“Berta needs to lift its Game”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Berta.

Berta.
Ranked #100 of 594 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
“Berta needs to lift its Game”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is my third visit here since the demise of the much-loved Piccolo and alas things are not improving with each subsequent visit. Berta now opens for food on Fridays and Saturdays nights in addition to their breakfast and lunch trading hours. The coffee and the service continue to be problematic,a s commented by a number of reviewers here. During my latest visit, three menus that were chosen by our party were not available and it was only early in the restaurant shift! the waitress was particularly surly which totally spoiled the evening. The food was slow in arriving but the quality of it was fine, apart from some sad soggy potatoes. It is so sad to see the reputation of this food bastion tarnished. The wine menu, at least, continues to be terrific.

• Visited April 2014

“Tasty (but puny) breakfast and service needs work”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Arrived here on a Sunday at 2:30pm to find them packing up, despite an advertised closing time of 4:00pm on the website. Informed the waitress/owner of this fact, and was told “No, it’s definitely 2:30.” Brought up the website on my phone and showed her that it clearly stated a closing time of 4:00pm, and she thanked me in the tone of voice that a patient might thank their proctologist after an examination. I would've appreciated a more apologetic manner, given that I was 39 weeks' pregnant, had engaged the services of a baby sitter and travelled 25 minutes to get there (a long time in Hobart!)

That aside, I went there last weekend and the brekky was very tasty (brioche French toast with peaches, blueberries and ricotta) but absolutely tiny. I drove swiftly home to avoid a low blood-sugar ‘hangry’ moment, fired up the sandwich press and was enjoying a salami & cheese toastie within minutes. Crisis averted. I will echo the comments of other reviewers; food came promptly and the young waitress was charming, but we weren’t offered a second round of coffees or the bill at any point (despite staying for around 40 minutes after we finished eating). So yes, the service needs to be a little more attentive.

Hobart
“Service is a Joke”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Went here for a quick breakfast on a weekend morning. We had to find our own menu and water wasn't brought to us until we were sitting there for 30 minutes.
After having to call the waitress to take our order we were less than impressed with what was served. Eggs Benedict was tiny and very tasteless. I could have got a faster and better meal if I made it myself - and I don't even know how to make hollandaise sauce! Avoid this place.

2 Thank PrestigiousEater
Sydney, Australia
“Very good breakfast”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Ate at Berta on the recommendation of some friends.

Set in a nice older style building in North Hobart. Friendly and efficient service.

I had the French omelette with a side of mushrooms which was delicious. Coffee was nice too.

Recommended.

Sydney, Australia
“Great coffee”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

What a little gem we found while walking around in Hobart... great atmosphere and even better coffee. Very nice food as well.