“I wish I'd seen these reviews before I booked to stay there”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hobart
Bath Street Apartments of Battery Point
Ranked #47 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Hobart
Reviewed August 29, 2009

We specifically booked a place that advertised good heating as we knew that Hobart would be cold in Winter.

Unfortunately, the advertised underfloor heating was not working and the manager would not even get someone to come to look at it. When I called him to report the problem and try to find out if there was some power switch I'd missed he told us to use the thermostats (which we'd already done), he then made excuses about the heating being 'off-peak' and when I said that it wasn't coming on at all (day or night) and asked whether he could get someone in to look at the problem, he hung up on me . Consequently, we were left with with cold, hard tiled floors for several nights in the middle of Winter when we had expected to be warm.

He says that he has since had the heating fixed (there was a problem).

The rest of the apartment was lovely, but the manager's rude, unhelpful attitude alone would stop me from staying there again or recommending it to others.

The manager has also deleted the similar review I placed on the website from which I booked the property so that only positive reviews are shown - I consider this to be a very deceptive practice.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Sonia W
There are newer reviews for Bath Street Apartments of Battery Point

Reviewed August 12, 2009

I had already booked and paid for the accommodation being a one night stay 10/08/09 in the 1 bedroom luxury apartment before i read the reviews some of which concerned me, I need not have feared I can honestly say that the host was a very pleasant man who greeted us with a smile and advised us to just ask if there was anything we may need. The views were spectacular, the accommodation very clean and well supplied we all had a brilliant time and could not find fault with anything, we travelled with oour 11 yr old, the wireless internet was a breeze to use, we travel to Hobart regularly and now that we have found this place we will be staying here again it was like a home away from home.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2009

We were a bit concerned having booked at Bath St Apartments before reading the reviews on TripAdvisor, however we need not have been. We arrived to find the apartment clean and well equipped. The bedrooms were both a good size with nice beds and there were lots of towels for use during our stay. The kitchen was well equipped with all the appliances that you could think of and plenty of basic supplies like kitchen towels, glad wrap, washing up tablets etc. The bathroom is small but was fine for two couples for a long weekend and the floorboards in the apartment above ours were noisy (this would be easily solved with carpeting) but these two things did not detract from a lovely weekend. The two outstanding features were the great location (within walking distance of Salamanca Market) and the lovely view from the balcony where we sat and enjoyed our breakfast each morning.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2008

If there is an owner/manager we never saw one. Upon arrival we finally managed to find the office around the back however after ringing the bell as advised we were not answered. Finally after calling out hello the cleaner arrived and let us in. We found the rooms clean however all the towels and linen smelt of cigarette smoke courtesy of the cleaner (we even found a cigarette packet in our unit) We were unable to work out how to establish an internet connection after asking the cleaner she advised us she did not know how to connect and proceeded to go out the back and call out to the owner who told her we didnt need a modem. We still could not work out how to connect and not once did the owner try to talk to us direct or come in to help us , in fact he never once came near us. I am surprised to discover after reading other reviews that he lives on site as on our last night of stay we had some loud mouth idiots partying in the room next to us with loud music up until 1am and he never appeared even though the website says that parties will not be tolerated. On the last day when we checked out we rang the owner and asked to pay via cash not credit card - we assumed he would come in and collect payment however we were told to leave the money and keys on the table. Very Trusting or just too lazy (the later i think) too bad if we wanted a receipt.
As you can imagine we would not stay here again. We do realise that it is self contained and not serviced but considering the manager lives on site common courtesy should prevail. Not the ideal person to be in hospitality business. Parking is also not available unless you want to park on the street or on a steep concrete slope barely wide enough for the car and you have to also be prepared to reverse down this to get out. Hopefully without going off the edge.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Beautifuleveryday
Reviewed March 8, 2008

We visited the website of bath street apartments and were initially impressed with the photo presentation and text relating to these 'luxury' apartments , enough to make a booking for 6 nights unfortunately... this later became a major problem for us after arrival as most of the photos and info were about 'the other apartments' (perhaps!) and not the one bedroom we were given.

The other one bedroom on the harbour side we felt may have had the views. Our ' view ' could be seen if we leaned over the now new air conditioner portable system . A glimpse of the harbour could be seen if our curtains where not drawn to block out the hot sun and glare. The apartment door needed also to be closed to block out the glare of the house next door and the heat and glare off the metal porch. The TV needed to be up at top volume to hear it above the noise of the air conditioner which now took pride of place in the lounge/kitchen area.

Like other customers who arrive at the bath street apartments be prepared to be greeted by an owner/manager who will not probably get up of his seat at the computer to greet you - but will lean across to hand you the receipt which is very promptly and efficently processed on or just before your arrival. All evidence of 'recent renovations' will be evident for you to view in the back area which you will need to naviigate if you want a key.

