“Alright hotel”

Ranked #26 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Melbourne
“Alright hotel”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just back from Hobart for a few days, Stayed in Mantra for 2 nights, a big difference between pic and real life.
PROS:
1) Massive - really massive for just 2 people
2) I have the bigger room so the bed was not close to the windows, I didn't have trouble sleeping at all, in fact i slept really well because the bedding area had no contact with sunlight (my room is in the cnr of Sandy bay and Davey street) , couldn't hear any traffic at all.
3) Laundry facility was a delight
4) Massive kitchen area
5) Receptionist was friendly
6) Hi-Fi, 2 TVs in 1 room
7) Location is good and bad - Good - very close to Salamanca area, very convenient commute by car to highway or anywhere else.

CONS:
1) The building are getting quite outdated, still using key to open all doors, the lift does smell quite mouldy, furnitures in the room are quite old and dirty as well (esp. the couch)
2) Stains on mattress, quilt, toilet, potato chips on the floor hasn't been cleaned
3) The toilet button popped out after a few use..
4) Amenities won't be re-filled while your stay because it's service apartment style.
5) Location is good and bad - Bad - on a busy road, parking is limited and ticket 2P on weekdays, also Davey street is 1 way street, so have to make a few turns if you missed it by mistake
6) Internet is expensive and limited, compared to other places free wifi provided, this is a big disappointment.

Overall, I don't think I will go back there anymore, mainly because it's an old building, I stayed in and prefer St Ives Hotel more.

Room Tip: Don't get the most basic room it may get too noisy by the traffic
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MantraSandyBay, Manager at Mantra One Sandy Bay Road, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Good morning,

Thank you for your detailed review - I know from personal experience that travellers do appreciate reading personal first hand experiences!

Thank you for your 'Pros' comments - I will make sure I pass your compliments on to my team.

With regards to the 'Cons' - I will address a few point by point:
The building -> The building was Hobarts first Automatic Telephone Exchange built in 1926, and converted five years ago into the strata development we see today. The Body Corporate are currently looking in to the replacement of the original lift, as yes it is getting on in age now (still fully functional and safe), but as you can imagine, for a five year old development the replacement cost of this infrastructure is quite significant. We are currently undergoing a soft refurbishement of furniture (including the couch!) which we hope to be completed early next year.

Cleanliness of the rooms -> I will pass your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room on to our housekeeping staff - could you contact me directly at the Hotel just to give me a bit more information regarding the points you raised, and the room number you stayed in so I can fix the toilet button?

Again - thank you for your feedback, and I realise you mentioned you would probably stay at alternative accommodation int eh future, but please do let me know if I can be of any assistance with future requirements by contacting me directly at the Hotel.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Currently staying at the Mantra, and asked Reception for a quiet room, having noticed only too late, that the hotel was positioned on a noisy major road. The pleasant receptionist, smiled and assured me that my room was quiet. I therefore walked away confident of a good night's sleep. While the room itself is really lovely and very spacious, I was indeed given a room overlooking the busy major road and between the late hour of check-in to just before 6am, the noise level was fine. But at approximately 5:50am in the morning I was plucked out of my blissful sleep by horrendous noises of heavy trucks barrelling past outside of my room. So loud that I failed to get back to sleep, hence me writing this review! so much for my sleep in till 8am!

Room Tip: Choose somewhere at the rear of the building away from the traffic.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MantraSandyBay, Manager at Mantra One Sandy Bay Road, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Good morning,

I think I recall speaking to you on your departure, so thank you for taking the time to review Mantra One Sandy Bay Road. I notice that we had extended a discounted hospitality industry rate to you, so I certainly don't need to tell you how much we appreciate constructive feedback, even from our competitors!

As you mentioned to us on checkout, we are an inner city property and that travelling guests should expect a bit of traffic noise during their stay in CBD properties. Having said that, had we received a request at the time of reservation, then we would have of course taken this into account when allocating rooms - which during busy times of year such as this does happen well in advance - and arranged for a quiter one if it was available.

Thank you again, and I do hope you had a pleasent journey home.

Gold Coast
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Mantra One Sandy Bay was an absolute delight thanks to the great location, enormous room size and of course outstanding service from Campbell and his team. The most recent reviews should be discounted if my stay was anything to go by. The room was beyond expectations as it had been impeccably cleaned, all in working order and offered a lovely view of the city skyline. The location was flawless with minutes walk to Salamanca and a stunning park just steps away. I have stayed in other parts of town (Hotels) and found that this property has it all! I would definitely recommend this property for a short or long stay in the beautiful city of Hobart.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Jourdan L
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Good self contained apartment hotel with secure parking at small cost. Good access to Salamanca area. Split level apartment is spacious but a challenge with luggage. Good stay..staff very helpful. wood recommend

Room Tip: Ask for room not overlooking the main road if you want a quiet room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SimJac
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Mantra One was the most expensive and the worst accommodation on our two week trip in Tassie. For $175 we were not expecting The Ritz but expected nice accommodation. Instead we arrived to a bathroom covered in makeup and hair. There was one lovely woman on reception who came up with a mop and bucket at our request. The furniture was sticky, the carpets dirty, the kitchen was filthy and smelt greasy and the bathroom was also dirty.The first night my husband and I didnt sleep a wink in this first floor apartment.The blinds on large windows were not sunblocked, the traffic noise from the intersection near this first floor apartment was constant all night and the lift next to the apartment constantly whirred. The next morning we requested to be moved or we were going to check out. We were moved to a very quiet apartment on the fifth floor and stayed on the next three nights. Again the apartment was filthy but by this stage we were just glad we could sleep after days out in Hobart. Good location but there are so many other places well located in Sandy Bay and Battery Point. Avoid this place and get value for money elsewhere in the area.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Chapster2
MantraSandyBay, Manager at Mantra One Sandy Bay Road, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Good morning,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor - we do appreciate feedback in all its forms. Thank you also for responding to my email requesting some further detail with your clear and constructive points regarding the problems you raised in your review - rest assured I have taken action to avoid this occuring again.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

In Hobart for a conference and workshop... Being here for 6 days and nights. There was almost nothing to choose from ( Booked about a month ago),

An 'Executive Apartment' was all that was available, and although not being what we were after, we took it.

I would not like to see a 'Standard Apartment'. We were issued 2 towels, 1 each, and the paperwork stated that should we require more, there would be a charge.

There is no Housekeeping for the
period, and we must take the Rubbish to the Basement.

We have chipped cups, a toilet with a broken top, NO COFFEE PLUNGER, and 3 teas and instant coffees. A toaster that would have been 5.00 in Woolies and 6 truly lumpy pillows.

The Apartment has a truly cavernously large Sitting Room, and is barely furnished. The bed however is fine, except for the previously mentioned pillows.

There are FOUR coat hangers... For 2 people for 6 days.....

The location is not where we would have chosen, however it is really only a short walk to Salamanca Place etc.

Australia is really the last bastion of poorly equipped Holiday Apartments.

Tasmania is booked out... A Science Congress in the school holidays is not fun.

Room Tip: I am not sure whether there are better rooms...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sandra B
Good morning,
Thank you for taking the time to review Mantra One Sandy Bay Road.
I'm sorry that it was only negative things you had to say about the property. We do operate as serviced apartments, and as such to keep costs affordable offer complimentary services if you stay for 7 nights or more. If you do feel like additional items in the meantime we are able to supply them, or a full service if you like (at an extra cost) - or alternatively can provide directions to local convinience stores if you would prefer to source items yourselves.
Regrettably also we don't stock coffee plungers, merely as we do not provide ground coffee in our tea & coffee service.
I assume you took the time also to mention these items during your stay to our reception staff and I am sure they were able to easily rectify your concerns.
Please do feel free to contact me directly if you are returning to Hobart to arrange any accommodation.

Hobart
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This hotel was a pleasure to stay at with amazing staff and good rooms, you really can't ask for anything more.

The rooms have a bedroom, with a King bed that can be split into two single beds. There is a bathroom which is closed off and offers a relaxing experience with normal shower and basin with also a washing machine/dryer. The rooms have a kitchenette as part of them, which is perfect for when you are on holidays for a week or so, just enough to do some basic cooking and yet still the enjoyment of being away. The dining table is an added bonus, you don't often get to go away and have a table, which makes eating meals in or doing work on the laptop easy and more relaxing. The loungerooms are massive, you could seriously have a dance in one of these rooms or entertain children in them. The only downfall is the extremely expensive internet, it will set you back between $18 for 12 hours or $50 for a week, ouch.

Whilst there is no restaurant on site, it was walking distance to Salamaca Square (just 2-5mins down the hill through the park), where there are heaps of restaurants, cafes, even a little local supermarket called Fresh. It also walking distance to the city area, where Next Door is a great place for breakfast and is just a 5minute walk away.

Don't expect room service, or the little extras of a resort, this hotel is a beautiful old historically listed building which has amazingly spacious rooms in order to chill and checkout Hobart. You wont find rooms this size elsewhere in Hobart.

Room Tip: If you have a request, be it a quiet room, comfy bed or a room with a view, they are more than accom...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple