooms and forgot. The bar downstairs was good, as it kept the noise down at the other levels.

The kitchen is well organized and there are people that make sure that it stays clean. Good plus: Free pasta and rice every day.

We also liked the travel agent downstairs, who had good deals. BIG MINUS: The wifi was so expensive that we didnt even bother to buy credit. Just go next door to Mc Donalds or downtown (free wifi). With so many guests they could easily set up their own.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello, Thanks very much for your kind review of Urban Central. I am glad you enjoyed our rooms, the price, our free breakfast and the travel agent. I have passed on your issues with the Air conditioning to our Maintenance department to have fixed. Thanks again

Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The one thing I have to mention first are the very friendly and helpful staff - quick to jump on anything reported and there are always staff keeping the kitchens clean. The room was big and all had huge lockers with power points. The kitchen was large and the shower blocks/toilets were all clean and well maintained. Not quite as sociable as the other hostel I stayed in unless you stayed in the bar or dining area. Other than that, free pasta, rice, breakfast and condiments which you can't argue with! I guess it offsets the WiFi price but being conveniently across the road from mc D's (free WiFi) you could just pop over, order a coffee and use theirs. I enjoyed my short stay there but I guess it's down to luck of the draw with who you share a room with! Recommended for sure.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank the1paulcole

Thank you for your great review of Urban Central. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and made the most of our free offers. I will pass on your kind words to our staff. Safe Travels

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed here for two weeks over Christmas and new year and really enjoyed myself. If your like me and the one thing you care most about in a hostel is the cleanliness then this is the place for you as its absolutley spotless! Its very big and has lots of people staying but is very well run by staff. Bar downstairs is good craic aswel! When our aircon broke it was fixed within a few hours. Only complaint is that nearly everything we bought from the supermarket was stolen even though it was bagged and labelled! Shame really do not understand why travellers steal from other travellers when they know how annoying it is. Other than that its a great hostel and great location

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ashleen1990

Hello, thanks for your review of Urban Central. Its great to hear you had such a good time staying with us. We hope to be able to welcome you back one day soon.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I didn't have a booking when I arrived . the staff has been very polite, helpful and tried to accomodate me. I stayed there for 2 nights and I enjoyed my stay. It not too noisy even though there is a bar on site. I could not hear anything from my dorm . The dorms have 4 beds only, so they're not overcrowded . there are big lockers that can fit suitcases and enough space on the room to put them on the floor.
I had a share bathroom which was clean and had enough showers , I never had to queue.

The hostel offers free breakfast. I liked it because there is no hassle of buying everygthing for just 2 nights. But the hostel is so big, that there are lots of guests all having breakfast at the same time. I found it difficult to get hold of a tea cup, toasting my bread and doing the dishes . I just went to Macdonalds accross the street on my second morning , to also use the Free WiFi (which the hostel does not offer).

The hostel is located 5 min away from the Crown Complex ( Casino, bars, shopping mall), 10 min away from the Southern Cross train station and 15 min from Federation square. I walked everywhere, it's easy to get around .

I would recommand this hostel : clean but very big, too many people going around. I like smaller places where it's easier to socialise. I would not stay there for a long term

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank karendurst

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Urban Central. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our free breakfast and thought highly of our central location. All the best on your travels.