“One word...Appalling.”

Quality Hotel Hobart Midcity
Ranked #42 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Arrived on 15 Feb & was asked to leave our luggage behind Reception which was overflowing with luggage & the Receptionists were literally tripping over luggage. I produced my booking comfirmation but it wasn't looked at. We came back at 2pm to check in to find that our booking had been cancelled. Why? A printout with 'Cancelled" stamped in red was produced. I had NOT contacted the hotel to cancel. The Receptionist then said, 'this is the 3rd time this has happened today.' There were an elderly couple who had paid for their room at Reception with us who had also had their booking cancelled. No help was offered to us & no apology. My travel companion asked about alternative hotels. The Receptionist called a nearby hotel at our request & we made a booking that cost us twice the price. No offer of compensation, not even a cab ride from the Mid City. We were not offered our luggage back so I went behind Reception & got it myself. I was not challenged & could have taken anything. We had made arrangements with our cab driver who picked us up at the air port to pick us up on the 17th, our departure date, at the Mid City so went back on that date & waited in the foyer for a short time for the cab. In that time one person could not get their paper work finalised, two separate people came in to complain that their swipe cards to get into the car park didn't work. No explanation was offered to any of these people. Appalling!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Anna M

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed 4 nigts .reception staff excellent.Very patient and polite.The breakfast is very poor.
The house kipping was the worce that I saw in 4* hotels.The firs day the bed was just covered as it was,I was sure that the responsable left for something and will come back any moment to continue with his work,bu no that was it.The smell in the rooms is very bed maybe because of the carpets.
Location is good just city center.For the same rate I am sure is poosible to find an hotel with better house kipping services.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed a few nights in january 2013. Rated about 30/42 hotels on this site but found the location perfect. Can walk to the mall within one block, the docks in three blocks. Salamanca also within good walking distance. Woolworths one and a half blocks away which is good for supplies. Doesn't look appealing on the outside, or inside, but provides the basics which I was happy with. Don't think it had fox sports cable tv. Car parking was free but I did not need it, which would be good for those touring the state. Can hear some street noise but that didn't bother me too greatly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mondaydump
Reviewed February 2, 2013

the room was dingy ,dirty and noisy. the shower was awful the shower rose kept falling down when the water was turned on had to hold it with one hand while had shower. the only convience was the location. would not stay there ever again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We weren't expecting much from the Midcity, as it was the only hotel in Hobart with rooms available over the new year period when we booked in October. But I really enjoyed my stay there. The location is perfect, walking distance to the harbour and Salamanca, the shopping mall, Woolworths and all the shops and restaurants in the city. The rooms are clean, comfortable and fairly spacious. There was a table and chairs, which I really appreciate so you don't always have to sit on your bed. Parking is included. There were a couple of negatives. We stayed for 4 nights and the room was barely serviced in that time - I'm pretty sure the cleaners were coming into the room, but I'm not sure what they did. The beds weren't ever made, we had the same towels for the whole stay, we had to collect toilet paper from the front desk because it wasn't restocked and the bin wasn't cleared every day. My friend who is a light sleeper was woken during the night by noisy water pipes, but it didn't wake me. It was pretty expensive ($220/night) for the standard, but I think that was because we were staying over the new year period.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BContour
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This hotel was very clean, the staff were very good & helpful. I found my floor was a bit noisy, I could hear people using their taps & showers. The hotel is an excellent position, Walking distance to the mall and the docks and Markets.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. A bit of a walk from the docks but that meant we saw more of Hobart's shopping area than we might have otherwise. Yes the building is a little jaded but the room was clean, a comfortable bed, the bathroom a good size, and best of all quiet. In fact we slept through a major fire one block away! If you can get the room for one of it's cheaper rates it's a good alternative to the over priced hotels on the waterfront.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple