“A reasonable option if you don't want to dine outside the hotel”

Embers Bar Pizza Grill
Ranked #188 of 604 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Pizza, Australian, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Embers Bar Pizza Grill offers relaxed casual dining in the Hobart CBD. Boasting a large wood fire oven, charcoal grill and a modern Australian menu, Embers is open for a buffet breakfast, a la carte lunch and a la carte dinner every day of the year. Daily Happy hour in Embers bar and live music is on offer on Friday evenings. Embers traditional and gourmet wood fire pizza is also available to take away.
Googong NSW
“A reasonable option if you don't want to dine outside the hotel”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Good service. Food nicely presented and fair value for money. My duck was dry and overcooked: the waitress said "Oh, sorry" when I was asked for my satisfaction with the meal. Pate was yummy; Tasmanian wines good.

Visited October 2013
Lucas B, Manager at Embers Bar Pizza Grill, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thanks for reviewing our restaurant, I've shared your comments with our Exec Chef, his team and the front of house staff. It's great to hear you liked the pate and the selection of local wines. I'm sure you tried the Tassie Pinot? It's delicious. Chef will have another look at the duck dish to see what improvements can be made, thanks again for letting us know. We're getting pretty excited here at the moment as we will be refurbishing our restaurant and installing a woodfire pizza oven and grill. Fun times ahead, I hope you can come back next time and try it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely breakfast”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The breakfast was buffet which normally i dont like but Embers breakfast was really good. Most times I when i have poached eggs they would be dry but at Embers they were cooked perfectly. It was a nice selection of hot and cold foods.

Visited June 2013
sydney
“Good Autumn special”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I've had the luck of living in the hotel the last 3 months (the things we do for work) and have made a point of not really eating here, as I'm a foodie...so was I ever surprised when I did have dinner here. A new chef has started in the last month and since then I've eaten here 6 times with good experiences each time.

So, lets start with the staff. Professional, friendly, courteous and always a pleasure to be assisted by and willing to help however they can.

The current Autumn special is also $40 for any two courses on the menu or $46 for 3 courses...and yes it really is a fantastic deal, particularly if you like fresh fish or grass fed fillet cooked perfectly medium rare (please don't kill the fillet and order it well done). The soups are also full of taste and depth...and this is coming from someone who is not really a soup person.

If you are a vegetarian, the menu is ok, but not brilliant.
The ambiance is so and so, not really a place for an amazing atmosphere. I say this as I find often the main clientele are somewhat older and or workers living out of the hotel like me. Please note I'm not saying it is a bad atmosphere, its just a neutral one...not a place you'd go for the buzz, but rather a quiet meal with good fine and a nice wine selection.

The reason I have given it 5 stars and not 4 is that when something wasn't right once, the issue was resolved quickly with a positive attitude of getting it right and consideration to what the customer needed.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank serendipitysydney
“Disappointing Meal”
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

We recently had tea at this restaurant, it was somewhat disappointing! The menu was quite expensive, price of the eye fillet was as expensive as a fine dining restaurant but so far off on quality. For entree we wanted to know what the dips were with the bread, the waiter was unsure, we ordered anyway! (was supposed to be dips and olives with bread) when it arrived at the table it was butter and bread- the bread was quite dry but oily at the same time. When another table got theirs they had dips with olives? Not sure how ours came out wrong when there was only one bread option on the entree menu. We then received our mains, the side of chips had never been ordered so we had to wait extra for that once we notified them... Our eye fillets were cooked perfectly, although the steak was so tough, my piece I could not eat half of it as it had a large bit of stuff on the bottom that my knife would not even go through. Would not dine here again!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Cilla17
Melbourne
“Hit and Miss”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Like a previous reviewer I would also have to echo the fact that this is a somewhat hit and miss restaurant. They price their meals highly, although the quality is not always there.

There were two of us eating and the menu is very limited. They had an autumn offer of two courses for $40. I had the soup of the day, which had a nice flavour but someone had been heavy handed with the cayenne pepper. When asking about the spice the waitress kindly followed up and she said the chef indicated it was a small pinch, obviously very large fingers.

We watched others attempting to order but struggling with the limited menu. Whilst I had the lamb rump braise, it was tasty but not appealing to look at. Considering it was a braise the lamb looked quite dry in places. It was tasty to eat though. My wife had the risotto. It was very bland, and seemed to be compensated in quantity by hiding it under a large quantity of Parmesan.

There was quite a wait between the entree and the mains, with other tables who had ordered after us receiving their meals befo we did.

As mentioned in previous reviews the waitress was very helpful. We had chosen this restaurant due to the fact it had a pizza oven. We saw straight away that this was not operating, but I would agree with other reviewers, fire the pizza oven back up and give the customers some variety.

On top of a mediocre meal and a lengthy wait for our main meal we were then told that we would have to pay a 1.5% credit card levy. Surely Mercure are a large enough organisation to absorb this charge.

The decor is seriously dated and strangely everything is served in the same type of bowl, even the steaks.

Overall I would recommend looking elsewhere for a meal.

• Visited April 2013