“Excellent Location, good B&B”

Edinburgh Gallery Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 28 Hobart B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Excellent Location, good B&B”
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I stayed there 3 nights with my partner. I particularly appreciated the location : 15 mininutes walk to the CBD that's just perfect. I like the help-yourself breakfast arrangement. It has a shared kitchen and dining area plus small area for atching TV, felt like a guesthouse. Free parking out the back is a bonus.The room was nice, especially the bathroom which was quite big.The rooms had a large queen bed, two seater couch, day bed large wardrobe and plenty of space.The decor was definitely special! The bathroom was clean and functional. Overall, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I stayed at the Edinburgh Gallery B&B throughout my five nights in Hobart and here's a few things I'd like to share.

1. Breakfast
- Yes, the claim is that breakfast is included. But expect none, and you will be glad to find some if you wake up earlier than the other patrons. In any case, it was just some bread, jam, cheese and ham - all stuff that shouts cheap. Consolation is that there's free flow of milk, cereal, milo, coffee and tea throughout the day, so you can make a cuppa milo at night or something, and it's free.

2. Accommodation Expectations
- Think of this as a backpackers and you'd be in for a treat because it is definitely a lot better than that, and not at all shabby for the price we paid (although we'd attribute it to low season rates as well). I stayed in a room for two that consists of two single beds and toilets were two floors up ($50 per night for two pax).

3. Service
- I did not call to have my room made up throughout my stay there. In any case, there was no staff at the reception 99% of the time. Apart from having the staff show me the room when I was there, my stay there felt like I rented a room in a sharehouse as opposed to staying in a B&B.

Overall, I would have given this accommodation an Excellent if not for the fact that the breakfast was dismal and I could do with a little Tasmanian hospitality.
A Very Good rating is given considering its fantastic location (walk-able distance to Cascades brewery, female factory, Louisa's walk, CBD, Salamanca market, art museum etc.)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Electric blanket not working (others had same problem that we talked to at breakfast), free "upgrade" that wasn't requested, room draughty via "arctic" bathroom, not enough food for breakfast, no coffee, no butter, manager would not accept complaint or allow us to speak to the owner, manager advised "what do you expect for the money?", receipt was not provided for cash payment on check in (wonder if the owner got the$), some rooms very noisy, nice old building in a good position to walk into town, none of the guests could raise the young Chinese managers in the morning ......... Lost us and our network of potential customers and probably a few more from the people we talked to.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank loopi62

Travelers are raving about these Hobart hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I stayed at the Edinburgh Gallery Bed and Breakfast in late May 2010. It was the first time I have stayed at a B&B and I must say, I was disappointed from the outset.

On arrival, I went to the front door and rang the doorbell three times - no response. I then called the contact number three times, no answer. Finally after my third try my call was returned and I was let inside. I was advised the doorbell doesn't work properly (um, perhaps you should spring for a new one then??).

I was shown my room and the breakfast facilities. In the morning I went to breakfast expecting (as advertised on the B&B's website): poached fruit, yoghurt, local Tasmanian produce, cereals, a cheese platter, locally made crumpets/breads/pastries, freshly brewed coffee and a selection of teas and fresh juice. What was actually provided: a dodgy platter made up of a selection of cheap olives, cheap salami and ham and cheese that looked as if it came directly from the supermarket shelves. Bread, cereals, orange juice. No fruit. No yoghurt. No pastries. No crumpets. Definitely no "local Tasmanian produce". On the upside, soy milk had been provided as I requested.

I left out the "Please Make Up My Room" sign the first morning of my stay. Right. The bed was half made (doona pulled up over crumpled sheet, that's it), the dirty cups I had used for tea and water glasses were left in the room, the empty toilet paper was not refilled and fresh towels were not supplied - the one I had used was simply folded up damp and left on my bed. Gee, thanks. Needless to say I did not bother to ask for my room to be "Made Up" again.

Finally, no-one is ever in Reception. Not in the morning, not in the afternoon, not in the evening. There is a bell to press for assistance, but given my original issues with the front doorbell, I don't know how much use it would be!

Overall, I was quite disappointed and I think this B&B is over priced for what you get. The "communal lounge/TV room" had no heating, so why would anyone use it for socialising? There were TV's supplied in room, but this doesn't really encourage interaction with anyone, which I thought a B&B would be more about as opposed to a hotel.

I would also agree with other reviewers in that the street noise is quite loud, particularly as the windows do not seal properly.

I will not return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank MishkaGirl
Adelaide
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I usually stay in hotels so I didn't have any firm expectations about what a B&B provides. Here at Edinburgh Gallery I was pleasantly surprised. And if this is the norm for a B&B I will say it is a cross between a hotel and a hostel with costing also between the two.When I arrived I was shown the communal kitchen where a continental breakfast is served, and my room (I love it when I am shown my room - as this doesn't tend to happen that often).

It is a old style 2 level house complete with creaky stairs and stained floors, and has some really funky modern artwork on the walls.

The kitchen is well equipped with modern equipment and all communal areas were clean.

The Edinburgh Gallery is located at the top end of Macquarie St (where the CBD is located more around the bottom end and around Elizabeth St) but even so it is an easy 15 minute walk to the Elizabeth St area and about the same to the lovely Salamanca Square and market.

I really enjoyed my stay here - you won't necessarily see the staff much, (well I didn't in my 3 night stay) but you don't really need to. It is clean, good value for money, with a good location.

There are a couple of niggly things, as the hall way is not carpeted, the doors are not very solid and the gap in the bottom of the doors is quite big, it is quite easy to hear people coming and going. And the traffic noise can get quite loud especially if you have the windows open, but these can be overcome with ear plugs. I visited in April and it was a little cold in the rooms so I imagine it would be really cold if you visited in Winter.

Overall I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne
Reviewed March 31, 2010

Great value B&B located close to Hobart CBD (but still a fair walk from the action). Our room was charming, bed was so so comfortable with crisp linen, nice TV, bathroom was basic but adequate, convenient parking out the back.

Breakfast was a little puzzling (help yourself to toast, cereal etc in a communal kitchen/dining room, as well as olives and sun dried tomatoes?) but staff were friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Mel
Reviewed February 4, 2010

My partner and i traveled to Tasmania for over Christmas holiday and have stayed in Edinburgh gallery b&b which is a very nice place. I would recommend to anyone, who would travel to Hobart for any occasion, to stay there. Here are some reasons

1: i booked the Executive en suite for our stay. The room is very clean and is quite large as well. It has a lot features such as nice timber floor, paintings, clean bar fridge, a big private bathroom is attached to the main bedroom.

2: the breakfast in the morning is marvelous, we were given many options on the bench so that we could easily help ourselves.

3: staff there are very professional and friendly and welcoming