“Wonderful cost-benefit”

Ranked #46 of 53 Specialty Lodging in Hobart
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Wonderful cost-benefit”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Staying in Hobart for two nights, we've decided to try one night in each hostel, and we got surprised by the quality of Brunswick Hostel. While passing in the front door it looked like a very expensive hotel, in true it's a very good quality hostel with cheap rooms, comfortable bathrooms and a wonderful atmosphere. Don't get fooled by the impressive façade, go ahead and give a look into the rooms and communal area, and be amazed by the cost-benefit that this hostel offers.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The farther from the common area, the quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed for a week in a private ensuite room, my overall stay was ok, location was great, central location. It is in serious need of renovations as facilities are very shabby and run down looking. Its a backpackers, not hotel room quality, even if you have a private ensuite room. My stay was quiet until my last night, (singing drunks in kitchen at 4.30),

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Smack bang in the middle of Hobart Tasmania, the Brunswick is close to shops and night life. The bar itself has a wonderful, warm atmosphere with open wood fires, lovely seating areas and wonderful dining. The backpacker accomadation facilities are second to none. A fully equiped kitchen opens onto an amazing, secluded covered courtyard with ample seating. Most spectacular are the huge murals which are beautiful and funky designs. A chillout room with TV, stereo system and pool table just top off this venue as the place to be. The accomadation is cheap- one of the cheapest in town, and the online booking system is easy. I would reccomend this place to all.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank vvvvretreat
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

this is a backpackers, very cheap rates. the hotel/bar downstairs is a bit pricey for food but very tasty and lovely atmosphere. i stayed in a female bunk room and a drunk guy wandered in around 3am ?) and slept on another bunk. that's all good and well that he didn't know where he was and wandered into the wrong room (it happens) but it's a little unnerving that his key worked in my room.
internet wifi is free, so I can't really explain, except that the only place where I got coverage was perched up on a drafty windowsill in one of the communal hallways (those hallways are another story... bit of a maze)
the next night i stayed with my fiance in a double bed in a private room. the bed was clean and all, there was a bar fridge and a kettle in our room as well. the fridge didn't work (but we didn't need it).
so cheap and cheerful backpackers, probably the cheapest in hobart for the shared dorms. you get what you pay for

Room Tip: if you're going to pay for a private room pay the extra bit more and stay at a hotel. this is a...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Rooms were good for the price paid. Clean, no bad odor, good lobby, comfortable atmosphere, shared toilets are surprisingly clean on second floor (as good as private toilets). We stayed 3 nights in the double room with private toilet (room 9) and it was good. Bed was comfy, but made squeaky sounds which was still alright if you're an unlucky guy. The following two nights, we stayed in the double room with shared toilets which was really impressive, considering the price, (room 20). The location of this hotel is perfect which falls just in the heart of Hobart city itself, very convenient to shop. would definitely recommend to stay here. But also because it was winter, the heater may not be sufficient enough to keep the room temperate.

Room Tip: take the highest floor rooms, toilets much cleaner.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Oswiecim, Poland
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed here for one night before catching a flight back to Melbourne the next day. They share space with "The Brunswick Hotel" which seems to be confusing a lot of people since many pubs in Australia are known as "Hotels" due to some old laws which required pubs to also provide accomidation. That being said, the pub is called "The Brunswick Hotel" and the accomidation is called "Tassie Backpackers." Though I did not drink at the pub, I found it to be very nice looking and quite decent and the backpacker is located just inside through a second set of double glass doors.

Everyone at reception was very nice and helpful and I was allowed to check-in around 12:30pm, which was great. You have to go up a flight of stairs to get to the rooms and since this is an older building it wasn't quite the Hilton. The hallways and rooms reminded me a bit of the old apartments and houses back home in Minneapolis, and they did appear to have a fresh coat of paint and decent carpet. I booked a 6 bed dorm room which I was surprised to discover I had all to myself until a second guest arrived at about 11pm. There were plenty of power points, a circular fan, floor heater and a chair (which I don't see in dorms very often), the beds and linen were made up nice and I was able to get a good sleep.

There were multiple showers and toilets available, some better than others and some needing more work than others. Everything appeared clean and sanitary but the shower I used really needed a bit more pressure. The common area and kitchen was quite interesting, it was in a courtyard type area with a covered roof, there were some gas heaters like you see at outdoor cafes and I suspect they use these in the winter. Since there were not very many people staying when I was there, I was always able to cook my food without delay and had plenty of room in the refridgerator. There seemed to be plenty of dishes and cutlery, two stoves with ovens, microwave, kettle, two sink areas and even a dishwasher.

Since my flight the next day was not until 10pm I had a lot of time to kill and needed a base of operations to make my lunch, etc. Tassie backpackers really helped out in this department, the extra 30 minutes with the 10:30 am checkout was nice and I was allowed to keep my luggage in storage all day and even use all the facilities. The free wifi was nice and though I didn't check out the lounge room they appeared to have a pool table and some nice couches with a TV. Reception helped me book a shuttle to the airport and everything went as planned.

Overall I would reccommend this backpacker as the price was reasonable, it was clean, located right in town and everyone was nice. The noise level was very acceptable as Hobart seems to go to bed early compared to places like Melbourne. I suspect in the summer and busier months it may be a bit crazier because it appeared to be quite a big place and there may not be enough resources to support a full house, however I found it to be very quiet when I stayed at the end of March.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo