“Delicious!”

Ranked #35 of 625 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Casual family friendly eatery serving pizza and small plates. We have a small boutique wine list and craft beers. Open fires and small intimate rooms make this a special place to dine.
Reviewed July 2, 2014

From the time we walked in, we were welcomed by friendly and efficient staff.The degustation menu was outstanding,delights served were the perfect size, the salmon and lamb being our highlights,and the lovely addition of the chef joining us at the table to discuss dessert made for a most enjoyable meal .By the time cheese and coffee arrived we could barely roll through the door on our way home.Only drawback were the limited wines available by the glass if you didnt choose the matching wines with your meal however if you did it was certainly good value. evening.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have walked past this restaurant many times and assumed it was closed at it looks dark from the outside. I Decided to give it a go after watching a few people go in. No reservation but that wasn't a problem. The menu was not large but looked absolutely delicious and I think that every dish would excel. Also very reasonable. I had blue eye travella with scallops and purée. Served with aside of sprouts and bacon.. Divine
Was served a warm rosemary bread with a slab of butter and sea salt.. Very nice touch
I ordered water which was held in a cooler away from the table.. I'm not a fan of not being able to pour your own water and consequently would have left most of the bottle. To be fair.. Had I communicated this, I am sure it would have been resolved! Staff were super courteous and polite.

1  Thank mingomagic
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Monty's was always my favourite restaurant with the previous owners but I hadn't had a chance to go there since they sold last year. My partner knew I wanted to go and we found time recently for a wonderful romantic dinner.

The food was superb, my specific dietary niggles were accommodated, and the service was great. The only small issue was our $150 bottle of wine wasn't decanted and I ended up with a mouth full of sediment on the last glass. The person did realise it should have been decanted and apologised. The previous owners used to decant any bottle that was a bit older, especially of the heavier types, and this would be the only thing I believe the restaurant needs to adopt under its current owner.

Can't wait to go back and incredibly happy to see it is as good and better than it used to be. Hobart is lucky to have such a wonderful restaurant with superb food.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

We had booked to visit Monty's on our first night in Hobart. I was really looking forward to our dinner and I was not disappointed. They were very confident handling my requests for gluten free food and presented beautiful food that tasted as good as it looked. The room was warm and comfortable and for the standard I thought the price was fair. An indulgence perhaps, but one I would repeat.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I love this restaurant. It's a simple as that!
I took a short break to Tassie this week and was very keen to make sure I had restaurant experiences that gave me the opportunity to experience the beautiful fresh produce for which the region is well known. I'm pleased to report that Monty's delivered precisely that.
Walking up the hill along Montpellier retreat, I arrived at a well preserved old cottage. I walked in, and was taken into a lovely old room with fireplace, and over to my cosy table for one. I sat down, ordered my drink and my meal, and began to soak up the atmosphere.
When my food arrived, it tasted every bit as great as it looked. The braised cheek of Cape Grim beef was one of the best meals I've had in recent months. The slow-cooked beef fell apart so easily, and its taste was superb. I chose the roast potatoes to accompany my meal. I normally wouldn't mention sides that I order, but these were spectacularly good roast potatoes, their flavour enhanced by a wonderful slightly-spiced tomato jam.
My dessert was the Peanut Butter Mouse, with dark chocolate truffles and bananas, and this was really something. Though, if I could offer some advice, I'd strongly recommend this as a share dessert!
To top it all off, the waitstaff were wonderful and I greatly appreciated their excellent service.
I highly recommend a visit to Monty's if you're in Hobart. It was a hugely memorable dining experience and I will certainly return on my next visit to the city.