“Good price, but no atmosphere”
Review of Urban Central

Urban Central
Ranked #33 of 144 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is rather a hotel complex than a hostel, but the price is so good! We had a 4 bed dorm which was great, because the beds are arranged in such a way that everyone has some privacy. The individual reading lights are also good. Well tought of. Unfortunately, the aircon was so loud that we couldnt use it, so we slept with open windows (big street outside) which was less noise. The bathrooms were kept clean, which is a tough job when you see all the youngsters that are not old enough to put their make up tissues in the garbage bin.

The free breakfast was juice, toast and cereal, but sufficient. They were always short of cups though, I wonder if people just took them to the rooms and forgot. The bar downstairs was good, as it kept the noise down at the other levels.

The kitchen is well organized and there are people that make sure that it stays clean. Good plus: Free pasta and rice every day.

We also liked the travel agent downstairs, who had good deals. BIG MINUS: The wifi was so expensive that we didnt even bother to buy credit. Just go next door to Mc Donalds or downtown (free wifi). With so many guests they could easily set up their own.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason-GM, Front Office Manager at Urban Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Hello, Thanks very much for your kind review of Urban Central. I am glad you enjoyed our rooms, the price, our free breakfast and the travel agent. I have passed on your issues with the Air conditioning to our Maintenance department to have fixed. Thanks again

There are newer reviews for Urban Central

Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The one thing I have to mention first are the very friendly and helpful staff - quick to jump on anything reported and there are always staff keeping the kitchens clean. The room was big and all had huge lockers with power points. The kitchen was large and the shower blocks/toilets were all clean and well maintained. Not quite as sociable as the other hostel I stayed in unless you stayed in the bar or dining area. Other than that, free pasta, rice, breakfast and condiments which you can't argue with! I guess it offsets the WiFi price but being conveniently across the road from mc D's (free WiFi) you could just pop over, order a coffee and use theirs. I enjoyed my short stay there but I guess it's down to luck of the draw with who you share a room with! Recommended for sure.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank the1paulcole

Thank you for your great review of Urban Central. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and made the most of our free offers. I will pass on your kind words to our staff. Safe Travels

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed here for two weeks over Christmas and new year and really enjoyed myself. If your like me and the one thing you care most about in a hostel is the cleanliness then this is the place for you as its absolutley spotless! Its very big and has lots of people staying but is very well run by staff. Bar downstairs is good craic aswel! When our aircon broke it was fixed within a few hours. Only complaint is that nearly everything we bought from the supermarket was stolen even though it was bagged and labelled! Shame really do not understand why travellers steal from other travellers when they know how annoying it is. Other than that its a great hostel and great location

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ashleen1990

Hello, thanks for your review of Urban Central. Its great to hear you had such a good time staying with us. We hope to be able to welcome you back one day soon.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I didn't have a booking when I arrived . the staff has been very polite, helpful and tried to accomodate me. I stayed there for 2 nights and I enjoyed my stay. It not too noisy even though there is a bar on site. I could not hear anything from my dorm . The dorms have 4 beds only, so they're not overcrowded . there are big lockers that can fit suitcases and enough space on the room to put them on the floor.
I had a share bathroom which was clean and had enough showers , I never had to queue.

The hostel offers free breakfast. I liked it because there is no hassle of buying everygthing for just 2 nights. But the hostel is so big, that there are lots of guests all having breakfast at the same time. I found it difficult to get hold of a tea cup, toasting my bread and doing the dishes . I just went to Macdonalds accross the street on my second morning , to also use the Free WiFi (which the hostel does not offer).

The hostel is located 5 min away from the Crown Complex ( Casino, bars, shopping mall), 10 min away from the Southern Cross train station and 15 min from Federation square. I walked everywhere, it's easy to get around .

I would recommand this hostel : clean but very big, too many people going around. I like smaller places where it's easier to socialise. I would not stay there for a long term

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank karendurst

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Urban Central. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our free breakfast and thought highly of our central location. All the best on your travels.

Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Staff were very helpful and the room was nice. This wasnt the place for me though. I checked in shortly after 7 pm and guests were drinking everywhere. There is a sign that says no outside alcohol but people were just using holders. The average age seemed to be early twenties which is ok. Add alcohol and lots of people i felt quite out of place in my thirties though my room mates were older too. The room was quieter than i expected. Breakfast was mayhem just cause there are so many people at the hostel.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Urban Central. I will pass on your kind words to our staff about their service. Our bar can get quite busy on the weekends but we do have security around the venue to make sure everyone is having a good time. I will also pass on these comments to our Bar Manager.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed here for 1 week in a 4 bed dorm. Other peoples cleanliness made the room look messy and untidy on arrival. Bed frame was very dusty and the metal wardrobes are noisy, very unsightly and were filthy. Bathrooms are good with hot powerful showers. Bar downstairs is cool and well priced and quiet (free water is good). Kitchen was well equipt with lots of storage although fridges wernt cold enough and milk went sour quickly. Good to see pasta and rice was free and basic breakfasts in morning. Staff were friendly and helpful throughout the stay. Location is a little out of the city centre (15mns walk). Our main problem was the internet prices, both computers and wi-fi. $4 dollars an hour on computer and similar prices just for wi-fi is far to much compared to other places that offer free wi-fi throughout the building. As we used the internet alot we were paying an extra $48 a week to use the internet during a week which is disgusting!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason-GM, Front Office Manager at Urban Central, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Hello,
Thanks for your review of Urban Central.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the bathrooms, hot showers, our bar, and the free breakfast and free rice and pasta.

In regards to the maintenance issues you have mentioned, we have passed that on and will make sure these issues are fixed immediatly.

Again, thanks for taking the time to review, and hopefully we will see you again one day.

Thanks
Katherine

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The urban central is a really good hostel. There are 4-bed dorms in the whole hostel and its really clean. They clean the rooms every morning and the rooms are big and bright. The hostel even provides towels. The kitchen facilities are also very good and big and you really feel comfortable when you cook cus everything is clean and tidy. Really nice hostel staff as well. The hostel is 10 minutes from the city centre away.
The only bad thing was the expensive wifi so we always had to go to the mcdonalds on the other side of the hostel to have wifi.
I would really recommend this hostel as its nearly as good as a hotel! :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Hello,
Thanks for your review of Urban Central. Im glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hopefully we can welcome you back here one day soon.

Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Regards,