“Good”

Cuisines: Chinese, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Nice, authentic food; fabulous service; attractive decor and pleasing ambience; good and efficient service; reasonable value given quality and location. Would come back.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Had another great dinner here and the friends we shared it with were impressed. You need to be guided on the quantities but more of less is the way to go. More tastes, more experiance, more fun.

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic meal! Meaty braised pork belly, eye fillet with sublime potatoes, broccoli and snake beans in hoisin soy sesame sauce. Wow! We will be back soon.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This place has really good cocktails and the bartender is very knowldegeable and nice. Try talking to them and you will learn a lot.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I've just returned from a month in Melbourne and I ate in Seamstress three times. One of the local folks I was working with said "You can't keep going back to the same restaurant. Melbourne has so many good restaurants!" She's right, and I ate at some of them, but you've also got to know when you've found somewhere worth returning to. The atmosphere in the cocktail bar and the restaurant is warm and welcoming and the food is stunningly good: Asian, tapas style. Small or large dishes made to be shared with friends. I'd recommend maple seared scallops, the crisp skinned duck breast and the braised pork belly, but don't leave without trying the crisp soft shelled crab, with its mix of sweetness, spice and crunchy tempura batter and the superlative caramelised eggplant with red miso & silken tofu sauce.

I've discussed our last meal with our two guests; locals who live in the area and know the local restaurant scene, but who'd never been to Seamstress before. We agreed that the food alone would draw you back. But when we talked about why we'd had such a great time, the deciding factor was the staff. Of course, they're good at their jobs. They know the menu well and can help you decide what to have. They don't crowd you between courses. But there's something else. They got to know me well in a short time and made me feel that I was a regular, visiting my favourite neighbourhood restaurant. It was like being among friends. My local friends are definitely going back. I'd join them but for the several thousand miles in my way.