Be prepared to drag all of your lugguge alone from street level up the driveway and then all the metal steps (hope it is not raining!) From this point on you may never see this man again. Be wary of the promise of 'off street parking' near the apartments as it will depend on other cars in the parking area at the time and the size of your own car . This can be a problem when coming and going as well as it is a narrow street and many other house owners nearby need to park in the street.

On our first afternoon we arrived my husband chose to have a rest after driving and unfortunately our well appointed bedroom was about 4 - 5 metres from the owner's kitchen/ lounge room/office shed etc . We were subject to his sons/himself and father entertaining themselves and cooking dinner in a loud manner . Yes they loved the chicken ! We heard every word. The sons roamed around the high slopping concrete backyard speaking loudly (where clothing hung on the clothes line for several days. ( the veiw from our bedroom ) We found his father very friendly when we needed contact with someone later but did not appreciate this 'stuff' ' which intruded on our enjoyment of a property we were paying 'top peak price ' for.

We needed to close our window and beautiful curtains every time we occupied the room to ensure privacy and to block the high level spotlights from shining into our bedroom at all hours of the night. I did mention this inconvience to his father ( the owner could only be found in the back shed near our bedroom snoring loudly at 5pm when I went searching for him to give him some feedback and indeed try to retreive mail which we were expecting,. We had difficulty getting mail from him and fortunately found his father helpful and available when we went searching to the VERY well appointed apartment downstairs.
We had major issues with the information provided on the internet about 'spectacular views' as our one bedroom unit on the top had direct sunlight from lunch through to sunset and all curtains and doors needed to be closed in order to protect ones eyes and view the t.v. Thank god an air conditioner (very loud and bulky) had been installed on the day of our arrival.

The experience just went on each day as above but was only to get even worse on our arrival home. Unfortunately, we accidently left two etems in the apartment and the story is a nightmare after this for us. ..... It is still going on 2 months later . We sent 3 emails to the owner and attempted one phone call (hung up on) and then received this one cut and pasted for you to read . It says it all.

"Yes, I remember you now, you were the extremely rude lady who stayed in Apartment 15-2.

You insulted my father during your stay here, and now you expect me to drop everything just because you say so.

I did not leave the article here, you did, and it's not my responsibility to run around wasting my time getting it back to you.

Nevertheless I did find an article that may or may not be yours and you are more than welcome to come and identify the item and take possession of it at your earliest convenience."

All the pretty things in these apartments ( which he is very proud of )are there but it lacks many things. This guy needs to do TAFE course in hospitality training and not just property investment. We decided not to write in the guests book as at the time of leaving we would just never come back. But after corresponding with the owner as listed above we wished we had but are without doubts it would have been removed or covered up.

Stayed: January 2008
4  Thank aussietraveller10032
BrettFishpool, Owner/Manager at Bath Street Apartments of Battery Point, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2008

The fact is that the overwhelming majority of our guests have a very pleasant holiday experience while staying with us.

We have a guest book in every apartment and 99% of the comments are very positive. Yes, we do liquid paper out some words like obscene language and the like, usually written by intoxicated teenage guests after one too many drinks.

Regrettably, what these reviews don’t convey is that we operate our property as Self Catering Holiday Apartments not as a Hotel.

Typically this style of accommodation (Self Catering Holiday Apartments) is operated by the guest picking up a key from say a Real Estate Agent and from then on the guests are on their own to enjoy a private holiday in a fully self contained apartment.

We have gone to great lengths to try to anticipate the needs of our guests and we provide every conceivable domestic appliance and all of the consumables that one would expect to find in one’s own home.

I live alone and I have a serious heart condition that doesn’t allow me the luxury of any physical exertion and am unable to assist anyone with heavy luggage etc.

I am an Engineer and I do design work on a computer in the onsite office (in a large freestanding building at the rear of the property, this is also where I live) that some people mistake for a Hotel Concierge.

Having said that, I make myself available 24 hours / day for late arrivals and I promptly act on every request from my guests, ranging from more toilet paper to fresh towels to replacing a blown light globe.

The external lighting at night is security lighting only, fitted with 20 Watt low energy light globes. There are no lights shining in to the bedroom windows.

There is much more to the story concerning this review however, I will not go into any more detail in this forum.

I don’t know why anyone would chose to stay in a 120 year old Georgian Style Heritage Listed Self Catering Apartment in Battery Point when they expect a 5 Star Level of Hotel Style Accommodation and Service.

Don’t take my word for it, come and see for yourself, if you are not completely happy after your first night, I will refund your money and I’ll find you alternate accommodation for the duration of your stay!