“Exceptional”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This has to be in the very top few restaurants in Tasmania. The food is exceptional, the environment intimate, the wine list exhaustive, the service memorable and amazingly the final account very reasonable.

There are newer reviews for Remi de Provence

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We spent a delightful night here with a reservation for 6. The service was great and food was delightful. It was lovely to go to a restaurant that is not too noisy where we could participate in conversation across the entire table. The wine list was extensive and our wine waiter gave us excellent recommendations. I agree with another reviewer on the slight lack of ambiance, however the food and service more than made up for this. It is a shame we don't live in Hobart so we could return often to this gem of a restaurant.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We recently dined at a few restaurant around Hobart and found this one the best. I was travelling in a party of 6 and with Remi de Provence we found we could all talk to one and other easily without shouting. The food was all excellent. Perhaps not on the cutting edge of French cuisine but after a disastrous following night at a trendy restaurant we were grateful for well known dishes cooked perfectly. Apart from the food the waiting staff were fantastic. Wines were suggested by a very knowledgeable waiter from the nappa valley. He even brought complimentary sticky wines to our table when we unexpectedly ordered a chocolate dessert. He was concerned our dessert wine choice might clash with our chocolate.
It was a great night out for a special family occasion.

Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Food just isn't that great. My hubby had pork and I had lamb but they both tasted exactly the same!? Yes, they were slow cooked and tender but what that translates to is that they tasted like they'd been left in a slow cooker all day and were mushy. I thought I can do the same thing when I'm working all day and throw a bit of meat in a slow cooker as an easy dinner for the night. Anyone who thinks the food here is nice is just trying to put on a pretentious air, really it was nursing home food.

2  Thank Cathmch
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I reserved a table here by mistake. I had meant to book Le Provencal. Nevertheless it was good food and excellent service. The prices were also very reasonable for the quality of the food. I ordered the sweetbreads which were delicious however my husband was very mystified by the fact that with his wonderful mushroom pie, he was served mushrooms as an accompaniment!

Despite the excellent and attentive service, there was a problem with the ambience. There were no windows in the restaurant and was very square and plain. It lacked character. I would have enjoyed it much more had it been in different premises. We caught a taxi there from the Grand Chancellor Hotel but it's possible to walk back as it's downhill and pleasant on a warm night.

1  Thank Canberra_Traveller