“a happy discovery”

Criterion St Cafe
Ranked #7 of 40 Coffee & Tea in Hobart
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a happy discovery”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Food and coffee were delicious. A cool little cafe on a side-street in the city.

We were walking past and decided to go in for a coffee before we left for the airport. But the food looked and smelt so good that we had a quick bite to eat.

The cinnamon salted caramel waffles were delicious as was the unusual savoury french toast.

My new favourite cafe in Hobart.

Visited June 2014

Brisbane, Australia
“Quick, very friendly staff and great breakfast”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

My boyfriend and I visited for brunch last week and were very impressed with the meal and the quick and friendly service - a lovely way to end a holiday.

We were bemused at the difficulty in finding a cafe open before 8am on a Saturday morning in Hobart, so when we did find Criterion St Cafe I asked how long the breakfast would take as we were heading to the airport. The coffees were out in a few minutes and the meals within ten - fantastic!

Visited May 2014
Hobart, Australia
“Regulars are customers too?”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

A return to an old haunt - sadly not as great - it wasn't particularly busy and I was only in for a quick coffee. I sat own in the corner while staff chatted to someone sitting at a bar stool and waited ... grabbed the paper and read it ... and waited. It was obvious while the conversation was going on there was no service. So got up and abruptly ordered, I felt I may have been rude but thought being ignored was as rude. The coffee duly came with a thump onto the table. I am aware that the café has regulars or (old) staff who may feel they have a claim on the staffs time but I think it would be good to be aware of customers moving through - who may or not be regulars also. Still a great café - and will always be one of those originals like Machine and Retro that stand the test of time.

• Visited May 2014
Bergen, Norway
“Bio, delicious and cosy”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Being in Hobart for a week, I had googgled to find places with bio food. The criterion was one of them. I was not disappointed. The cafe is located in a smaller street, close the busy ones but quiet. The first impression coming in is of a cafe with a simple, relax and agreeable atmosphere (bright colors, somewhat possible to see the cook, menus on the walls). There are a few tables outside, but several inside both on ground and first floors (with restroom facilities). The food was great (for ex. eggs on delicious large bread slices with avocado, tomato....everything you want, you can choose!, fresh lemonade, yoghurt with fresh berries, mint, honing and walnuts - delicious, we haven't stop make it again at home since!). The service is nice, relax --in a good way, welcoming. We went there three times in a week, and they asked us if we had moved to Hobart:-). We could have moved just to have such cafe to go to if we could;-)

• Visited June 2013
“Sensational lunch”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I'd walked past here many times and it always seemed popular. Finally had a chance to call in for lunch, but only had 40 mins. I was greeted straight away and asked to take a seat. Only a short wait later a staff member came over with a menu and took my drink order. A short time after that my FABULOUS Bloody Mary arrived and my food order was taken. It arrived in a good time ( a lamb sandwich with haloumi), and was absolutely delicious. All in all a great all round experience: friendly and prompt service, great food and a bloody good Bloody Mary. I'll make a bigger effort to get back there on a regular occurrence in the future.

• Visited April 2014