“New Owners - perhaps need some time to settle in.”
Review of Hearth

Hearth
Ranked #36 of 617 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Casual family friendly eatery serving pizza and small plates. We have a small boutique wine list and craft beers. Open fires and small intimate rooms make this a special place to dine.
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

As a local I've been to Monty's many times, somehow I missed the fact that Matt & Nat have moved on. On Friday night, Monyts missed them. There were some exciting elements in our food but the service was missing the ease & professionalism evident under Nat's management. One Entree of oysters (as you would expect) & one of scallops, beautifully presented with lots of great flavours but the scallops were not flavoursome at all. Mains of steak (ordered medium rare but was well done) and lamb rump which was lovely. Desserts were absolutely fantastic, beautifully constructed & presented.
Although not up to Monty's usual standard, the food was exciting enough to give it another go perhaps in a few months when the kitchen has settled in more and the service team have the experience to deliver to the standard the prices demand.

1  Thank TassieDevil10108

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just ate at Monty's tonight after googling the trip advisor review to find somewhere to eat in Hobart. Got to say I was impressed with the food. Not massive amounts, but very tasty and reasonably priced. Wine is a bit expensive but you can BYO for $10 corkage. The open fire was very welcome on a cold Hobart night and the service was excellent. I'll be going back!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Thank you Lucy and to your partner who is the chef at Monty's. My wife and I and my sister took my mother to Hobart to see MONA for her 90th birthday. And to see other sights in and around Hobart. Her birthday was 9 May and we were looking for somewhere special to celebrate. Somewhere with a little old fashioned formality but not too much. Lucy and her partner apparently bought Monty's only a couple of months ago having managed and cooked in restaurants in Melbourne, Bermuda and London. They are doing a wonderful job. The food to use a cliche is I guess modern Australian. The restaurant is in an old house just up the way from Salamanca Place. A wonderful ambience. Good space between tables. Open fire going. Well decorated. And tables well presented. Our entrees were Pacific Oysters. Sensational. And black rice crusted scallops. Unusual and delicious. Main courses of braised beef ( my mother seemed happy and not only because she had made 90 ), Porterhouse steak perfectly cooked, and blue eye cod which met with obvious approval. Deserts were unusual and imaginitively served. A collection of sorbets served on an artist's palate, a peanut chocolate mousse ( different and yes delicious ) and two others that escape my memory.
The service was also excellent.
And although there were no heavy drinkers to bump up the price the value was great. $ 312 for four of us.
Lucy I hope it goes well for you both. If our night was any indication you deserve it !!

2  Thank Rob M
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We recently enjoyed a lovely dinner at Monty's. The staff were professional and attentive and the wine list had many Tassie options. We both enjoyed our meals and were particularly keen on the use of local produce. Overall, good food and value. We would go again.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

The new owners have surpassed themselves after only 2 weeks of management. The food was superb, interesting and beautifully presented. It was hard to believe we were not at a top European restaurant. Actually even better as we had fresh Tasmanian produce. Try the pork belly or chicken but make sure you order the fruit sorbets on the artist's palette and follow the waiting staff's advice to order the cheeses early to ensure it is served at the correct temperature. Very cosy atmosphere enhanced by open fires. Congratulations to the chef and the new owners!

1  Thank Rosemary S