“well, yes and no...”

Green Jade Restaurant
Ranked #394 of 633 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I only wanted to go here for the kitsch and novelty value. I think they mainly operate as a take away, I'm not sure if people eat there much but it was empty at 6pm on a Saturday night when I went there. I wanted to leave when I got there and I didn't think to ask to see a menu and then excuse myself. The lovely lady who came out to greet me was very friendly, so I felt embarrassed to leave and stayed there reluctantly, thinking it'd be pretty dodgy, and it was. The decor was really cool though, straight out of 1976-1985 and well-preserved. I kind of romanticise those innocent days of restaurant dining, to which there was a sort of conviviality, I feel the love in it and as such it was very sad and melancholy as I observed the deserted, abandoned love of a long-forgotten, bygone era. The food however, gave no room for such nostalgia and was a bit of a shambolic mess of inadequate care. I was actually looking forward to a simple and tasty dish, maybe unremarkable but pleasant, but saddened to say it had some hideous elements. Um, half-cooked packet beans past their use-by date and borderline off meat. I didn't get sick but my stomach felt uneasy afterwards. I had the ginger beef which I thought'd be interesting and when you could actually taste the ginger sauce, it was delicious, but there needed to be a little more of it. These are Chinese people cooking their own food in 2013, it shouldn't be this sub-par, and it'd be easy to do a lot better and make some use of the fun, campy decor. As there are plenty of good Asian places dotted along Elizabeth St., well, I don't know how they stay in business. Shame because if the host/owner was anything to go by, they're really lovely people. Surreal.

5  Thank HadenY17

Reviewed December 6, 2011

We wanted to dine at Me Wah for dinner, but for some reason, it was closed. So we tried Dragon Palace instead.

At first, we thought that it was closed, but it wasn't... there was just no customers... except us.

The food was tasty and the price was reasonable, so it was good value. We had the entire restaurant to ourselves.

The decor was very old... not much ambience, but we were there for the Chinese food only anyway.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed April 21, 2008

A lovely place. i come here when I want to visit a quiet place. They do the sweet and sour best.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook