“Cosy and comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 29 Hobart B&B and Inns
Australia
“Cosy and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2009

We had a great stay at the Astor Private. It's in a fantastic location, close to the harbour and walking distance to all the central restaurants and bars. The hostess, Tildy, was very endearing and the hotel, while old, was one of the most homely and comfortable places I've stayed. All very clean and even sharing a bathroom wasn't an issue. Perfect for a cheap break.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank AustraliaAmber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Bundeena
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2009

The Astor was such a pleasant suprise. A warm, friendly, cosy and central hotel at a resonable price. Fantastic if you like a small, quiet, hideaway within the centre of the city. Not flash, it's old and well loved. I liked it because it wasn't sterile or clinical but clean and cosy. The host, Tildy, is very helpful and fun. It's the perfect place for older, eco-tourists who aren't wanting a party hangout! Because it's central you won't find it dead-quiet, so take ear-plugs if you are a light sleeper. Thumbs up, I'll go back.

• Liked — Hostess, centality, atmosphere
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank riaBundeena
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2008

I had the opportunity to go to Hobart for 4 days over Christmas with some friends 23-27 Dec 08. I didn't have a lot of money to spend and I thought I might end up at backpackers with the under 25's but I found this great little B&B in the middle of the city for AUD75 per night so I was happy to find a safe, clean place at a price I could afford.

The B&B is older style - about 15 or so rooms - my room had it's own shower, basin and mirror but the toilet was shared in the hallway. All clean and tidy. I had coffee/tea making facilities in the room but no TV (there was a communal lounge room with TV). It was really pleasant to sit in the breakfast room - had a nice feeling to it - breakfast was simple - cereal, tinned fruit and toast with jam + coffee/tea.

The location was excellent - less than 10 min walk to the CBD for shopping, less than 10 mins to the famous Saturday Salamanca Markets/Square and same sort of distance to Constitution Dock/waterfront precinct. The Wrestpoint casino would be about 3km away in Sandy Bay - you could catch the bus or taxi there.
(Note - We had a great dinner in the revolving restaurant on level 17 of the casino - well worth the money. I think my beef dish was around $45 but the serving size was huge and delicious. The cocktails were around $13 which was quite reasonable, I thought. The view over all of Hobart is of course the highlight. Go for early dinner so you can enjoy the sunset.)

The best part about this B&B is the Host - Tildy (actuallay her real name is Melinda and I think it suits her!) Tildy is so welcoming and helpful - she makes you feel right at home. Nothing is too much bother. I was surprised to see so many international travellers there from UK, Germany etc. I expected mostly other Aussies - but it is a real international B&B!

I've used TA for all my holidays to Italy, Switzerland, Austria and Germany and it never occurred to me to use it for a domestic holiday - until now. Good to see TA never lets me down so here is my contribution to international travellers to Hobart - Hobart was EXCELLENT - especially if you lover wilderness, hiking and camping. I went out to Wineglass Bay at the Freycinet National Park on a day trip which was awesome (but its approx 200km each way from Hobart so better get a campervan to stay overnight around there). Then I did another day trip to the Port Arthur convict colony - which was excellent. About 100km each way and you can spend the whole day out there walking around and looking at this historical site. It cost $28 and included was a 20 min cruise around the bay and a 45 min walking tour of the site. That was the highlight of my holiday. Who would have thought that Tasmania was such a great holiday destination? With a population of only around half a million - there is plenty of space to roam and discover without tripping over other tourists all the time!

Great mini-break. I am sorry I could not get out to Cradle Mountain but that's about a 5 hour drive from Hobart apparently and too far for a day trip. Next time!!

• Liked — Location, value for money & great service
  • Disliked — I do like a TV in my room as a solo traveller.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank YasmineinSydney
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2006

This hotel is old, but it is a nice atmosphere over it. It is trying to keep the Victorian style, mostly with success. We got a room with one double bed, a sink and a shower in the corner (the funniest position of a shower I have ever seen). The toilet was in the hallway. The only problem is that my husband is around 1.80 m and the bed was a bit to short for him. Guess Victorians were not that tall. Service was good. We were allowed to park for free at the back of the hotel. They were more than helpful with recommending what to do. Breakfast could have been more fantasiful, but all the basics were there. Location was good, only a few blocks to the main street and a short walk in the other direction to Battery point and Salamanca. The room was quite cheep so the value was good.

• Stayed December 2005