“Lovely food, average atmosphere.”
Review of Annapurna

Annapurna
Ranked #94 of 627 Restaurants in Hobart
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Food was fantastic. Order the beef vindaloo. However, the staff were confused and needed better training or maybe better organization.

1  Thank Goodfoodgoodkarma

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We love Indian food and the meal presented to us was superb, the service was excellent considering the restaurant was nearly full. We had one entree to share, 2 main meals plus a condiment and four glasses of wine, the bill was $84.00 and we took home the left overs, we think that was really good value. The restaurant was very noisy but as I said it was near full. We often eat Indian and this restaurant is up there amongst the best, in saying that we have never been to India.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Somewhat mixed feeling about the meal. the starters where rather bland and the chicken tikka was pretty ordinary to be honest. Had the chefs special goat curry for main which I think was in a far too tomato sauce base and lacked flavour. Had a beef and lentil side curry which was OK but still not great. So thought the meal was OK but nothing special and a little disappointing. But wife had the seafood Thali which looked and smelt very good and she said was excellent being full of flavour, The Seafood Thali had a Scallop curry a Prawn curry and a Fish curry with a Naan rice and sides. So maybe just poor choices on my part. Service was fine, although the room did seem to lack atmosphere and didnt feel like an Indian Restaurant. So somewhat mixed would try again and choose different mains and starter. Will give the Thalli a go next time

Reviewed September 24, 2013

It took a few minutes waiting at the counter before we were finally addressed – it appeared that chatting with fellow colleagues was much more important. Although we had a table booked, we had to wait whilst our table was cleared before we could be seated. Once seated we realised that three of our friends were also dining in the restaurant and asked if the could join our table. The staff organised this with no problems at all. It wasn’t until we called over a waiter that we were served. There was obviously a language barrier between the waitress and my friend who ordered because we received an entrée for two rather then the mains banquet… We were so unimpressed and couldn’t be bothered going through the hassle of ordering again. Once our friends had paid for their meals and drinks and left we finished our wines and asked for the bill. Our bill was delivered to our table and included corkage that had been paid by our friends (this was even marked on the wine bottles). We asked that this be changed. The bill was then returned to us and totaled around $37.00. When the young waitress came and collected the money ($50.00) we told her to round it up to $40.00 – minutes later she returned with our change. We thanked her and left. Later that night our friends kept receiving calls form the restaurant saying that we had not paid and that the bill folder was left empty on the table… despite the fact that the bill folder was taken by the waitress when she collected the money. If we hadn’t of paid, how did we receive change??? The calls continued for three days requesting that we come and pay for the meal and drinks. I phoned last night to see what the confusion was and the manager advised that he had spoke with the staff on floor that night and they ALL said that we did not pay. I explained we did, and how we paid etc and his response was that he will go and check his surveillance cameras. Perhaps he should have looked at this before he continuously phoned my friends accusing us wrongfully. I asked that he check and get back to me once this had been done. Still no response. I phoned again today and was rudely told to phone again later – poor customer service again… where is the “sorry about that, I’ll get the manager to call you, what was your number again?”. We are absolutely disgusted with the service we have received, the hassle and the false accusation and will not recommend Annapurna to anyone. In fact, I had a booking for next Saturday night which I have cancelled.

1  Thank Jessica W
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Great food, service & location. Atmosphere was a little lacking because there were lots of empty tables (arrived 6pm Sunday without a booking) but this meant food was served very quickly. Tasted wonderful, took a doggy bag home with leftovers!
This place has a good local reputation and I'll defiantly go back.