“Good and Bad Points....worst kitchen in all of Australia” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Urban Central

Urban Central
Ranked #28 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Northern Ireland
“Good and Bad Points....worst kitchen in all of Australia”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed in Urban Central for 3 and half months, Met lots of nice people there. Depends on which staff member you get on how helpful they are. All dorms are 4 bed which is good, good size locker, rooms are basic but clean and well sized. Bathrooms need to be cleaned more regularly. Communal areas are not what they are advertised to be - no sofas/chairs at tv area? Kitchen really lets this place down big time - no room to move even for a few people never mind the amount of people who stay here, kitchen always very dirty with no clean dishes, only ever a couple of hobs working at a time, always a que to use the kitchen and fridges are useless and they are at about 10 oC so your food goes off after a day!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bookie3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

Very rude staff even for Melbourne standards. I was in a private room and I found the heating did not work. Being Melbourne in winter it was freezing. I told the desk and it seemed like something would be done about it when I was out. When I got back nothing had happed. I again told the desk, where a woman was very rude to me, then handed me a personal heater. looked at me like I was stupid and told me not to cover it. She treated me like a child. The room was not that clean. The noise from the bar was awful even on the 5th floor! It went till 5am. My room was next to the elevators, which are the noisiest I have ever heard and went up and down all night. I barely slept the few days I was there.

Room Tip: No where near the elevators or the bar.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank AnnabellaRose
, General Manager at Urban Central, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Hi AnnabellaRose, How awful it would have been for you, please accept my most sincere apologies. Since you stayed my heating issues have been rectified and we've reviewed our team incumbents and practices. If you would like to contact Urban Central and ask for me personally i would love to discuss your issues with a view to satisfying your frustrations. I hope to hear from you in the near future. Regards, Jason
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

Stayed at Urban Central for a week in Jan 2012, 4 bed dorm. The room was basic with lockers (you needed your own lock) which has power points in them. The beds were ok, although they squeaked whenever you moved which was a bit annoying. The A/C worked ok but didn't really cool down the end of the room that I was in that well. Showers/toilets were all ok, reasonably clean with decent water pressure although the urinals in the gents had a a habit of really stinking very soon after cleaning.

The shared kitchen was massive and had all the bits and bobs you need for a large amount of people to cook, including microwaves, grills, numerous hobs (quite a few of which didn't work actually) as well as big fridges and shelves for personal food storage. The breakfast which was included in the price was good too; cereals, toast and jam/vegemite and juices as well as tea and coffee. Breakfast was generally pretty well organized.

On site there is also a bar which was ok, drinks were reasonably priced and while we were there they showed a few sporting events (the tennis was on..) and there were several music nights. If you're up for socialising and getting drunk i'm sure you'd have a great time here as there are loads of people in the hostel.

The hostel is pretty well located, about 5-10 mins walk from the station, not far from several tram stops and with the market and several shops just a few minutes walk away.

Overall, a little soulless but a decent place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Alkmaar
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed in this hostel for 3 nights, first night on first floor, located above the hostelbar! Very loud music till late. Also on streetside where other guests would be smoking outside, till late! 2nd and 3d night we stayed on fifth floor, so no more noise from hotelbar. This time we were kept awake bij the trafficsounds from the M1, which runs past the hostel.
We found the staff very friendly, the free breakfast appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for room on topfloor and not on the M1 side!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brigit v
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

With a recommendation from a friend I enquired about booking in at Urban Central for 1 week. Don't get me wrong, it all sounds very nice but I cannot bring myself to stay somewhere with such awful customer service- and that's just over the phone!
First off, I checked online for prices and availability- both of which were good so I decided to call instead of having to register with another online company. When I spoke with the first female on reception I was told that the online price would be $30 cheaper for the week than to book over the phone. When I tried to do this, there was some sort of computer (phone) fail- so I called back to ensure the bed! I was then told give my credit card details (usually for a deposit) but this time I was to pay the entire balance before I was even in the state! I announced how unusual this was and was told that it was their policy to pay for the duration of the stay before arrival, although I had intended to pay cash on checking in. This hurdle over, I have just had to call and cancel the booking due to transport issues i.e my bus did not come and I am unsure now when I will be in Melbourne. First phone call- on hold for 5 minutes- no progress! Second phone call, I was bluntly told that I would have to pay for 2 nights - over $60. I had reasonably expected to lose one nights money, not two!
I have found that on visiting around 30 hostels in the last 6 months that policies change between establishments, but I have to say that the ones in this hostel are the worst! So although I did not even stay here I definately will not inthe future!!

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Svenfromswe
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

After travelling from Vietnam to Australia, walking the streets of Melbourne in search of a hostel we stumbled upon Urban Central. Blatantly tired and in need of a nice clean fresh room to sleep in the lady at reception decided to put my boyfriend and I into a long stay 4 dorm room. We walked in took one look at the bomb site that looked liked it was last cleaned a year ago-food lying on the floor also, went to reception complained and then were moved to a normal room...cant believe she had the cheek to even think we'd be happy in a long stay room when there were plenty more rooms available. once in the better room the stay was OK. Seriously though I'd not recommend this to any one on the basis of the experience at reception.

Kitchen was also always busy all day long and in general the hostel had a bad vibe about it.
There are plenty more place to stay in Melbourne so shop around first.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank murbikiss_12
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

I stayed here for three weeks and though the room was clean, as a rule the staff were unhelpful, and unfriendly save one or two. They seem to be burnt out and basically did not care about anything you needed or any concerns you had. Also they ripped me off saying that I did not give enugh notice when I left and that I was paying for an aextra night. I objected and then later enquired if my friend could use my bed for the night I had paid for and they admitted that they had sold it to someone else, so thay got my money plus someone elses. It was outrageous, perhaps they are on comission !! Also it has to be the loudest place I have ever stayed in my life. The freeway that runs beside the building is so loud and goes 24/7. I was as a rule unimpressed with the place, they treat you like a number and that is not good.

Room Tip: Dont stay there.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends