“Delicious food, comfy experience”

Vanidol's Asian Cuisine
Ranked #184 of 596 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Indian, Indonesian, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Delicious food, comfy experience”
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Tonight we visited Vanidol's in their recently opened south hobart restaurant. I was a little wary, have had a bad experience at the North Hobart restaurant a couple of years ago.
Do yourself a favour and get the entree platter if possible. It was supurb with a tasting of many of the other entrees. I particularly enjoyed th Satay Gai. Mains was the $45 pp banquet and everything was absolutely delicious. a couple of dishes were a little spicy for my liking, but didn't stop me eating them, My two picks here were the Pla Pad Nam Prik Pow and Gai Pad Met Mamuang.
Dessert was banana fritters with ice cream and I was surprised to find it to sliced bananas each piece battered, but this was still exceptionally tasty.
I will definitely go back again to enjoy some of the tastes I got from the banquet in their a-la carte menu.

Visited April 2013

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Mixed quality food.”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We tried this firstly as it was early and BYO. There was a quality seafood special entree to die for and a yummy Balinese chicken dish to follow. My partner had seconds on the roti which he declared to be the best ever. I agreed. On the strength of our first dinner we went back only to be disappointed. I had a noodle soup dish which had lovely stock but not much else with flavor. My partner had a beef stir fry which was also unremarkable. I must comment that the young male waiter was excellent regardless of how busy the place was. He always noticed when you wanted his attention and was prompt, polite and very helpful. Consistency with the dishes is the missing ingredient.

3 Thank Jenny H
tasmania
“Very disapointed”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have been frequenting Vanidol's on dozens of occasions over the last 5 years but something has gone wrong. I placed a booking via phone 2 weeks out from the date required in their voicemail, after hearing nothing back from them with regard to a confirmation of the booking for several days I called again and they informed me the booking was noted and confirmed this, splendid. I called again 2 days prior to the date requested to increase the table number by 2 pax and was advised that this was fine, excellent.

I called again on the night of the booking to further increase the booking number by 1 pax and was informed they had no record of my booking and was informed by one of their service staff (who could not hear what I was saying at all nor understand what I was saying, the staff member did not speak very much english and after about 30 minutes spent on phone calls back and forth to 2 different people, the booking was finally sorted out) we all arrived at the booking time of 7pm and the service was not up to it's usual fantastic standard it took about 1 hour to receive our entrees and the mains were about 20 minutes after we had completed the entree, the meals were below averave and some of the old favorite dishes that we usually order and always enjoy on every occasion were well below par and could not even be finished.

When comments were made to the wait staff to pass onto the kitchen regarding the less than average food standard that we have enjoyed there for a very long time we were just palmed off and the waiter said thank you have a good night. He clearly did not understand what we were talking about.

Maybe the normal chef/owner Van had the night off but given it was a busy Saturday night it's no excuse for poor customer service on several occasions. I honestly hope that this was just a small hiccup as I love this restaurant but if it doesn't improve I won't be back.

2 Thank yabbie67
Hobart, Australia
“Don't go there”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Booked a group of 5, for a banquet, 10 days ahead. Seated at a 4 person booth with the fifth person sitting at the end of the booth in the main thoroughfare. There was no room for the fifth plateon the table & even with 4 people it was difficult to fit all the dishes on the table. Very early on we asked to move - no they couldn't move us, even though there were a couple of bigger tables that were half full or empty. Staff were less than helpful. Only after we complained did they reduced the bill by $40 as the fifth person was unable to eat, just had to sit there. The food was very average - fish over cooked, other dishes apart from the chicken had very little flavour, just chilli heat.. Also the entree plate included two sauces and a salad. No serving spoons so we all had to "double dip". Wouldn't recommend this restaurant at all.

Hobart, Australia
“Always consistently good food!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We usually go to Vanidol's not long before they close of an evening as I finish work late. The staff are always helpful, and the food is just great! If we can't eat in, we get takeaway, usually Laksa, or one of the specials for the evening. Their food is consistently good, and the restaurant is normally full even late in the evening. So, bookings required! Highly recommended!

• Visited February 2013