“Great food, and live music.”

Republic Bar & Cafe
Reserve with
Republic Bar & Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #116 of 596 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: One of the most popular pubs in Tasmania. Café style, warm and inviting atmosphere, great fun for lunch or a night out. Popular with a large, loyal local following. Award winning food, large wine selection and live music every day of the week. Also with 2 function rooms and a beergarden with BBQ facilities.name for itself until it became the empire in 1921 but not for the reasons we no it today, it was known for prostitution, drug dealing and all other nasty goings on it was not until it opened as the republic bar and café in 1997 That we started to get a name for ourselves not only as the premier live music venue in hobart but arts, politics and the great quality pub food as well!When it first opened the live music scene was close to non existent in hobart, starting off with generally only local music and concentrating on the genre of blues and jazz until slowly broadening the live music into pretty much all genres and this is when we started getting the bigger live acts here tex perking, tim rogers, magic dirt, jebediah and later on Augie march and Lisa Mitchell and pub rock favourites dallas crane. Also in the past we have had some big international acts here.
Queensland, Australia
“Great food, and live music.”
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner and some drinks here, then watched the live band. The staff were friendly and very helpful, and the atmosphere was great. A very short taxi ride to the CBD, and Battery Point.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank RachMMartin

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
“Interior upgrade & revamped menu”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Since my last visit, the floor has been renewed, not detracting from the overall ambience.

Revamped menu was good to see,had the beef cheeks which were excellent.

Attended with a group of 8, all were extremely satisfied with the food, pricing and the new works.

Good on you boys

• Visited June 2014
Hobart, Australia
“Mediocre experience”
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Okay so today was Mothers day and I decided to take Mum out for lunch. I figured most places dont take reservations for two so we would wing it. On our arrival I approached a tall man at the bar and asked if it was possible for a table and he said if we were quick it wpuld be okay. I assumed the table must have had a later booking but it didnt. Overall the reception from this man was quite poor and I almost felt like I was being a nuisance whilst ordering drinks from him. The other female staff were all lovely. Mum ordered duck and I ordered the pumpkin and garlic risotto. I had food jealousy for Mum's dish when it came out the only negative on her meal was the meat was a bit tougher than it should be. My risotto on the other hand was a disappointment. Very little flavour and I couldn't taste the garlic at all, but I was hungry so I ate it all (not a big portion size). I Was not happy with the 23 dollars I paid for my risotto and if I return I will be much wiser with my food choice.

1 Thank ejfaulkner93
“Don't waste your money ”
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Went for a quick meal at a place we have frequented in the past with satisfaction. So I was expecting the same good eating evening like they used to be at the republic; a counter meal with taste. Disappointed. We weren't the only ones, as on talking with people on 2 other tables, it seemed they felt the same way about the food.
We had the extra delight of very inappropriate behaviour from one member of their staff. One waitress was rude and grumpy and sadly she took our order at the counter. There was a misunderstanding about the order and she went out of her way to make us feel we were wrong and to blame ( seriously it mucked up an electronic order easy fix, no other harm was done) and she made my friend feel like he shouldn't be there. Good front of house staff don't do this. Resentful workers cost businesses. She needs feedback.
The food was ok, but seriously there is better around North Hobart and for less money. What ever has happened to the cooking/service at the republic bar- the empty seats say it all. Don't waste your money on this place, til it lifts it's game again.

2 Thank SNTas
Melbourne, Australia
“Looks Can be Decieving”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Doesn`t look much from the outside, just a pub, but i was happy to see it was a live venue as well. So in we went & had a brilliant meal, a couple of pints & saw a local singer /songwriter (albeit with an American accent) along with featured guest artists to accompany him
A great down to earth atmosphere, really felt at home

Visited February 2014