“Don't Judge a book by its cover!”
Review of St Ives Apartments

St Ives Apartments
Ranked #5 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Hobart
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I booked this hotel after reading the positive reviews. I am a hard person to please but found this to be one of the better places I have stayed. The outside of the building is a little old and run down lookiing however this has no reflection of the inside. As I travelled with my husband and 3 1/2 year old daughter we booked a deluxe 2 bedroom unit. The room was very spacious and clean. The beds are very comfortable.The bathroom is also big and exceptionally clean.The kitchen was well equipped and the supermarket is only about a 2 minute drive so very easy to self cater. The mini bar and breakfast packs are very reasonably priced. The room was serviced daily. The guest laundry and internet are also reasonably priced. There is ampls parking and never had a problem.

If I ever return to Hobart I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed May 24, 2010

Great place to stay, friendly staff. I booked this place after the review I saw, remember read one of the review saying that the place from outside isn't great, but the inside, is very clean and modern. walking distance to Salamanca market. My husband and I will definitely go back there if we have an opportunity to go back to Hobart.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2010

This place is perfect. The location is only 15 minute walk to Salamanca Place. The rooms are so nice and comfortable. The reception staff could be a little nicer, but thats the biggest issue here.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We had a very quick trip to Tasmania last weekend and only had one night in this hotel - wish we had more time.
On check in the staff member was friendly and helpful.
We had a 2 bedroom unit (traveled with our 2 adult children). Apartment was very modern and clean, nice toiletries. Ample pillows and blankets.
Mini bar was great with very reasonable prices. (We normally don't purchase any of these items due to inflated prices.) As we arrived later in the evening it was great not having to look for shops.
Easy walk to Salamanca market, restaurants etc.
Look forward to staying again when we next make it to Hobart.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed May 7, 2010

This is the second time we've stayed at St Ives and this is one of the best value hotels in Hobart. My only complaint is that it gets noisy from other guests coming and going. The doors bang shut and the noise from adjoining rooms travels through the walls and floors to the point where it becomes annoying, especially when you're trying to get to sleep or watch TV. We stayed eight nights and I didn't get one goodnight's sleep the entire stay. Car parking is always an issue. It's sometimes hard getting a park in the hotel car park and getting in and out can get a bit tight with a 4x4. Apart from these minor issues, it's still one of the best value for money hotels and I'll be back next year. The rooms are serviced daily and are generally very clean but there was a problem with dust in the room this time round. It was very windy in Hobart which may have contributed to the problem. St Ives is highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2010

My partner and I chose to stay at the St Ives Apartments as we wanted to stay within walking distance to Salamanca Place and I am really pleased that we did.

The hotel location is fantastic - within easy walking distance of Battery Point and Salamanca Place and also only five minutes from the BEST bakery in Tasmania.

We stayed in the deluxe double room for one night and it was perfect for what we wanted - large bed, big flat screen tv, large bathroom and well appointed kitchen (which we didn't need but was nice to have the extra space.)

I'm also not one for mini bars but this one was really well stocked (with a great selection of tassie wines and beers!) and really reasonably priced.

I also have to stay that the hotel staff we encountered went out of their way to be helpful. The gentleman we met on checking-in (who I believe was the owner) was incredible and directed us to some great places for lunch and dinner and made us feel really at home - not at all your usual hotel reception welcome where you just get handed your key and pointed in the direction of your room which was a refreshing change!

It also has to be said that this must be the best priced accommdation within easy walking distance to Salamanca Place as other places we looked at were asking in excess of $250 a night and honestly, if your aim is to explore beautiful Hobart then there really is no need!

I would definately stay at St Ives again and reccommend it to friends.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2010

So disappointed to find this hotel not living up to its many wonderful reviews. Where most stays I've had in a Trip Advisor favourite have started as 2-3 days and turned into 5-7, this one was booked as 7 and I wish it were shorter. I'm here for another 5 nights as it's impossible to move over Easter...and I will blog my way through the stay. I booked in October on the basis of the TA reviews so was very disappointed to find on booking in that despite the fact I was pre the Easter rush, we had been allocated a dark room on the road-side of the building. Dark. Noisy. A lousy way to start. I went and asked for a change of room and it was granted...though clearly people booking through travel agents take priority over individual bookings at this hotel - so beware. The new room was better. Nothing spectacular - a small view - the other rooms with higher numbers will have better, and just over the bottle-shop next door which I thought might be noisy, but has not been. The rooms are clean. The staff friendly. But the good news stops there. The hotel is just so noisy. There is a school party above us whose every door slam, scrape, phone-call etc etc comes straight through the ceilling. The phone next door is on 'silent' and the buzz reverberates through the wall. Our three year old finally made it to sleep around 10pm last night once we put headphones on her. Sleep for me came nearer midnight. And then the kids upstairs were off again at 7am. We have asked management to deal with it two nights in a row - but though I am sure they have said something to the people concerned, the noise levels remain unchanged and we are not too optimistic for tonight. Also, be aware, this hotel is unmanned after 9pm so if things are noisy all you get is a somewhat unconcerned night-security? person on the end of the phone from another hotel owned by the same people. Likewise if like me you return at 10pm to find your key doesn't operate the outside door - the fact that there's no-one here means that it's at least 30 minutes before someone can get to the hotel to let you in. Hopefully things will improve, but so far, a definite thumbs down....however friendly the people are, if the hotel building itself cannot keep one room's noise out of another, then you're never going to get a good night's sleep. PS Both of us woke with aching backs on both mornings so far. Could be the bed. Could be that we're feeling just a teensy bit grumpy! Still - Hobart is gorgeous as ever. Mountain and sea - who could ask for more?

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family