“My fav place in Hobart”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 6, 2013

For the time I lived in Hobart, where I lived had to be in easy walking distance to the Retro. Over the years it was my breakfast place and my after work coffee place. Saturday morning when the Market was operating I had to give up if I was not there when it opened. The staff were personable, accommodating and definitely "retro." Food was great and the coffee better. It may be years before I get back to Tassie but one of my first stops will be the Retro!

The date below doesn't accommodate stays of many months over many years so ignore whatever date shows up! At least 10 years from 1996 to 2010 and were solo, family (when they were in Hobart) and business. My favourite seats were in the front window with coffee and the newspaper! - Chris Poulson now in San Diego

There are newer reviews for Retro Cafe

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We popped in for a light lunch and were thrilled with this lovely cafe. Our meals were huge and absolutely delicious .. my husband had a pear soup - which mystified us but was in fact fantastic. The coffees were also delicious and the prices very reasonable.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Coffee was good but when Lynn asked for scrambled eggs without being cooked in butter, the problems started. They cooked them using the coffee steamer and the eggs came out looking colourless and watery - they went back half eaten and when we said to the inexperienced waitress that they were pretty awful, she just said with a touch of sarcasm "that's excellent, I'll tell the chef". She obviously hadn't spent much time in hospitality and couldn't tell the difference between good and bad.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We went for a late breakfast Salmon and poached egg bagel was on the specials menu and delicious! Very nice atmosphere. It was really crowded, so we did have to wait a while-but its New years eve, so I guess that needed to be expected..

Reviewed December 28, 2012

It doesn't look much, but the small cafe makes up in tasty food and down to earth service. We had the mixed platter for a light lunch, and this was very morish. Can get a bit cramped and noisy when the place is full but overall, reasonable prices and tasty food made this lunch experience worthwhile.