“So disappointed.”

Ranked #545 of 4,065 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Australian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Steakhouse 66 is all about fresh flavours & sensational views. The modern Australian menu features a fantastic range of a la carte dishes. Setting off the casual atmosphere, the Steakhouse 66 dips & flat bread are an ideal way to kick off an evening with friends. As the name suggests, steaks are a highlight of our grills menu. From M.S.A. Rib eye fillet to porterhouse, Australian Angus tenderloin to Wagyu rump, you'll be spoilt for choice. Steakhouse 66 also has plenty of seafood and vegetarian meals for those who prefer. Floor to ceiling windows show off the waterfront location so every table has a view of Melbourne's unique waterways.
“So disappointed.”
Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

Went there on a Wednesday night so not a busy night. Ordered entrees and mains, after an hour of watching people come in after us, eat and leave, we finally got the waitresses attention and asked where our entrees were!!!
Watching the staff run around it was obvious our order was never processed and eventually a waitress came over and said our entrees would be a couple of minutes.
Finally we got our entrees followed by our mains 5 minutes after. We ordered some sides with our main but they never arrived. Asked waitress where they were but just got another sorry.
Got the bill and they didn't charge us for the sides that never arrived but didn't offer any discount for the wait or misplacing our order.
The food was nice but didn't enjoy the experience of Grill 66 at all.
Definately not recommended.

Swan Hill, Victoria, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do not reccommend”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Planned a beautiful dinner for 6 off the back of current great reviews. However was disgusted when presented with reheated fish, and plated cold meat. When confronted waiting staff and head chef they admitted to reheating food for service of poor quality dishes. We were left $450 out of pocket and unsatisfied. When paying premium prices for supposed 'great food' it is unacceptable to serve reheated food and for the chef and staff to defend their methods of re-using food to cut costs. It was no surprise that on a thursday night we seated to an empty house. Do not recommend, would not go back.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Mitch G
Maitland, Australia
“You would think a steak bar would know how to cook steak !!”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I dined at Grill 66 with my daughter, I ordered a steak medium rare - she ordered hers medium.

Mine arrived cooked about right, but hers was more rare than mine. I called the waiter and insisted he take it back to the kitchen. The waiter was hardly apologetic, saying only that it wasn't their head chef doing the cooking.

However, returning the steak meant that I had to eat my meal while they recooked hers. When hers returned it was burnt on the outside, but still rare on the inside. She had to eat what she could while I had already finished my meal. Between the undercooked and the burnt, there was about a quarter that was cooked the way she had requested.

Even when he came to collect the plates and could clearly see that she had left the over and under cooked meat, he made no comment other than the plainly stupid question "did you enjoy your meal". I said that we hadn't and asked him to tell the chef that we were extremely dissapointed.

About that time I would have expected a more profuse apology - or for the chef to personally apologise, but all we got was "I'm sorry about that"

If the experience had been at a fast food restuarant or one being a completely different cusine we would have written it off as a poor menu choice on our behalf, but for a specialist steak bar that has quite high prices, you would expect that even the second chef should know how to cook at steak. Bear in mind there where only eight diners at the time!

When we asked for the bill, I thought any reasonable place would have not charged for the (twice) incorrectly cooked steak - especially as it had not been eaten - but not here.

Though we had already declined dessert or coffee, when he returned with the receipt the waiter offered my daughter a free cup of coffee !!

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank Geoff_Heather
Bne
“Make sure you check with the staff what are on special”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

me and my partner dined in at this restaurant few weeks ago. We saw on their website that they have this 50% off promotion so we thought why not. We called and enquired if they still hav rd. the special promotion that night. They said yes and we booked a table. Reviews were good
when we got therw the place was packed so its definitely good.
one of the staff hand us both a menu and asked if we wantany drinks first, the usual so we ordered red to go with the steak. I ordered salmon
We noticed that there were star * sign on some of the menu we thought that the previous just marked it to remember what they ordered or something
There was a wait which was fine. My salmon was very well done, dry & salty which I forgave.
We also ordered deserts, not too bad but nothing special.
When we got the bill we were chargwd full price for everythin. We enquired& the gentleman advised that it is beculause we didnt order their specials. We said that what specials?
We were not told which is which. If we have known earlier we would have choosen those.
we went back & forth
They finally settled the bill accordingly on our favour.
I must say though the service was very good they always checked if we have water,etc. Just next time better check the nill & clear with the staff what r the specials.
It is also quite convenieny, just catch a tram.

Melbourne
“Has changed names to "Grill 66" - it's a steakhouse and they got the steak wrong!??!”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I went here for Valentines Day this year and it was still named Steakhouse. Has since changed to "Grill 66". In Feb we had a great night, steaks were perfect, good menu list and staff were helpful. Although there didnt seem to be one staff member allocated to our table and so we got asked the same question by various staff a number of times. And similarly when we asked for the bill, no one seemed to actually get it to us, had to finally walk up to the counter to pay.

So I visited this August - again for dinner, on a Thursday at 7pm and we were the only ones there (lucky i booked ;)
We came as we wanted a good steak for dinner obviously. There was only 3 steaks available, yearling grass fed, MSA or Wagyu, in only a few different cuts ranging from $28 to $41. There are other menu items which could otherwise appeal, but only small menu. We both had a steak, mine a porterhouse medium, my fathers a T-bone medium-rare. The steaks came out at the same time and mine was more raw than my fathers, infact the middle was completely raw. Mine was taken away and returned once cooked - still more medium raw than medium, but now quite burnt on the outside.
As I was starving I just accepted this steak. We had profuse apologies from the waiter (who had hounded us all night, being the only customers!) but all that was offered was free coffee. He said the chef wasnt the head chef but a sous chef - apparently 2 levels down. I argue however that they are claiming steak as their specialty so surely they should be able to cook a steak!!

When we turned down the menu for dessert and the offer of ONE free coffee, we were then ignored. He finally came back to fill up our water which is when we were able to ask for the bill finally.

My other complaint would be that you now also have to pay $3 to get a sauce with your steak. In february it was free.

• Visited August 2011