“Overrated, very average meal”
Review of Remi de Provence - CLOSED

Remi de Provence
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Food just isn't that great. My hubby had pork and I had lamb but they both tasted exactly the same!? Yes, they were slow cooked and tender but what that translates to is that they tasted like they'd been left in a slow cooker all day and were mushy. I thought I can do the same thing when I'm working all day and throw a bit of meat in a slow cooker as an easy dinner for the night. Anyone who thinks the food here is nice is just trying to put on a pretentious air, really it was nursing home food.

2  Thank Cathmch

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I reserved a table here by mistake. I had meant to book Le Provencal. Nevertheless it was good food and excellent service. The prices were also very reasonable for the quality of the food. I ordered the sweetbreads which were delicious however my husband was very mystified by the fact that with his wonderful mushroom pie, he was served mushrooms as an accompaniment!

Despite the excellent and attentive service, there was a problem with the ambience. There were no windows in the restaurant and was very square and plain. It lacked character. I would have enjoyed it much more had it been in different premises. We caught a taxi there from the Grand Chancellor Hotel but it's possible to walk back as it's downhill and pleasant on a warm night.

1  Thank TheDoor_isopen
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is an interesting dining experience, the restaurant is entered through the wine shop and up the stairs. There is a great selection of wine and the food is good. Very good service.

1  Thank Aussieuks
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Booked on a Tuesday night, and was so pleasantly surprised. The restaurant wasn’t a walking distance from the centre of Hobart, particularly in the rain, but only 5 minutes in the car. A ‘find’!
The hospitality was exceptional, the wine list spectacular, the restaurant was like walking into a subterranean wine cellar, [but not, only felt so] and therefore the expectation was delightfully enhanced with the wonderful dinner that followed. This is a non-pretensious really good French restaurant in a place so far from France. The chef, waiter/owner were wonderfully hospitable and knowledgable about the food and wine. We had a great evening, met some extraordinary guests, but most surprisingly this wonderful find, in Hobart, gave great food, a wide ranging wine list and was a delightful surprise to our dining in Hobart. Do give this restaurant a ‘go’ and like us be so happily surprised. For me, the ‘coq au vin’, and this was the real deal, for my husband ‘duck’ deliciously anticipated, and no disappointment. Not to be missed whilst in Hobart.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We ate there twice within 8 days, first with a group and the as a couple. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable. The restaurant boasts an extensive and high quality wine list of Tasmanian, mainland and French wines. The menu changed between visits and provided interesting choices. We had a raw tuna entree, beetroot soufflé, scallops and a great dessert titled gin and tonic. Highly recommended.