“Ordinary”

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 2, 2010

Ate here on a Tuesday night, so pretty quiet. Waitress took our orders, we received our mains before entrees. Mains were returned to kitchen with apologies. Entrees came, no problem, then mains followed. I have a belief that our mains were not re-cooked. Steak was very dry, potatoes looked as if they had been cooked and then sat in a bay-marine for a long time and the salad was not a pretty sight. Complained but got no response. What a joke.

Reviewed November 5, 2010

The food here was quite average and the steak wasn't very good. Even though the place seemed quite popular I'm not sure why.

Reviewed October 28, 2010

I chose the Ball and Chain as it was the only restaurant in Hobart where I could have my choice of steak without having potato automatically on the plate. We arrived about 6.30 and were meeting friends who didn't arrive until 7.30, we'd been warned that they get very busy on a Saturday night (no bookings) so chose to go straight to our table and order drinks, big mistake, an hour later we still didn't have the drinks we had ordered by this time twice or any water, seemed to be plenty of staff and because it was a long weekend they didn't seem that rushed. Friends arrived and we ordered drinks for the third time and hit the salad bar as we were also starving by this time as well. We all ordered steaks and when they finally arrived they were superb, cooked exactly how we had asked. I had the large eye fillet and would have liked a bit more sauce as there was very little in comparison to the size of the steak. The salad bar was good, we were all too full after the steaks to contemplate dessert, the bill was very reasonable (compared to Sydney prices) probably because we didn't have much to drink. So yes I would go back as the steak was great but I wouldn't go back thirsty.

Reviewed October 24, 2010

I went here for Sunday lunch in October 2010, there weren't a lot of people in the restaurant as its more popular for dinner but lunch was fantastic. Four of us had four different steaks with different sauces and different methods of cooking, from well done to medium rare. They were all perfect. Can't wait to go again.

Reviewed September 2, 2010

We wandered into Bar & Grill on our last night in Hobart after walking past and liking the sound of their menu... once inside the beautiful old building we realised how massive the restaurant is, and how busy it was on a Monday night. We only had to wait for about 3 mins for a seat (while having a drink by the bar), and it the amount of people there wasn't overwhelming - the restaurant is divided into different sections, and it all resulted in a warm, happy hum and atmosphere.

The prices are about $20 - $35 for mains, which includes a fantastic salad bar. I paid about $20 for a veggie frittata and was so full I couldn't finish my meal. Scott paid about $30 - $35 for a pork steak, which he declared was his favourite meal (narrowly beating the pork belly at Squire's Bounty up the road) of the holiday. Mum paid about the same for a eye fillet steak which she said melted in her mouth.

We had great choice of drinks (Hoegarden and heaps of other beers, as well as wines) and the package overall was just fantastic. It's the pricey end of the scale, but cheaper than other places we saw / tried, and far and away better than the other pricey restaurant we tried (Mures). A big thumbs up!