“Great value for location”

and 1 more site!
Astor Private Hotel
Ranked #2 of 28 Hobart B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My single room with a shared bath was a great bargain! Tildy is fun for a chat, and was glad to have the free wifi,

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank flamyRome

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Have been staying at the Astor for the past ten years on my annual holiday to Hobart from Perth WA - wouldn't stay anywhere else! Tildy is a big reason why I return but the hotel itself offers fantastic value for money and has become a home away from home!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ceefer302
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights in January. As others say, lovely ambience and service. Good value. We had great nights' sleep in very comfortable bed. Shared bathrooms not too much of an issue - were always clean and available when required. Only disappointment was breakfast - lots of those little packets of kraft spreads which is always a disappointment. Overall though, very much recommended.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susannahaway
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We stayed at the Astor Private for two nights in January, and wished we were staying longer. Astor is a beautiful hotel, with history and great value and is run by the one and only Tildy who made our stay memorable and enjoyable.

On arrival we were able to upgrade to a better room, and this room was beautiful with an ensuite bathroom and very comfortable bed. We couldn't have been happier. Nothing was too much trouble and we shared a lot of laughs with Tildy during our stay.

The Astor Private is an absolute gem, especially if you are travelling on a budget. The location is great too, a nice walk through St David's Park to get to Salamanca Place where we spent a lot of time. If I ever return to Hobart I will not stay anywhere else but at Tildy's. Very highly recommended!

Room Tip: The ensuite rooms are fabulous.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ness_08
Reviewed January 25, 2012

You're greeted with eclectic Hobart history - and that's just Tildy the hotel's manager! I had a fantastic time at The Astor - it's often challenging when travelling alone to find somewhere in a city's CBD that isn't generically dull, a full on party HQ or a boutique Pied a Tierre. If only there were an Astor (and Tildy!) in ever city...

If you want new millennium starkness then go elsewhere - but if you don't mind shared bathrooms and appreciate 1920's architecture and interiors this is the place for you. A five minute walk, via the lovely St David's Park brings you to Salamanca Place and the docks. Perfect for Fish & Chips or Cocktails in the the evening sun.

Now - I'm pretty well travelled but some days ya slip up... I accidentally locked both of my padlock keys INSIDE my suitcase and Tildy kindly hack sawed off the padlock. Now THAT is service on a Saturday night.

A comfortable bed, a continental breakfast and friendly banter between guests and host - the perfect city break hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank GoRove2
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I recently stayed here on 6/1/2012 in a single room & shared bathroom.
Toilet & bathroom across the hall from my bedroom and there was never a wait to use them.
There is a lovely breakfast room with continental breakfast supplied which was very nice.
I will definately stay here again.
The hotel manager is very accomodating, she offered to mind my luggage whilst I went to the Salamanca market on the Saturday morning.
Tip there is a lift on the ground floor to send up your suitcase to the 1st Floor.
I had a lovely dinner with a friend at the fishy bar (casual dining & take away).

Room Tip: Luggage lift on the ground floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Dianne P
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Astor hotel is unique in its own way -the owner, Tildy, the location and the cosiness!

I stayed for 8 nights and I couldn't bear to leave. Tildy made me feel so at home though I was a solo traveller. She treats all her guests like friends and goes out of her way to help them.

The location is a big plus as u can wander around Hobart city by walking.. To the docks, to Salamanca place and market and to the malls! A value for money for such location!

I hope I will be back soon! :)

• Stayed: December 2011