“Generous sized Meals”

Ranked #132 of 614 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Australian, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Shipwrights Arms Hotel was established in 1846. Situated in the heart of historic Battery Point, Shippies (as it is known by the locals) has unique collection of Tasmanian and maritime memorabilia. Browse around the bar for the maritime memories including a 7 metre photomural showing every Sydney to Hobart yacht race line honours winner. The English style bar (built by a shipwright) features Tasmanian timbers and the log fires keep it cosy during winter. In summer you can relax in the ambient beer garden.
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Two couples enjoyed a 57th birthday meal here. It was recommended by a friend with a big appetite . Meals were tasty and deserts were delicious. Friendly service too. I will be happy to go again but for the best steak in Hobart it has to be The Ball & Chain for me.

There are newer reviews for Shipwright's Arms

Reviewed May 16, 2012

As a Taswegian, I had always heard that 'Shippies' was a great place to come for a pub meal, but we were all a little bit disappointed.

I usually go for something other than the standard pub fare, and they did have a range of options, a few more exciting things on the menu, which was good. There's even the option of Lambs Brains, but we were all too faint hearted to try.

My friends said the chips weren't much and the fisherman's basket was all a bit same-same, but personally I don't know what variation anyone expects from a bunch of deep fried fish... Although the restaurant does make a big thing of all their fish and produce being local and fresh, which is commendable.

..but my main gripe was that the meals didn't come with a side salad! So our table of 8 ordered a few fish and chips, or parmigana and chips, and that's what they got. No trace of green anywhere!

I get that some people like this, I have a friend who always asks for the salad to be held off. But to have this as a standard thing, and most importantly to not even mention it on the menu or have the waiter let you know, is deplorable.

On the good side, there's a nice atmosphere to the place; I once had to pick my Dad up from here when he went on a school reunion, and there was an all-men A Cappella group there, not hired by the restaurant, but just meeting up there for their local singing group, and it was lovely.

So the atmosphere is good, the food was good pub-fare with a few adventurous options as well, but really really let down by the total lack of side salads or vegetables.

A note on the menu would have made all the difference to my review.

1  Thank RikkiSowtz
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Aunties Birthday Dinner, great atmosphere, food was good, stayed and had a few drinks, very comfy place

Reviewed April 9, 2012

We made a booking for 7 and had never been here before for meals, we were all impressed with the service and our meals. Arron was the perfect waiter all night. Later we went into bar area and again were impressed with staff and service

Reviewed April 9, 2012

You will need to book, they are usually full. It is not swish fare but it is good honest pub food and the service is friendly. This place is all about the locals of battery point. After a few drinks on the patio.. why not have a walk around battery point and admire the convict architecture?