“It's a bridge” 3 of 5 bubbles

83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“It's a bridge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

We crossed the Tasman Bridge a couple of times on our way to and from Port Arthur. While it's the most impressive bridge in Tasmania, it doesn't compare in scale and length to many others we've seen on our travels.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank jchong

Melbourne, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good - under or over”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Long, sleek, uncluttered by loads of traffic or unnecessary structure, it's clean lines compliment the view from the surrounding suburbs and add interest to a ferry ride underneath as it spans the mighty Derwent.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Blanksia
Hobart, Tasmania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“An everyday thing for me, but (when I think about it) I'd visit it in another city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

It seems weird to review a bridge in my home city which I think of as being a way of getting from my side of the river to the city (on the less beautiful Western Shore :-)) But, when I think about it, it really does have highlights. As kids, it was the 'dinosaur bridge' to my brothers and I - because of it's shape, and it was cool to admire from a distance. It's pretty at night. It provides good views of the city and surrounds as you drive over it. But for me, the highlight is walking or cycling over it. It has bike track/walking track on both sides, and is an easy walk (looks steep, but really isn't - I'm not that fit and can do it easily) and fairly easy ride over. The walking/bike track surrounding it on each side is also nice. Walking or riding over it (if possible, choose a day that's not too windy) provides marvellous views up and down the river and over all many suburbs. It feels quite powerful being up there. I've been over the Golden Gate Bridge and others, and I really do think this is just as spectacular in many ways, if not as famous. If you happen to have a chance, it's great to walk/run over it in the main car lanes. You can't often do this, but 'run the bridge' an annual fun run currently held in January gives you the opportunity - I did it one year, and it was amazing - even though I was puffed out and wondering why I was doing a 10km 'fun' run (there's a 5km version too), I still enjoyed it. In short, if you're in Hobart, you'll inevitably go over it/be near it. It's worth a look, and I'd recommend walking or cycling over it (it's only a short walk from the city along the bike track too).

Visited December 2012
Canberra, Australia
291 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 774 helpful votes
“It's just a nice bridge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

There seems nothing special about this bridge. If you are travelling to Hobart by air then you will almost certainly go over it when driving into town. It's probably better than the bridge it replaced.

Visited November 2012
Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“Arterial Art”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

A bridge of beauty and complex history spanning this majestic waterway to join the eastern and western shores.

Visited February 2012