“Average food, but great service!”
Review of Drunken Admiral

Drunken Admiral
Ranked #33 of 643 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: One of Hobart's iconic restaurants and is popular with both locals and visitors to Hobart alike. We are a family run restaurant and we have been operating since 1979 offering the diner a truly unique experience and very fresh and tasty Tassie seafood and meals. The restaurant is world renowned, features in many global travel guides and is always popular – so reservations are advised! Open 7 days a week with parking out front.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My parents, partner and I dined at the Drunken Admiral during May 2013.

I had heard rave reviews before dining there, so expected something spectacular. However, after having a meal there I have to say, I was a little underwhelmed...

Firstly I would say please book if you are planning on going there, it was so busy when we got there and people were being turned away.

Overall, the meal really missed the mark. I had a steak (I know- poor form in a seafood resturant!) which was cooked lovely however the side of mash wasnt the best.

The seafood my partner had was deep fried, something you could get for a lot cheaper at a takeaway shop (you come out smelling like one to be honest). My mum had the chowder which was absolutely huge and she didnt get through it all (but she said it was lovely). Oysters were average (have had better)... and points off for the menu. It really doesnt offer a lot of variety and it feels a bit dated.

The chocolate fudge cake dessert was the highlight of the night.

On the plus side- decor was interesting and a talking point. Staff were also lovely the night we dined there. Young waitress' who were really polite and friendly.

Another negative is that tables were VERY close together, couples- please don't go there if you are expecting a romantic dinner for two.

We dined at so many different places in Hobart over our week stay that I would go so far as to say there are much much better places to eat in Hobart, for the price and food quality especially.

2  Thank Casey H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,134)

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We walked in without a booking on a Sun night for 2 and were greeted promptly and professionally and was seated in a quiet section of the pub. We ordered the seafood platter for 2 and enjoyed a local Tassie sav blanc to boot. We took our time picking through our wonderful fresh seafood and didnt feel rushed to leave even though we were the last of a few tables left dining and chatting in this cozy environment! Def a must on ur next visit to Hobart x

1  Thank SabKeef
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We came in for a meal. No booking. As we entered the establishment, we stood at the counter(?) as about 5 waitresses saw us and then ignored us. Finally, one waitress asked if she could help. We mentioned we would like to have a meal, she asked us if we had a booking. We said no so she basically rolled her eyes and said it would be 45 min wait.

Both my partner and I have been in the hospitality game for a wee while and could understand the waitress may have felt "overwhelmed" but to openly roll your eyes and give such attitude was amazing. Unfortunately, the rest of the night was pretty much of the same. Very indifferent service for some very pricy average food.

The place was busy so maybe we were just unlucky...

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Food is ok, always nicely presented. It's average now though. About 10 years ago it was unique, and it hasn't changed. But all the other restaurants have raised the bar. The Drunken Admiral has stayed in the past. The place also stinks. I had a freshly dry cleaned jacket on of which now smells of pots and pans. Not good guys, you have to keep up with the Jones's and do something different. Expensive prices for an average experience.
I'll come back when there's something new to experience and the place has been spring cleaned!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have dined at this Hobart institution many times over the years and not once have I been disappointed in my meal choice. My latest dinner there was without doubt the best - and I would go as far as saying the best meal I have had - period! It was a huge (too big really but I am a piglet and ate the lot) bowl of smokey seafood stew. Actually it was more seafood with some stew - the bowl was jam packed with prawns and plump juicy scallops in a rich smokey broth - ah I am salivating just thinking about it..... If you visit Hobart do yourself a favour and dine here, it's in a fantastic wharf side location and the building is full of quirky fun nautical themes.