“Bungling, Unskilled Staff, Main Road Location”

Edinburgh Gallery Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 28 Hobart B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Bungling, Unskilled Staff, Main Road Location”
Reviewed January 11, 2010

We booked our 2 night stay here around 3 months in advance as we were aware how busy Hobart is in early January. On arrival we were told that our booking hadnt been taken properly and that we would have to find alternative accommodation for our first night, but that we were welcome to return on night 2 for a discounted rate (as if we were going to do that). Irrespective, this is hardly an ideal B&B being located on a very busy road, confused inadequate parking, a very long walk to the main attractions of Hobart, the reception and waiting areas looked far more youth hostel than B&B and I was glad to not have to waste $200 / night here. If in Hobart, try Battery Point Manor instead for far nicer accommodation at better prices.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SydneyMilhouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane
Reviewed December 28, 2009

As a lover of heritage places (which is one of the best things about Tasmania) I am biased towards the Edinburgh Gallery B&B. Being in a 100 year old building, I expect little quirks like floors being slightly off-square and creaking stairs. Overall, this place is a great find for the budget traveller. We spent only one night but would happily return. Main reason we chose this place was that it could accommodate our extended family group of 3 singles. We had an ensuite bathroom plus there was a shared bathroom, so noone needs to wait for a shower! Service was fine, staff were polite and unobtrusive. We asked if we could eat breakfast at 7am, earlier than usual, and our request was accommodated. I like the help-yourself breakfast arrangement. It has a shared kitchen and dining area plus small area for atching TV, felt like a guesthouse. Free parking out the back is a bonus although you have to carry your bags around the front. Really, for $100, we were delighted.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
nsw australia
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Sorry to say but the web pictures must be very old. Our room was right next to a busy highway and the council was digging up the road while we were there which didn`t make it any better,i felt like it was a backpacker hostel and the amount of money we paid ($170)we could have done better else where. Wont be going back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank stunnedmullet

Travelers are raving about these Hobart hotels

Singapore
Reviewed March 30, 2009

When I arrived, my reservation was lost, and it took 30 minutes of sheer mayhem to finally get a room. The room was clean and recently refurbished. Wireless internet, which is supposedly included in room rates and promoted on the web site, was not working, and there was nobody to help. Only cleaning staff were present all day, and they had no clue how to fix the internet. The manager was invisible for my whole stay.
Check out is at 10am, which is quite standard, but when I asked to wait in the common area until early afternoon as my bus out of town was only at 2pm, I was told by the cleaning lady : " you have checked out, cannot stay longer". As usual, there was no manager around so I had nobody to complain to.
Overall I was quite stunned by the lack of hospitability of the staff, which spoils an otherwise nice B&B

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank yyySingapore
Comox, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Arrived to find they had lost my reservation. I had emailed months before and also phoned.
They had room for the first but I had to find another place for the second night.
Do not have a car if you stay here parking very bad. I dinged my rental car due to poor parking.
Room ok. Nice breakfast area but had to wait for anything other than cereal. On 2nd stay I gave up on waiting for bread etc.
Not sure why the good reviews. I am afraid my memory of Hobart will not be good in part due to my stay here

• Liked — not much
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank cactus52
qld
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Two adults with children -we stayed 2 nights from Brisbane in verandah ensuite room - and were made to feel welcome but private at same time;. great decor altho a few deficiencies -bathroom cramped and outdated , light bulb not working in lamp, rugs in hall dirty but kitchen/dining spotless. Fluffy towels . child friendly,parking at back. New appliances, fantastic paintings ,lovely bedspreads/ linen and comfy chairs,ample breakfast altho no cooked breakfast. Overall felt homely. Interesting variety of other guests. would be wise to ask for room at back if you are worried by noise.

• Stayed December 2008
Australia
Reviewed December 6, 2008

This B&B is a short-ish walk from the central attractions of Hobart. It's uphill from all the action, so good for a brisk walk after a big meal at Salamanca Place.

The rooms are large, nicely decorated and well maintained. Our ensute was spacious with a shower over the tub. The breakfast was OK, although the "continental" platter of cheese and meat didn't look that fresh after three days.

However, I wouldn't stay there again. Here's why ...

1. You should like NOISE to stay here. Hobart friends tell us Macquarie St is the busiest in Hobart. Admittedly it's not downtown Sydney but it's still a busy street on a slope with accelerating/braking cars starting/stopping at the intersection on which this place sits - yes, right on the corner - with no double glazing.

2. I'm not sure what nuances attach to the term "B&B", but we got one replacement set of towels in our three-night stay. Otherwise the room was not serviced, including tea and coffee not being replaced, bathroom not cleaned and bed not made. We checked with another guest who had the same experience.

3. When we booked we gave a credit card number but were NOT told that one night's accommodation would be deducted as a deposit. When I got my statement (the week before we went) I found the "deposit" had been deducted twice. The person who had made the error (and since left the B&B) had left a note saying the machine had malfunctioned, but nobody made an effort to ring to explain, despite having my number. I had to ring them to find out what was going on. We did get a 10% discount as compensation.

4. The place seemed mostly unattended. Except for somebody being there the mornings we checked in and out (and another instance of replacement towels), there was no evidence of anybody being at the B&B other than the few guests who were there when we stayed.

5. One morning the water in the shower was lukewarm. Other mornings it was hot. Only one light globe in two overhead lights was working in our room.

• Liked — size of room
  • Disliked — busy corner location and noise
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple