“I don't know why people don't like it”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Pickled Frog

The Pickled Frog
Ranked #10 of 52 Specialty Lodging in Hobart
Launceston, Australia
“I don't know why people don't like it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed here last night out of necessity, as we had to attend a function that coincided with the busiest weekend of the year and everywhere else (that wasn't $400) was fully booked. After reading reviews I was prepared for the worst (I even packed my own sheet just in case) We had a private double with shared bathroom and it was fine, was it basic...yes it's a backpackers, but it had comfy bed with clean bedding, a sink with cold water, a large window that opened, a mirror and a small chest of drawers, it didn't smell and it wasn't dirty and neither were the bathrooms they were fine. I was prepared for noise, the usual music, partying and door slamming....didn't hear a thing (although this is not a guarantee that you will get the same peace and quite as it really does depend on who else is staying there) which surprised me as they were booked solid. Yes it's old, the floors are uneven, the walls are painted with art, the building is a bit of a maze, is it an issue....not at all. The staff were friendly, the bar prices were cheap and honestly I have paid heaps more for average accommodation in Hobart that wasn't even marketed as a backpackers. We even scored free parking out the back (although spots are limited) which in central Hobart is rare. Sure there are amazing, cheap modern backpackers around the globe but this is Tassie and we just don't have them. Would I stay here again, yep anytime.
If you are after a good cheap pub meal head just down the road for $10 bar meals at Shamrocks pub.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank taschick
Frogteam, Manager at The Pickled Frog, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hey there!

I was trying to work out how on earth i could possibly respond to the reviews that were put up prior to yours both politely and effectively and low and behold you have done it for me.

We fully understand that we can't please everyone as hard as we might try and really appreciate it when we receive positive feedback (far too much negativity on the world wide web these days).

Anyway we just wanted to thank you for choosing to stay with us and how happy we are that you had a good time.

A big big thank you from all of us for your wonderful words..

If you're ever back in Hobart you know where to find us and there's a free beer or a coffee on the house.

Big Cheers

Emma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

My partner and I were appalled within minutes of checking into this hostel. The rooms were filthy, dingy and smelt of cigarette smoke. We had booked for two nights and could not bring ourselves to stay even one night. My partner politely asked if we could have some refund at least for the second night but for the $160 we had paid, were only given $10 back. Generally we love staying at backpackers all around this country and abroad, but have never seen a more disgusting excuse for accommodation. Pickled frog we hope you enjoy our hard earned money, unimpressed.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank CathTas
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Only positive -This hostel has a bar - which is fine (but honestly - I hope you leave your hostel - you're there to experience the place!!!) I wanted to meet people but also sleep so I booked a private room there. It was such a dirty disgusting place. The basin in my room was yellow. (I thought it might be a stain - but a baby wipe cleaned a corner of it - it was just DIRTY). Dirty - cobwebs on the ceiling. Carpets in lounge - must have been a bar before. I'd die before I picked food off it. Kitchen a disaster zone! It was so loud as well. Crazy noise till 2am - then some chick put on the blaring radio in the bathroom at 7am - and left door open. My room didn't have a proper door - it was an outdoor door with a sheet over it as a curtain - so the light came through all night. Internet doesn't reach to your room so you have to use it from the lobby. Don't stay here - stay at Montgomerys YHA. So nice. Incomparable to this pigsty.

Room Tip: ??? I was near the bathroom. Maybe steer clear of there.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Brilliantb22
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Rooms are dirty. Looks like the mattress protectors haven't been washed in years. It's not worth the money you pay!
However, the staff are very helpful and they do have a free tour to Mt Wellington on Monday and Thursdays.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Trusty3112
Rod7313, Owner at The Pickled Frog, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Trusty

In anything you ever do in life, where ever it is, whatever it is, if you are not having the experience you desire, COMMUNICATE. You will find that everything becomes a lot easier.
There is not a business around that would not like to hear your issues WHILE THEY CAN DO SOMETHING TO FIX THEM. Whining and whinging after the fact does nothing to help anybody.

I write this not just to you, but to anyone who thinks review writing is a worthwhile cause. If you, Trusty, had come to reception and voiced your concerns we could have fixed your issues in less than 1 minute. No business wants to run poorly or wants their customers to have a bad experience. Likewise, no business will get it 100% right every time.

I am sorry your experience was not a good one and if it was possible I would like to make it up to you...but you said nothing when you were here so I cant. No winners here today. So what was the value of your review?

Communicate, communicate, communicate. Then we'd have both been winners. Just a different perspective for the reviewer world to think about.
Bedford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Turned up on the day and the guy on reception was really helpful and booked us in for 1 night in a private double - $67. He was really knowledgeable on Tasmania. The room was OK, it had a bed and a sink. The bathrooms were clean but the showers were cold - both in the evening and the morning which wasn't so good. There is free parking. Didn't make use of the common areas or the kitchen but they looked OK. The hall ways were painted with different patterns etc which was nice. The location was also good and could get around on foot. I could see they offered trips and had a board with cheap deals for the day which was also good!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Natasha K
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Cold showers, dirty room, grotty pillows, dusty social spaces - not sure why Hobart can't produce a good hostel! On the positives, there was free internet access, the staff were friendly, the sheets were clean, there was free parking, its in town and the bar was convenient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bkotago
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Fantastic hostel! Such a unique and awesome place.
Was so great to stay at hostel where the people working there are genuinely proud of the place and a make a conscious effort to not only continue to improve the place but make sure everyone is happy and taken care of.
Rod, Jimmy and Emma are some of the kindest hostel owners you will ever come across. Have done a great job with what is clearly an older building and have made it a cool, funky homely hang out where punters can relax in the friendly ambience that is the Pickled Frog.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business