“My favourite pub food.”

Ranked #127 of 642 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: One of the most popular pubs in Tasmania. Café style, warm and inviting atmosphere, great fun for lunch or a night out. Popular with a large, loyal local following. Award winning food, large wine selection and live music every day of the week. Also with 2 function rooms and a beergarden with BBQ facilities.name for itself until it became the empire in 1921 but not for the reasons we no it today, it was known for prostitution, drug dealing and all other nasty goings on it was not until it opened as the republic bar and café in 1997 That we started to get a name for ourselves not only as the premier live music venue in hobart but arts, politics and the great quality pub food as well!When it first opened the live music scene was close to non existent in hobart, starting off with generally only local music and concentrating on the genre of blues and jazz until slowly broadening the live music into pretty much all genres and this is when we started getting the bigger live acts here tex perking, tim rogers, magic dirt, jebediah and later on Augie march and Lisa Mitchell and pub rock favourites dallas crane. Also in the past we have had some big international acts here.
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Restaurant quality food, ( I always start with their cob loaf to share) including a good range of veg. offerings at good prices. Friendly staff, interesting art work, left political views (used to be the Empire Hotel) support Environment and left politics by hosting banners on the outside and providing venue spaces inside. Live music every night after about 9.30pm.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

A friend had told us that the octopus here was great and on that recommendation (the 19 y.o. son loves octopus!) off we went. My wife was most unimpressed with the pub decor - so you don't go here for fancy surroundings - but right from the beginning the staff were great and very helpful. When it came to choosing the food, they were knowledgable and really went out of their way to help us find something that everyone would like. The food was great - properly prepared, fresh, described well on the menu and very satisfying. We stayed for dessert and left very happy. (On a follow-up note: I didn't get given the bill for the desserts and didn't check my bill at the time, so left without paying for desserts. I had a very polite phone call the next day to let me know and I called in and fixed it up - the whole episode was handled very well.)

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Nice little cafe which happened to be open on NY. Service was good, and the food quality was great. We had the lamb and wallaby, both cooked very well. Service was reasonable (30 min) on a pretty busy night.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

A very popular, trendy bar for the North Hobart cafe strip.
A lot of locals and those who love live music acquaint this pub which hosts quiz nights and live music, not for the fine diner.
Good average food but very busy and noisy.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

A groovy little pub with good atmosphere, great music, and seriously GREAT food. There is an excellent range of booze on offer too.

The hallmark of a good pub is a place where anyone can walk in and feel welcome. This pub manages that - most of the time. I've been here with various friends, with family (old and young), I've been dressed up, and dressed down (practically in gardening wear) and I've never felt out of place. The staff don't gush with warmth (or perhaps that's just me and the smell of my gardening clothes), but they're always polite, efficient and slightly interesting - which is all as it should be.
If anything could be changed... perhaps the dining area could be a little more comfortable, but that could just be me, showing my age. It's perfectly adequate as is.
If you're looking for food, drink and a spot of entertainment in North Hobart, the Republic is a safe bet.