“Delicious Cantonese cuisine”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We had dinner here as my boyfriend and I both love Chinese. This place is not to be missed. Loved my meal - beef fillet was very fresh and the flavours were very nice. Service is outstanding. Wish we could go back to try the yum cha but it will have to wait until next time!

Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Had the banquet menu, as someone else described below. Very, very poor quality food. The worst kind of Chinese food, either incredibly bland, the dumplings, the soup (yuk), or incredibly salty, the chicken and beef dishes. The squid was salty and rubbery. Nasty.

Maybe the a la carte is better, based on other reviews. But an average Chinese restaurant in an average High Street has much better food than this banquet.

As mentioned below the idea of a baked Alaska for dessert is a bit laughable.

Decor isn't very nice. Huge white wall behind us had a projector screen to pull down. Felt like a conference lunch venue. Very bright. Soulless, in short.

Won't ever return....

3  Thank RobSnow
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My family and I are Cantonese in origin and have eaten in Chinese restaurants all over the world. We are all foodies and especially critical of Cantonese cuisine; there can be a great deal of variation.

This restaurant is possibly one of the best we've visited in Australia. It also could hold its own amongst top Chinese restaurants worldwide. That's quite something.

Right from the beginning, we were surprised. Inside, the decor is modern but traditional. I was immediately impressed by the wine cellar on entering. Some of my favourite Australian wines were there; a number of the best wineries were represented. Service was discreet, warm and friendly. Cantonese restaurants often do not get this aspect right, but we saw a very different team here.

When the food came, we were not disappointed. Classical and modern dishes were executed well and flavours and textures well balanced. Even my parents, who eat out very frequently, were impressed. The wine match was excellent.

We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Food was top notch, wine was surprisingly good and well matched and the service was the best I've experienced in a Chinese restaurant. Hobart is very lucky to have Me Wah. Wish I lived a bit closer - will definitely be back next time I'm in Hobart!

1  Thank Serena A
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Tucked away in a small semi-circular arcade off Sandy Bay Road is the Me Wah Chinese Restaurant. A brochure was left in our accommodation, and a previous traveller had written GREAT on the front, so we thought we would give it a try. We decided on Take Away and ordered our selection from their extensive menu. The food was fantastic. We also found that if we ordered over $40 we received a free entrée selection. That was another bonus.

You can also dine in, and on the evening we were there (mid-week) they were quite full. That's a fairly good recommendation.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

You know you are onto a good thing when there is a line up outside a restaurant at 10:50am on a Sunday! The restaurant has two Yum Cha sittings on Sundays - 11am and 1pm and the 11am was fully booked (including us, thankfully). The restaurant is very tastefully decorated and the staff very friendly, helpful and professional. The Yum Cha was fresh and hot with a wide range of courses. The wine cellar rates a special mention - it presents an excellent range of local, national and international wines and is reasonably priced (it is also a great decorative feature near the entry). We averaged $20/head for brunch and are definitely going back to try dinner sometime.